iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good for what Ails You?

Started by Corley5, March 21, 2002, 08:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I cam across this tonic recipe in this months edition of "Farm Show"  
Pour 1 quart rye whiskey over 2lbs juicy beef steak that has been cut into pieces.  Let stand 24 hours.  Strain and bottle, take one tablespoon or one wine glass or as much as you feel is needed three time a day.  
I'm just not sure about it :-/  Wonder how the steak would be after that marinade?  Not so sure about drinking the marinade :o.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

L. Wakefield

OOhh- now that's an interesting one. If you did it in the fridge, the alkyhol MIGHT be enough with the low temp to keep it healthy enough to drink. The meat might be linda 'scorched' chemically speaking but would probably taste quite interesting. I wonder how much protein and vitamins/minerals would be broken down or extracted? They used to make 'beef tea' as a nourishing supplement.

Do you think they were serious about this? Was it a real old-time recipe?

I'd way rather make a raunchin good BBQ sauce and just lace it liberally with- well, bourbon by preference. Then a jolt or two into the cook while yer waitin, and cook it slow til the house smells so good you can't keep the fam-damily back anymore. Might not even need grits to make that good.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Corley5

They seemed serious enough about it.  It was listed with half a dozen other recipes.  It originally came from what I assume is a book titled "Crocks, Pots, and What-Nots".  I think frigeration would be key to keeping it from becoming more poisonous ;D.  

Bud Man

Might ought to use a loooong fork putting it on the grill and don't take a breath of air case it flairs up.  :o  Careful - kerfil specially if you 've had a few  :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

DanG

You get "Farm Show" too, C5?  Is that a great mag, or what? There's some DanG great ideas in there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

I've been getting it for a few months and am very impressed 8).  Great examples of good old fashion farmer ingenuity :)

DanG

I've been getting it for about 5 years, now. Funny thing, when I get a brainstorm for something really revolutionary, it'll show up there in the next issue. I must be telegraphing all my best ideas to folks that actually do things. :D

Did you see the forklift attachment on that ATV?  Kevin needs one of those on his snow scooter. 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

L. Wakefield

OK- sounds like a 'must have' mag..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

DanG

They don't have a website, but I'll try to post their ate-hunnerd number this evnin.

Bibbyman

This may be back on the topic but,  I've been taking ginseng tablets the past couple of weeks.  I think they've helped. Supposeta' be good for fighting infections.    ::)

One change that has happened,  last Sunday Mary and I were on a drive-about when WHAAAAA! my ears opened up.  I could hear again!  :o It was really weird and almost drove me crazy hearing all the annoying sounds I couldn't hear before.   I had this happen a couple of years ago when I was on vacation in Montana but they closed back up again after a few hours.  My ears have been generally open since Sunday.  My sinuses have been draining and my head does not feel like it has a balloon inflated in it.  

Now I'm really conflicted,  should I keep taking the ginseng tablets and put up with the noise and drippy nose or not? :-/
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Hey, Bib! Swaller them pills with a swig of C5's Porterhouse Firewater. You'll still hear all the noises, but you won't really care. 8) 8) :D :D :D

L. Wakefield

They do have a website! And they have a cd for $39.95 that has all the previous issues of the mag. I looked it up using dogpile, my favorite meta-search engine. It's www.agworld.com  . I mean, I haven't subscribed yet, but check it out and see if I'm right. Could there be 2 of them?  lw

Corley5

www.farmshow.com  or 1-800-834-9665  They do offer the the last 25 years of issues on CD for $39.95 + $2.95 S&H.  They offer videos of some stuff too.  Try the tonic Bibbyman.  Let us know if it works ;D

Jeff

There is a pretty neat list of woodlot related inventions. I thought it was going to let me see them :( Gotta buy the C.D. to see em, though its probably worth it eh?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Each issue has a lot in it.  I would say that 25 years worth would be quite a resource.

Don P

I can't remember the name, but a captain died at sea way back in the time of sail. For some reason they were trying to keep him to take home. Into the rum barrel he went...They were delayed on the return trip and times were dire and I think the alchohol marinade will kill about anything it runs across :D

Bibbyman, sinuses are one thing...has Mary asked you to keep taking the 'sang? ;D

L. Wakefield

Yes, I can totally believe sinuses would be at major risk in all that sawyering. Earplugs are commonly accepted. (Even earplugs can lead to trouble if there is already sawdust in the ears and earwax. I've heard of people who got incredible blockages in their ears of wax and sawdust combined with the use of earplugs chronically packing it in there with each use.) Noseplugs are not used as far as I know, although masks may be. I knew a guy who had major trouble from wood dust and sinuses, and another with the sinuses and sheetrock dust. Interesting that sang works.

Anyone suggest echinacea, by any chance? I'm not much for using it, but I know people that do. It would be more in terms of an immune system booster and if you are dealing with an allergic sinusitis that could be good OR bad. If you are dealing with physical plugging- I dunno. The herbal folks call sang an 'adaptogen'- generally helping the body to respond better to stress. Most people seem to consider that in the context of helping people deal with fatigue- esp older folks- along the lines of a general 'tonic'. I like this story about the sinuses and the ears. I'll look into it.

FWIW, the PDR Herbal claims that the leaf and flower (the herbal parts) of echinacea species are good for the treatment of 'chronic infections of the respiratory tract. I read it, but I can't say I've tried it. Like I say, depending if you were having an allergic reaction that plugged your sinuses the echinacea could help or could make it more severe. :P   lw

Thank You Sponsors!