iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking my diesel to Alaska

Started by Qweaver, January 27, 2014, 08:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

GM in their wisdom, put a 24gal tank on the diesel pickup.  At 13 to 15 mpg loaded that's only 300 or so miles between fill-ups at the max.  So on this Alaska trip I'll need to carry spare fuel cans.  So, where do I put them with the truck bed full of camper?  I could build some kind of shelf that hangs down the sides of the bed.  Nothing good comes to mind with that idea.  Maybe beside the door on the back of the camper.  I'm paying for 31' on the ferry and if I take the truck, I'll only use 22'.  Maybe a 6' trailer to haul "stuff"   Planning, planning, planning.  ::)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

firecord

Put a rack on top?  Buy a large polly tank that can be mounted in a dead space in the camper.  just thoughts

fuzzybear

Most I see are strapped on top of the camper wrapped in trash bags right next to the extra full size spare tire..  There are a lot of dirt roads here in the north hence the trash bags to keep the dust out.   Make sure you have at least 2 full size spares...it's a long way between tire shops.  Also..make sure your lugs are torqued correct so you can get them off by yourself. It really sucks trying to get lug nuts loose that someone  over tightened with an air gun.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

clww

What about a removable tank like the ones used for boats? Attach it to the top of the camper.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Some folks use a "Hitch Hauler" that inserts into your hitch receiver.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

If your camper is just bed length, get a couple of "jerry cans" and mount them on your rear bumper!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Warbird

If your trailer hitch isn't covered, get one of those hitch shelves.

sawguy21

Where are you going that you will be more than 300 miles between fuel stops?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

Here in the BC interior that are limits to how many portable fuel cans you can carry on our inland ferries. I have no idea what the rules are for coastal ferries. Might be an idea to do a little research  :P.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Qweaver

The trailer hitch mounted carrier should be the solution.  We came close to running out of fuel several times on our trips between WV and TX.  Some places just roll up the sidewalks after 9 pm.  I 'd rather have the security of spare fuel.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Bill Gaiche

Qweaver

Checked out the camper today.  We really liked it.  Looks very sturdy.  Don't think this one is going to leak.  It's very small but that is what we wanted.  Full size bed and no table.  We'll just use a folding table.  This is a new camper and a real bargain at $6200, +$550 for the mounting hardware and labor to mount it.  No AC or refrig. but 3 burner cook stove, water heater, furnace, sink, Propane tank and hookup, lights, power vents, etc.  I looked really close at the quality of the construction and it looks really good. 
Put the deposit down today and get it mounted Thur.   Then it's "Alaska here we come"  We will save over $1000 on the ferry fee by not taking a trailer.  I've always wanted a truck camper so that we could take the sail boat with us.
We are really getting excited about this trip.  8)

Magicman

That means that even with the Hitch Hauler you should still be less than 25'.  That's good.   :)

Are we gonna get a picture?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

When I got my truck it had a 36 gal tank which I had removed and a 65 gal Titan Tank put in. Titan Tanks are made of heavy poly same as original tank and there are dealers all over the country, not cheap but nice.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

At our prices, I would need to take out a mortgage to fill that tank. :o Are you boarding the ferry at Seattle or Prince Rupert? You would be traveling through Canada at a good time with our dollar hovering at 90 cents U.S. Sure gonna bite when we go south.
Are you taking the Alaska highway one way? Fuel is readily available but try not to go much below half a tank, it can be a good distance to the next station. You won't find many if any campgrounds open before June and a lot of roadside turn outs like gravel pits will be snowed in. Watch the weather and err on the side of caution. North east BC is wide open prairie and DanG cold this time of year with no place to hide from the wind.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandhills

Take note of what Brucer said, the last trip my uncle made with the '55 they made him empty his extra gas can before boarding the ferry.  He had a stepside box and always carried it there right behind the cab.  Also take advise about the extra spare tire, we used both ours in about a twenty mile stretch on the Alaska Highway, and we had new tires on the truck before we left.

Qweaver

Was it the Canadian or US ferry that made you empty the tanks?   What's on the roads that caused you to lose tires?  We will only be using the Canadian ferry on the southward trip when we plan to stop in Powell River to visit friends.  I travel gravel roads on a regular basis here in WV (we live on a crushed rock road) with no problems.  There most be something different about the Alaska roads to cause this many problems.  I will have two good spares with me.

Quinton
We are picking up the camper today.  Pics to follow.

m wood

qweaver, the AlCan (and other Alaskan paved and dirt roads) deal with massive freeze thaw issues and they just cant get those miles repaired.  Plus you have massive vehicles travelling them which means massive wear & tear.  TAKE THE 2 SPARES, you wont regret it :D.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Qweaver

Getting the camper mounted on my truck has been a nightmare.  We got to the dealer at 10:30 this AM.  It's now 5 pm and the camper is still not on the truck.  1st the $500 mount kit would not fit and after hours of a poor attempt to modify the rear brackets I just stopped them and I'll properly fit the brackets myself.  The fronts fit OK.  Then when we tried to load the camper it will have to be shimmed up 4" to clear the cab.  They are making 2x4 cribbing now.  I'd like to get home be fore dark!  It ain't happening.  These guys do this all the time...they should know how.  :(

BBTom

Sounds like you need a 4" high fuel tank the same shape as the truck bed.  Solve 2 issues with one tank. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

sandhills

Qweaver, sorry I can't tell you for sure about the ferry route because I wasn't on that trip and my uncle passed away,   but if memory serves correct it was the U.S. side, and was also shortly after the 9/11 tragedy.  As far as the tires go it was shale that sliced both of them, from slides down the mountains (we had to drive through, more or less).  Not trying to scare you by any means just be prepared and I guarantee you'll have the trip of a lifetime  :)!  Won't matter much what route you choose either.

Qweaver

Gas mileage.  We got 17 mpg running empty at 70 mph going over to get the camper.  Got 14 mpg running 60 mph coming home.  I'm a little surprised at 3 mpg difference at 10mph less.  The camper is less that 2000 lb. but lots of added windage  and drag increases at the square of the speed.  I'll try a test run at 70 and 50mph to see how much that changes the mileage.

Magicman

Don't be surprised.  I drop 3 mpg with my truck camper which also weighs 2000 and the speed does not seem to matter much.

Mine is a "popup" which gives it much less wind resistance when traveling.

And then when we get to where we are going, the top cranks up.

Qweaver

I'm going to fab a trailer hitch mounted carrier and I think some shorter steps like yours would work well fastened to it.
Bad news this morning, the camper is too tall by just a few inches to fit in any of my sheds.  I will have to put a lean-to roof on one shed to allow it to fit.  Dang!

Mooseherder

Thank You Sponsors!