iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got a tractor. Now i can get a log moved.

Started by woodjunky, March 01, 2016, 07:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodjunky

Went all in last year. Got a 2001 hydraulic lt40. and a Nyle dehumidification kiln. That spurred on by purchasing our first 3 acres of wooded land.... Spent the last of my money on rigid insulation. got rubber roofing... Ready to mill right???

yea,,,,, no.  You would be suprised how hard it is to get a log to the mill without a machine. I fought it and rachet strapped it and come alonged it... I got some wood cut. But wow. Thats a LOT of work...

So i bought an old tractor. Pull an old trailer i have and now i can go get a log!!!. Switching it to 12v from 6v right now. first. Im stoked.

WV Sawmiller

WJ,

You have my heartfelt sympathy and congrats on the tractor. I use my 4 wheeler, a log arch my wife had built for me to move firewood trees years ago, on occasion my little homemade rear log dolly, several cables, a couple of snatch blocks and on occasion my pick up truck.

I keep looking for a good cheap used 4wd tractor with a loader, bucket and forks that I can find without going into debt - preferably one some one wants to trade for lumber or sawing. I am sure there is one out there somewhere but I have not found it yet. I'd probably be better off to settle for a decent 2wd, get some pallet  forks and a blade and upgrade when the opportunity arises.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

This is what I first started out with... It worked out pretty good for only being 14 HP.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

woodjunky,what kind,hp,is this old tractor??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodjunky

had to do some research today to find out. Its a 1953-55 Massey Harris  "mustang". Model 23.    23 HP. Its a fairly decent sized machine. Has a front bucket on it. havnt seen one online with the bucket attachment yet.

Sweet machine there KB :). I like the front counter weight. Get er done!!!

That log arch is nice Magicman. But im on a budget after all my spending lately. I have a old home made truck 1 ton flat bed trailer i salvaged. It will work ok for this year. Last year i borrowed a friends 4wheeler and drug some in... Got a sweet lesson in dirt in the bark... lol

fishfighter

I have a1975 Ford 2000 diesel with a set of home made hay forks that I have moved some big logs with. But I use my backhoe more now to move logs. The tractor, I use it to move stickered lumber stacks with said forks.

DDW_OR

I have a Mahindra 5520 4x4, 51 hp, 45hp at pto
I use pallet forks and a Farmi Winch.
I remove the bucket then attach the forks.
the winch has moved some BIG trees.

the only change i did to the Honda Rancher is moved the stuff on the right to the left.
this way i can hold a ladder with my left hand and drive with the right.
"let the machines do the work"

Magicman

Quote from: woodjunky on March 01, 2016, 08:46:38 PMThat log arch is nice Magicman. But im on a budget after all my spending lately.
Sometimes we have to do what we have to do:  Outrigger Log Arch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gearbox

If you are going to 12 volt don't forget to put in a balast resistor to cut the voltage to the points back to 6 volt . Most parts houses have them for under 20.00
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

whitepine2

Quote from: Gearbox on March 02, 2016, 07:35:31 PM
If you are going to 12 volt don't forget to put in a balast resistor to cut the voltage to the points back to 6 volt . Most parts houses have them for under 20.00

Better still get red of the points and get an electric set up and don't look back will be glad you did. Take the 20.00 and put it toward the upgrade,my super-M farmall only
turns over 2 times and running as long as it's got gas.I can leave it for mounts even in
coldest weather has always started for me.

woodjunky

Read a little about that yesterday, whitepine. I think thats the way Im going to go. Got everything put together today. And the wires were sparking. Something wrong with what I did. Because it starts and runs with a 12v battery. followed the diagram exactly. Went through it in my head to the point where its clear. But its not working... going to bring a couple batteries tomorrow and finish the couple cherry trees im milling for my shed floor. come back to the tractor later. But the cherry trees are 100 ft away from the mill and im not carrying them... victory!!! lol

starmac

Not understanding the wires sparking, which wires. Were you hooking the alt wires up after the battery was hooked up or you talking about the battery cable sparking when you tried to hook it up?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

whitepine2

Quote from: woodjunky on March 02, 2016, 11:36:18 PM
Read a little about that yesterday, whitepine. I think thats the way Im going to go. Got everything put together today. And the wires were sparking. Something wrong with what I did. Because it starts and runs with a 12v battery. followed the diagram exactly. Went through it in my head to the point where its clear. But its not working... going to bring a couple batteries tomorrow and finish the couple cherry trees im milling for my shed floor. come back to the tractor later. But the cherry trees are 100 ft away from the mill and im not carrying them... victory!!! lol
Runner on12 volt did that for years before changing to electric,just disconnect any lights or stuff that runs on 6 volt,change coil to 12 volt and runner. Points may burn out quicker but replace 12 next time the need be. What kind of tractor do you have?

Thank You Sponsors!