iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Camping with the Grandkids

Started by Howdy, June 03, 2012, 01:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

I took the grandsons camping this weekend. 

The men's group at church organizes a guy's campout at a great state campground called  Detroit Lake here in Oregon and it is a well-done event.  This year both of my grandsons (Matt aged 10 and Zach aged 12) were looking forward to "doin some fishin and makin smores" as we had attended last year and had a good time so we were primed and ready to go.

I started several weeks ago recruiting someone to go along with us so if and when my body needs rest I would have someone to help with the kids and fishing.  I had asked several friend to come along but no one was able so with faith that all would be well off we went to have a good time no matter what. 

Trying to round up camping equipment was a challenge as family members had used it over the last year and it came back in rough condition but my daughter was able to supply enough to help.  I found a great deal on a large tent on Craigslist and the wife and I set out to get it but she wanted to stop at a local store and see what they had on the way.  So of course we found just what we needed without the long trip for a used tent. 

I spent two days packing the car and there was not a bit of room for even so much as a french-fry after loading the boys and a quick Prayer for a safe and enjoyable trip.  Three hours later we arrived around seven o'clock at the campground in good spirits.  Setting up camp was no problem and the boys wanted to play cards in the tent, as rain was a hit or miss kind of thing.  Old Maid, Blackjack, and Poker passed an hour or so until the boys were ready to sleep. 

Around nine another family arrived to share our camp space and spent a long time setting up their tent and tent trailer.  The children were noisy and were yelling as they ran around exploring and the adults concentrated on getting the trailer just right.  No help was either needed or wanted so I stayed in the tent and hoped my grandsons were not awakened.   I use a CPAP air machine to assist my breathing as I sleep and had ran an extension cord from the only electrical outlet to my tent for both the CPAP and an electrical heater as I was too old to enjoy a freezing nights sleep.  The other family found my extension cord was worried loudly about who was hooked up to "their" power.  Finally they decided to remove my cord and plug in their trailer and then plug in my cord to it's external outlet.  All was fine and at last they went to bed. 

At four o'clock or so Matt woke up with a headache and just didn't feel well.  He finally was able to sleep until just after six when he was ready to get up and start a fire.  We spent a while talking and sharing until enough time had passed I figured we would not disturb anyone else the day was begun. 

Both Zach and Matt went fishing and exploring with friends until time for breakfast provided by the leaders consisting of delicious looking bacon and pancakes with melon and juice.  Matt was not interested in eating but tried some melon anyway.  By then I needed to return to the tent for rest and soon was joined by Matt as he was feeling poorly.  It was not long until he was vomiting the melon and almost made it out of the tent.  A call to Mom and some meds resulted in his being able to get so healing sleep.  Zach joined us before long and we all took a nap until time for lunch.  So far a good time was being had by all! 

Neither boy was interested in eating even though I made some great sandwiches and chips.  Some more vomiting and calls to Mom and the decision was made for Mom to make the three-hour drive to rescue him.  However soon Zach decided he had had enough of God allowing his fishing line to be tangled (I explained how the fish were masters of causing fishing line to tangle and God was not the reason for his problems).  He wanted to return home with his brother so I called Mom and explained we were breaking camp and coming home before they associated camping with not having fun.  We tossed everything in the car without worrying about packing carefully yet somehow nothing was missed (I hope), at least we left a dry and clean spot where the tent was.   A couple more vomits in the car as we left the campground resulted an orange seat but we made it home at last.

Arriving home I was too tired and feeling poorly so unloading the car is left for tomorrow and I took a much-needed nap on a soft bed that was flat and level.  I had dinner of hot dogs out of the cooler and although I heated them via a microwave rather then over a campfire they tasted just fine.  The boys are home and my returning home a day early surprised the wife.  Now the only thing I have to worry about is how to explain to my daughter we somehow melted her camping whistling teapot lid and handle.  It was a nice looking pot too! 

thecfarm

That's too bad that one was feeling good. Good that you took the time to do all that. There is always next year. You are a good Grand Father.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

The stomach thing was a bummer, but I would be rescheduling another trip.  A good trip will make that last one just a "remember when".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

I too think it is great you did this with the Grandboys.  I will be an interesting memory for all.  Another trip is in order after some time to heal.  Camping is such fun and a learning opportunity.  The bonding is great and food just tastes better.  Smores would be in order on better feeling tummies.

sandhills

Great job grandpa!  Kids need more of that kind of attention these days, sorry about the sick boy but as Magicman said it will be "a trip to remember".  Take them out as often as you can, neither you or them will ever regret it!

Thank You Sponsors!