iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Break-away stakes

Started by Tome, January 18, 2005, 08:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tome

Don't know if that is what they are called but I am refering to stakes on a flat-bed truck that will fold down to unload logs from the truck.

My question is how do they work, any pics anywhere?

Thanks, Tom

Frank_Pender

Tome, What I did on my first F350 back in '79 was built a wooden flatbed on top of a 10 ton hoist.  I then took some 3/4" cold roll and put an 1 1/2" round eye on one end.  I has used 25 ring count logs to make 4" x 6" cross beams for the decking to be attatched to for the truck bed and notched out for 3' channel to be place on the frame for the hoist.  There were dsix of these cross beams for the bed.  At the outside ends of each cross beam  I drilled a hole for the 3/4' rod to to fit through and bent them so that the end with the ring stuck out right and the end of each beam.  In this way the ring at the end of each beam became a hinge of sorts.  Through the front three rings I ran a piece of tripple wall pipe and did the same for the rear three rings.  To each tripple wall pipe I weled three 24' pieces of double wall black pipe to act as posts to attatch my rails for side racks.  When I wanted to unload from the side, I simply would drop a side and unload the material.  
Frank Pender

J_T

Around here we call them trip bunks got a set on my log truck if I knew how to take pictures I would post . If you got some free time come take a look 8) you might even make an improvement . Did know where thare was a set of self loaders at think he wanted four or five hundred for them.
Jim Holloway

Frank_Pender

We are not allowed to have trip bunks hereabouts, any longer. :'(
Frank Pender

Jeff

I dont believe we are either due to safety concerns.

I remember back when several of the loggers used wooden back stakes made from oak pulp. They would get to the mill and then cut them half through at the base with the chainsaw, then lift the bed. We are talking pretty fair size trucks. 6 to 8 cord loads, tandoms with back lift axles. If everything went right the stakes would brake at the same time and the the truck would get shoved forward 20 or 30 feet and you would have a decent little pile of logs. IFeverything went right. Most times one stake broke before the other, setting the pile off in a side ways direction, making one heck of a mess. I can remember one truck that forgot to put a releive cut in his stakes and the whole bed broke off sideways. Lucky for him it didnt flip the truck over with him in it, although it pretty much mangled the frame.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tome

I wasn't aware they were illegal.  Can't they be made safe though?  I've never seen them although a friend tried to tell me how they worked.  I don't know if they are illegal in Missouri or not, I'll have to find out before I attempt to put any on my old one ton.

Thank You Sponsors!