iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In michigan

Started by land_owner, November 06, 2004, 09:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

land_owner

In michigan will a mill buy Maple logs from a private land owner who is not a logger ???

Jeff

If it is your own land, and you are doing it totally by yourself, then most of the time yes.

Do to comp restrictions, most any other scenario requires the mill to request and require proof of workmans comp in order to purchase. If a mill is caught buying uninsured logs, thier insurance will be cancelled.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

land_owner

Thanks for the info jeff 8).

AtLast

Um Jeff...there are exceptions to the rule...there are many variables and can effect how the WC applies...if its a small sawmill op than thats sole propriatorship and the WC can be wavered with a $750.00 waver thats refunded year to year...also if the sawmill picks up the logs from a pvt land owner and " face value is exchanged than the pvt land owner NOT WOOD LOT owner assumes responsibilty on insurence and the person hauling the logs only need have liabilty on the vehicle hauling the material as long as its a " not for hire"....it goes on and on BUT all in all theres always a way around and the " loop holes" as they may be can surpass the WC regulations on SOMEONE purchasing the logs beyond a pvt industry.

Jeff

Certainly there are exceptions to any rule but usually the truth is its a different game not different rules.

Corley5

When we've sold logs from the farms in years past the mill required us to sign a form stating that we were covered under our farm insurance policy and were in no way in their employ.  Worked for them and us 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

That would be your workmens comp. Unisured wood is probably the term we use the most.

Thank You Sponsors!