iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question About Setting Bandsaw Teeth

Started by LUV2MILL, July 19, 2015, 09:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LUV2MILL

Ok so I spent all this time building a blade grinder, I sharpen two blades take them out to the saw to test  them and I'm really seriously relieved because they are cutting really well :)

Nice flat cuts, smooth finish-on Hickory that came from a decent wood lot-It's all good right.

So I lift off a board about halfway through cutting this log and about a third of the way along the cut it's all jagged and from there the blade rises about 1/8". So I'm studying the face of the cut and there it is metal :'(

So when I'm examining the blade It doesn't appear to have any broken teeth but some have to be really offset bad to be leaving such a ragged cut.

So now my question. I've looked at a lot of setters but I don't see how any of them are addressing teeth that are too far out, they are all just making sure the teeth are set enough. What do I do to address teeth that are over set?

Andre

See ya
  Andre' B.

LUV2MILL

Ox

I've hammered them flat, bent them back with a crescent wrench or vise grips or pushed them back with the setter itself.  I prefer the wrench.  Any of these work fine unless you end up with a blade that hit a backstop and ended up looking like a peeled banana.  Half of those teeth broke off when trying to straighten them.  I still saved it for garbage or questionable trees.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

kelLOGg

To unset a few teeth I use an idea I got from a fellow FFer.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ga Mtn Man

In previous threads on this subject pictures have been posted of a homemade hand-held device consisting of some rollers mounted to a piece of bar stock.  Perhaps someone can find and re-post the pic  ???.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

pineywoods

The problem with setters that will "un-set" an overset tooth is they don't do the raker teeth, which normally have zero set. Sawing into metal will frequently bend some raker teeth as well as cutters. I make a habit (learned the hard way) of taking a hammer and anvil to the rakers of blades that are damaged before setting and sharpening..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Good point Piney!  ;)

If I notice a tooth that's way out of whack and severly damaged, it will become a raker too.  smiley_smash  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

:D  Yeah, I have a couple blades that have missing teeth, more rakers than normal, even half teeth.  Good for garbage logs.  It always amazes me how ratty and beat up a blade can be but still produce a halfway decent cut.  One blade I have has about a foot and a half of no teeth at all.  It still cuts pretty good!

On these nasty blades I have to watch carefully when sharpening because the claw will come back and try to get another tooth and it'll either hang up or miss and the wheel will come down and in a blink of an eye I'll lose another tooth in a huge shower of sparks. :-\
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!