iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eastern red cedar log to cant

Started by rconkie, July 26, 2015, 02:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rconkie

When sawing eastern red cedar logs how many inches can be expected to be lost typically in the sawing from log to cant?

Ocklawahaboy

Depends on a lot. 

I've seen pics of nice cedar logs here on the forum that would probably only lose a couple of inches from each face.  What ERC have here in fl are yard trees that are heavily tapered with deep flutes and are hardly round at all.   I'm a hack compared to most of these guys but, looking at the small end, I often lose several inches on each face, just trying to get down to a cant without bark inclusions. 

Cedarman

Before you  can figure how much to take off, you must know what you want out of the log.  Jacket boards tend to be good one face, so make good paneling.  Also depends on size of log.  If log is perfectly round, then cant size is determined by the diameter of log.  Geometrically speaking, take the diameter, multiply by it self, take 1/2 of that, then take the square root of that answer.  For example, 7" square is 49, take 1/2 of that (24 1/2), 24 1/2 is close to 25 and square root of 25 is 5, so a 7" log will square up to a 5x5 with no bark on corners.  But since cedar is not perfectly round you can sometimes get a bigger cant because of the squarishness of the log.  Then again a triangular log will yield less.  If ingrown bark  is a problem , then adjustments have to be made. 
We let the log dictate what products can be made and saw accordingly.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

alanh

I have a callback from a builder who has a small mtn, (or a very large whack) of erc logs on his property,I visited once and the problem was he
A) wasn`t really sure what he wanted out of them,and
B) he had expectations that he could get a 16 ft 8x8 out of a 9" small end log.
 I gave him some basic info about dimensions, yields, uses etc,  and suggested if he wants to move forward he get them separated into like sized stacks and I would revisit and come up with a plan. I honestly didn`t think I would hear from him again.
 He called back this week saying he has the small ends cut off down to even sizes, (16, 12, 8`s) and stacked with his telehandler, which he will use /operate to load, he also says he will provide as many handlers/off loaders I need, he also said he doesn`t care what I yield from each log, use my judgement as to the best yield, he prefers 8x8`s but will take what the big ones yield, is ok with throwing away anything I don`t mill....
 going tomorrow to meet, I haven`t milled much cedar, not sure how "rustic" he wants, probably just going to suggest hourly as its probably the best deal for him with all the support
 Any suggestions?

Darrel

Have a plan for each log before making the first cut. Ask yourself if you can get an 8x8. If yes, cut to get the best 8x8 possible and whatever side lumber you can. In no, still have a plan for what you believe to be in the log and how best to get it out. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kwill

It takes a really big cedar to make a 8x8 16ft. I've got some here on the farm that would do it.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!