iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoked turkey for Christmas

Started by Downstream, December 26, 2022, 09:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I decided to go all in for Christmas and smoked the turkey for the family meal on my Weber WSM.  First time smoking anything other than pork so my wife also baked a ham in case my smoke did not go as planned.  I was worried a little about the temps(project to be single digits as high)  since coldest I had smoked before was in the twentys.  Fired it up at about 5:30am and it was up to temp and the bird was on by 6am.  5.5 hrs later it was done and ready.  One small problem I had not thought about was how to get a 15lb turkey off the smoker without any silicone heat gloves.  Aluminum foil and welding gloves quickly solved that until I can buy a pair of heat gloves for future smokes.  Turkey turned out fantastic flavor and moist.  Looking forward to 2023 and pushing the smoker to its limit on my freezer full of meat.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Turkey looks great!

Just watched that movie it is funny and old!

Downstream

That is one of my wife's favorite movies for the holidays.  That was the nightmare scenario I feared so she also baked a ham as back-up.  Good news is we did not need the ham.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Thank You Sponsors!