iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insect Id

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, June 16, 2003, 07:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I am cutting several ash logs and some walnut I was given from B.I.L. I was getting the ash done first as I have heard it is prone to bugs. I have a bug that I wondered if you folks have seen. It has legs like a grasshopper but has an body that has stripes on it like a bee or yellow jacket. It can fly sort of. I have never seen this bug around the farm before so I figured it came with the wood. I know this isn't a exact description but it is close, any ideas of what this thing is? ???
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Bibbyman

I seen some bugs that looked like that a couple of years ago.  They were all over a fresh cut hickory.  Happend my brother-in-law was having an open house that weekend and I took a couple for some of the old timers to see.  None of them had see this bug before.  I think I posted a picture somewere here on the forum.  Maybe I can find it.

Was the thing about 3/4" long and could half-way fly/hop?  I never seen on "fly off" but rather just fly about 3' and lite again.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Neil_B

Just saw 2 of them today. they are really skinny and yellow/black colour. Didn't notice if they flew.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Tom

Do you see him on here?   grasshoppers

Neil_B

Not mine, Tom. Mine were like really skinny wasps.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Tom

this is a Red Headed Ash Sawfly.   Does it look like this?

Kevin

What's it taste like, that might help ?

Tom

This is an elephant.  does it look like this?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Neil_B

??? :D :D :D Nope, not the grey thing. The other bugs not it either. Not the one I saw anyway.

Will try and get a pic if I see one tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow!!

Man, I gotta get some sleep :-*

Furby

This is a Jeff B.

Does it look like this ??? ??? ???

Mark M

Hey Jeff - that's quite a Nintendo outfit you have there :D

Steve_M

Iowa

About that bug.  Is it the same one that is on page 40 of the current ISWLM mag???  If so they are calling it a banded ash borer.  I have had them bad in freshly sawn hedge post and firewood.  Those bad boys make some noise when they eat.
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

Thank You Sponsors!