iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard water white pine removal

Started by Kevin, February 11, 2006, 11:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

Quote from: jon12345 on February 12, 2006, 06:38:43 PM
What did you do with the limbs, leave them where they lay for some post ice out fish habitat ???

Quote from: Kevin on February 12, 2006, 07:37:09 PM
We loaded up the limbs on the log arch and took them across the lake with the logs where they will be burnt, every last little stick and there's a bunch, we also raked the ice.

Trees in the water are the very best cover for fish, especially in the northern lakes that have very few weeds.  It is my opinion that any chance you get to leave a big section of tree in the water will do the lake good.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Coon

Max.
I beg to differ.  Evergreen trees are very high in acid.  Although one tree will not significantly raise the acidity level of the water body,  I do believe that if it hadn't fallen into the water or onto the ice naturally it does not belong there.  It takes only one person to start an almost irremoveable (very long term)process that in turn changes the ecosystem of the water body.  If everyone started to do this we would lose many of the fish and habitat, if not all.  It often takes hundreds of years to bring the acidity levels down to normal.  Many lakes to the northeast of here in the Porcupine Provincial Forest Reserve do not have fish in them due to these reasons.  Windy Lake  used to have a sawmill where spruce was sawn on the ice in winter.  This was back in the 1920's and 30's and acid levels are presently twice the normal content of what it should be.  I have sent some pics away to be scanned for use on the forum.  I will show you how they had the whole lumber camp and mill set up.  If I can also find my local history book I will share some of the writeups.
Brad.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Max sawdust

Coon,
OK The way I said that was not to bright on my part ::) ::)
Yes Pine has much acidity, and acidity is a problem in many NE lakes.  Setting up a mill on a lake or everyone dragging trees to a lake would not be good ::)  Especially Pine, now that you made me think about it. :o

My line of thought was on lake shore development, where everyone wants a sandy beach and a pier.  They clear all the wood out of the water and then create constant waves with water skiing and jet skis.  This hurts the Eco system along the shore line.  No sun-dew, no pitcher plant, no sphagnum moss, no orchids, just rocks and mud.

I am not an expert on this subject, just speaking from what I see around me ;)  Our little lake has lots of natural tree falls into the water, and it is about the only cover for fish, and a great diversity of plants and animals.

Thanks for the correction and making me think ;D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Coon

Sorry about jumping on you like that, but is in my greatest concern to help the environment out.  I hear what you are saying though.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bill Johnson

Now Kevin I wasn't going to ask about the trash on ice (being the polite fellow I am ;D) but its good to know it was all cleaned up and taken care of.

Nice tree.
Bill

Kevin

Bill, I even took a branch and covered up my tracks as I backed out of there. ;D

Ironwood

Quote from: Coon on February 13, 2006, 03:03:10 PM.  I am building a tracked skidder unit out of an old Subaru DL front wheel drive car. 

You goota love that, making a skidder out of a SUBARU!! I have owned soooo many of those. I have beat the snot out of most and they just keep going. I think I have had, ............7 or 8 loyals, one legecy, now a 2003 forester (with a knock around 1985 Loyal at the shop). I skidded trees at my Grandmas farm with one, another I hauled a very heavy (3000lb) loaded canoe trailer up a insanely steep gravel road on the Yough river when a co workers Rover broke down. The tranny was never the same but we got the boats into the water and I (or the on lookers) will never forget what that little car did that day. It was the loosest washed out steepest road/ trail you could imagine that would be passable by truck/ van. It really defied gravity
                Reid

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Kevin

This is the end result of that White Pine that was taken just across the lake from this cottage.

SwampDonkey

Nice cupboards bub.   ;D

Mom had my poor grandfather take horses and yard white pine logs to make cupboards. He cut the trees to fall out over the river on the ice and he yarded the logs down the ice and up a gully to a road. The pine laid too long in the following spring/summer and they turned blue green with mold when sawed.  :(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

The carpenter must have went out of his way to find boards with knots because most of that was clear.  :D

WDH

Those cupboards are beautiful, Kevin.  It is very satisfying to go from a live tree to a finished product all on your own with no commercial retailers in the loop.  99.9% of people cannot do that.

We are lucky and blessed at the same time to be able to do that.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Kevin on June 20, 2008, 07:57:00 PM
The carpenter must have went out of his way to find boards with knots because most of that was clear.  :D

The ladies like the knotty pine look.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

This is what they use to look like.
The logs were milled at that same cottage with the LT-15.

nas

Quote from: Kevin on June 20, 2008, 07:57:00 PM
Was the carpenter working on a trade?  It's amazing how you can give a carpenter clear lumber and the finished product has knots in it :D.  If you go to his house he probably has some nice clear pine cabinets in his kitchen. 8) 8)  I've heard of the same thing happening at sawmills when they are sent a clear log and the lumber comes back very low grade.  A couple of guys like that will give the whole trade a bad name.
  That being off my back, the cabinets look great!  Is the countertop also pine?

By the way did you skid the logs with the Argo? how big a log can you skid in the winter with it?
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

Brings up the thought of the time I took an elm of 30 inches (but end), 8 feet long to a portable mill and it morphed into oak and a reply "what elm?", when I asked for it.  ;D :D :D

leweee

Quote from: Kevin on June 21, 2008, 07:19:25 AM
This is what they use to look like.
The logs were milled at that same cottage with the LT-15.

Did she run out of gas in the cut......or was ya just toppen her off. ;D

BTW Nice Kitchen Cupboards 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

nas

There is the flip side of that.  I had a guy bring me a 24" "walnut" that was actually a butternut but I was sure to tell him before I milled it.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 21, 2008, 11:57:27 AM
Brings up the thought of the time I took an elm of 30 inches (but end), 8 feet long to a portable mill and it morphed into oak and a reply "what elm?", when I asked for it.  ;D :D :D
Did you get 100 bft instead of 300 too?

Judging by the mess in some small mills yards I think sometimes they honestly don't know where your wood is so they give you the first unclaimed pile they can find :-\
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

Never got a darn sniff. I think he skipped wood ID class in Ranger School or something. But, as I drove out of the yard with some of my newly sawed lumber, from other hardwood logs that laid in the grass at the mill site for 2 years , ::) I took a quick peek in his shed and saw my elm stickered in a stack. Good riddance and never to return. All I know is he lost a lot of business over the years for being a crook.

nas

Honesty is always the best policy.  When you get caught dealing crooked the word spreads fast.  Word of mouth can be your best or worst advertising.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

beenthere

From the looks of the log on the mill, under Kevin, there are plenty of knots showing on the bark surface.   Don't think many clear boards will come from that section.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I didn't want to say anything, but..........  ;)

Even if the log looks clear there could be old healed knots closer to the pith as you start shaving off those boards.

:-X

Kevin

I suspect the bottom log was clear but can't remember.
I can't remember if the mill ran out of gas either, it looks like it might have.
Those bottom logs are probably around 1500 lbs., I do remember we had to have at least four people in the Argo for weight to pull them.

QuoteIs the countertop also pine?

Yes, also pine.

WDH

Quote from: Kevin on June 21, 2008, 07:19:25 AM

Kevin,

You are not going to be able to burl that log unless you release those dogs!  Floating it in a little water would help too :).

I tried log burling in college........I was a miserable failure.  Up on the log, then SPLASH!  Usually face first ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

What, WDH? You don't know the log driver's waltz? ;D

:D I remember the National Film Board had a video of a log drive and a little song along with it. It starts out with actual log drivers in the beginning, then switches to a cartoon waltzing on a log during the drive.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPDi9DzihrE

Thank You Sponsors!