iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad loggers

Started by jd540b, August 12, 2014, 05:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

I honestly don't understand how these guys who don't pay get away with it.  A few weeks back when bringing a load of logs to the mill a guy literally came out into the road and started flagging me down, I thought for sure I had a wheel falling off or something like that.  Got stopped around the corner and he came driving up as I was walking around and looking under the truck completely perplexed. 

Turns out the guy owns a large chunk of land and it had been cut on the winter before, you can see over 100 AC from the road alone, and he did not get a penny for it.  He has more and wanted to know if I would look at it to cut it for him, he gave me the name of the logger who had been there, when I asked at the mill I was told that same logger usually has unhappy landowners.  To top it off the poor guys house had burned down. 

No idea how these guys stay in business.  Like everyone else said, you did the right thing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Woodboogah

I see it all the time here (Southern NH) a lot of them are "free tree removal" they leave the place looking like a tornado blew through.  Some of these lots I am sure warrant free removal to cover the cost, junk and few trees.  Then some of these lots are beautiful to begin with, then trashed, stripped of the money wood and left.  These "loggers" have a terrible reputation and stay working.  Only if the landowner had a little education and knew that they could potentially make a buck or at lease have a good looking lot.  Blows my mind that a poor quality job and bad reputation keeps you busy.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Black_Bear

Quote from: Southside logger on August 14, 2014, 11:22:45 PM
I honestly don't understand how these guys who don't pay get away with it.  No idea how these guys stay in business.

The bad apples around here just keep moving around, spanning 4 or 5 counties. It's easy to travel when you are pocketing all the stumpage. Also, it's pretty rural up here and a landowner often won't know of the loggers reputation. What's worst is that the landowner won't do any research or obtain references, they just see dollar signs...until the end, when they have little or nothing to show for the wood.

jwilly3879

From what I hear around here it is sometimes who gets there first. LO needs some money and wants it now, can't wait for a logger who has work.

Thank You Sponsors!