iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eye Protection and Logging / Saws

Started by mdvaden, May 07, 2008, 11:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdvaden

It probably was not until the 7th time I watched Ax Men, that I noticed that the men were not wearing eye protection while running the chainsaws.

Where you various folks live and work, is it the same way?

Tom

Being an eyeglass wearer and not accustomed to seeing eye protection except around manufacturing shops, I'm one of the last to notice the lack of safety glasses on anybody. 

I've always been told that my glasses are enough.  I'll have to admit that I've wondered why everybody doesn't have to wear glasses.  When the Gov. began requiring them and even created OSHA to enforce safety stuff, it made sense to me , with the everyday dangers of living, perhaps everyone shoud be started out in the first grade with eyewear.

I also think that all vehicle drivers should wear helmets and face shields.  And, everyone should wear steel toed shoes.  I'm not sure how to get them in high heels, but, I'm sure OSHA could find a way. :)

mdvaden

Before Lasik, I wore glasses too, and they did the job to stop chips.

After the surgery, I dilly-dallied about eye glasses for about a year while using a chainsaw. But got tired of flushing my eyes, and having watery eyes when I really needed to see what was happening or where I was stepping.

So I put two pair in my truck. One sunglasses for summer, and light colored for whenever. Now that I'm putting them on whenever I run the chainsaw - or even polesaw up overhead - it's so much better.

In my case, they are not what I'd call "comfortable", but I find them more comfortable than the discomfort of chips and dust in my eyes.

So I wear them for safety, but the incentive started with comfort - or less discomfort  ;D

thecfarm

I'm the first to notice someone not wearing glasses on a job that I feel they should.My Father grew up in an era where people who lost eyes and limbs were commom.He would always say something about glasses if needed.My Father would always tell me,you only have 2 of them,be careful.I have noticed some of the guys do wear eye protection on the show.Some of them wear odd glasses that I have never seen around here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kevin

I wouldn't work in the woods without a face screen, Dwayne just about got smacked in the head by a spring pole on Ax Men, safety glasses aren't enough protection.
I was smacked once several years ago and the screen took the hit.

ohsoloco

I know of several tree services in the area that I occasionally get logs from where none of the guys wear eye or ear protection.  Just thinking of feeding a chipper without hearing protection makes my ears hurt, let alone running a chainsaw all day  ::) 

Even with safety glasses on, I still manage to get lots of sawdust in my eyes...especially the fine stuff from the bandmill  :-\

Ed

Being in an industrial "enviroment" for 25 years, eye protection is a routine thing for me. If your not wearing safety glasses you aren't going to be in any shop for very long.
When cutting wood, I wear a Foresty helmet, protecting my eyes, hearing & my noggin.

Ed

Woodhog

I always pull down the screen on the forestry hard hat, those little dry knots and pieces of wood fly past at terrific speed. I cant cut anymore without the screen down. The other day I walked about 1000 feet into the site, picked up the saw and had no hat/screen. Went to start the saw , thought a few seconds , put it down and walked back out to get the hat/screen.
of course you have to remember to put it up when you need to spit.... :D

Ron Scott

Eye protection should been worn at all times while working in the woods. Eye injuries can be very serious and expensive with loss of work time.
~Ron

ohsoloco

Funny you mention that, Woodhog.  I got one of those helmets with the face screen and ear muffs (the ear muffs work much better than ear plugs).  Apparently I'm not quite used to my screen yet...had to clean a little spit out of it the other week  :(

zackman1801

those face screens that come on the helmets are much better than the safety glasses IMO. They provide better protection against flying things kicked up by the saw or things that fly up off the ground, they provide protection from falling stuff and such, plus its not getting fogged up due to weather or heat like the safety glasses do, but i will say when they get wet the water can bead in there and make it hard to see. They also have hearing protection attached which is much better than earplugs again IMO. you can take them off and put them on in seconds and dont have to fool with rolling or sticking them in right. plus they fold up out of the way, no need to worry about loosing them.  The helmets and the sets of face and hearing protection are invaluable, im not sure why  its just mostly the East coast guys that wear them, dont see them much out west, some in BC and other parts of canada. can any of you guys from the east coast tell me?
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Corley5

We wear Husky or Peltor chainsaw helmets.  I usually wear safety glasses in addition to the screen.  I like the screen for walking through brush too  8)  Never used to think much about losing an eye or hearing damage but I do now.  Much damage was already done to my hearing
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ohsoloco

Yeah the helmets are wonderful.  I don't wear safety glasses in addition to the face screen only because it prevents the ear muffs from seating properly.

KGNC

I was cutting around my pond last year and was wearing sunglasses with my helmet because there was so much glare off the water. Later in the day I took a break, took my helmet off and pushed the sunglasses up on my head. When I went back to work I put my helmet on and it didn't feel right. I took it off and inspected the liner 3 times before I realized I was trying  to put it on top of my sunglasses.  :-\

John Mc

Quote from: ohsoloco on May 08, 2008, 11:39:36 AM
I got one of those helmets with the face screen and ear muffs (the ear muffs work much better than ear plugs).

I wear the helmet with face screen and ear protection anytime I use a chainsaw. I do like being able to see and hear (well), and plan on continuing to do so for a long time to come. The ear muffs are more convenient, but they're very hot in the summer. I switch to plugs then. I've found some plugs with better noise reduction than the muffs (assuming you get them in right). I got the kind on a string, so I can tie them to the helmet, or hang them around my neck when not in use... otherwise I'd be losing them every time I took them out.

Had an older Elvex helmet (4 point suspension). Just replaced it with a new Husqvarna (6 point suspension): fits better, stays on better, and the ear muffs have a higher noise reduction rating.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zackman1801

yeah i just replaced my helmet too. had some kind of forestry helmet, but i replaced it with the helmet my dad got at work and didnt want, it fits better and its also rated for electrical use.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

submarinesailor

Quote from: ohsoloco on May 08, 2008, 11:39:36 AM
(the ear muffs work much better than ear plugs).

I very respectfully disagree with you on this point.  Please check the "NRR" rates on both the muff and plug type hearing protection and you will find that very few of the muffs have a rating of over 27.  But, a good number of the plugs have rating over 30 - some as high as 33.

I have said before and will say it again.  "If that all possible; wear both, plugs and muffs".

Bruce

zackman1801

yes but as long as the muffs lower the decibel rating enough your going to be ok. when i run my saw, with my earmuffs on i can hear my saw, but its not loud, and it sure  does not hurt my ears the same way it does when i have them off.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

ohsoloco

I haven't found any ear plugs with ratings that high.  I used to have some really nice rubber ear plugs that worked great, but I lost or wore out all of the ones that I had, and I can't find anymore  :-\  The muffs are quick to drop over your ears, and consistent in their muffling.  The foam plugs I have now need to be in "just right" or they don't work very well.

rebocardo

I have thought about both plugs and muffs, but, many times I need to hear at least something. Especially a top falling or when cutting into a questionable tree, being able to remove a muff quickly for a crack sound.

I think if I take up chainsaw milling again, I will wear both, and not answer the cell phone  :D

submarinesailor

Check there out at Gemplers: http://www.gemplers.com/product/MAX8/MAX-Earplugs-Corded-100-Pair

I realy like these.  Of all the ones that I have used over the years; these are the best.  Which reminds me, I need to order an other box.

Bruce

zackman1801

although for a few bucks more you could have this
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=35700
plus it will last longer too.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

SwingOak

Back when I worked at a machine shop, one day the foreman walked up to a guy running the next lathe over from me, and said, "I'm ordering some supplies this afternoon - what color glass eye do you want?"

"Huh? What do you mean?" the guy said. And the foreman replied, "What are you, brain dead? If I see you without your safety glasses on again, you're out of a job. I'd rather have you unemployed than missing an eye."

We're required to wear safety glasses everywhere in the plant at work, except office areas and the lunch room. Maybe a little excessive, but I've always worn safety glasses anyway.

Well, last week I was pulling nails from a skid left over from a big piece of machinery just delivered from Austria (I'm bringing that wood home!) and a nail I was pulling out of 6 x 8 flipped up from the crowbar and went smack into the lens of my safety glasses. There was a divot from the nail point dead center of my right pupil. So I went to my office and got a new pair.

I wear safety glasses, ear plugs, and these days a hard hat too when running a saw. I don't like ear muffs because they're hot. Maybe fine in the winter, but not when I'm sweating. Ear plugs are a lot more comfortable for me, and I'm used to them.

Ed_K

Glasses plus the screen, and its great to keep some of the blackflies at bay right now too.
Ed K

ohsoloco

Sub, those are good earplugs.  I've been using a different kind of foam plugs, and I'm less than satisfied with them.  I just happened to find an old pair of the kind you linked to, and the sound reduction is easily noticed.  I think that extra flair at the ends really helps.

I've only had my helmet w/muffs since Feb.  I'm sure I won't want to wear them this summer for extended periods.  It's amazing how warm that helmet and muffs keep your head and ears when it's below freezing.

Thank You Sponsors!