iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Virus?

Started by sawguy21, January 12, 2011, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I have started getting something called PC Maximizer popping up on my screen every time I turn the 'puter on. It won't go away without a fight. I ran AVG which does not recognize it and AdAware SE which told me I had some critical issues. I dumped the cookies but the DanG thing won't give up. Anybody know what this is and how to send it to pergatory?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DouginUtah

Try http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

If that doesn't get rid of it, try Malwarebytes.

Then run CCleaner.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Radar67

It's best to run them in SAFE mode. You have to prevent the bug from loading in the registry, when you boot the computer, in order for one of those programs to kill it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Warbird

The guys have given you great advice.  Let us know how it goes.

beenthere

Safe mode and going back in time prior to the malware infection with a system restore did the trick for me.

I had some help, and couldn't have done it myself. Nor can I quote how to do that.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

The same people who gave you the virus are likely the ones who want to sell you the fix.
The Malwarebytes folks who Doug mentioned helped me out tremendously.

Warbird

If you have System Restore (it's built into Windows) available, it might be the best way to fix this.  I have fixed many infected/compromised systems via that method.

sawguy21

Thanks guys. I tried Revo Uninstaller but it did not do the job. Funny thing is everything seemed o.k. at Christmas but was a complete cluster the first time I fired it up after we returned from vacation. The local geek said it was a mess, probably sneaked in with an e mail. I am careful with that but obviously not careful enough.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

Did you try the System Restore or did you have this other person fix 'er up for you?