iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soft Maple Use

Started by Gabby, September 16, 2005, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabby

Question- Have a large quantity of med. sized sofr maple ($0 cost except my time to cut the logs) Can soft maple be used for a flat hay rack. Rack would be painted and keep dry when not in use. tks in advance.
Never enuf time

oakiemac

I would say absolutely. Soft Maple is a nice wood to work with. cuts easy, machines nice. I don't think it is very durable when exposed to the elements but if you paint it and take care of it you should have no problems.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

SwampDonkey

If ya had white ash or white oak, I'm use it instead. If that soft maple is going to be out in the elements make sure the end grain is sealed good with something. I've seen maple get dotie quick around bolt holes.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frank_Pender

Many wooded paintbrush handles are Western Big Leaf Maple.  I have sold some lumber to make such handles, but alas the buy has passed on and I do not know who his customer was at the time. :'(
Frank Pender

Ernie_Edwards

As a point of interest, just yesterday I was looking at a handbook on the trees of Michigan.

On the soft Maple they said that the "soft" came from the tree easily losing its brittle branches in a wind storm, that in fact the wood was considered very hard with a tight grain.

beenthere

Ernie
Looking at the "Wood Handbook", the maples are divided into 'soft' and 'hard'.
Hard maples include sugar maple, and black maple. The 'soft' maple group includes red maple, silver maple, box elder, and bigleaf maple.
Looking at the specific gravity, strength, and hardness numbers; there is a distinction in the separation of soft and hard based on which ones are harder, stronger, and more dense. (Not sure why the 'brittle' branches would enter into the separation, but maybe its from a tree identification standpoint or possibly some local promotion).

Just the 'side hardness' values (pressing a ball into the wood) at 12% moisture content, the two hard maples have values of 1180 and 1450.
These values for red, silver, and bigleaf respectively are 950, 700, and 850.  Boxelder isn't listed.

Red maple is a soft maple that has the better strength and hardness values of the soft maple group, but is hard to separate when in lumber form, according to the literature.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I'm not sure the red maple are so brittle to wind breakage unless they are dead and dry. They're pretty tough, take hold of a green branch and wrestle with it a bit. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!