iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Impressive Sawyer/Mill - Video

Started by Cutting Edge, February 04, 2012, 05:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutting Edge

Some of you may have seen this.  Some, maybe not.  Found this on YouTube and was very impressed.  Thought I would share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6wrqEnqYc&feature=player_detailpage

Think this sawyer is expendable?
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JV

Several things would stop me from ever being this fast; my wrists, arms, shoulders, eyesight, concentration, I could go on.   :o
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

eastberkshirecustoms

Nice, a cant in 24 seconds! Boy that turner really throws the log around.  Almost makes me miss being around the circle mills.  :(

beenthere

That Jeff in that cab? Bet his shoulders ache just watching that. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Beenthere, donethat.  That's only a 2 headblock carriage. sounds like he was crowding that beech log for the camera.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Oh my. I wonder what they were doing with the cants after that? If he was that fast, why didn't he just cut them up into boards? Or maybe he was making RR ties?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ohio_Bill

I thought I was a Hot Shot sawing 6 an hour.  I can't even think that fast.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

pnyberg

That's so fast that it's boring after about 30 seconds.

--Peter
No longer milling

Okrafarmer

It was so fast my computer couldn't keep up with the video!  :o
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Chuck White

It's always impressed me as to just how fast a circle-saw can be!  :o :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

I bet the operator station has AC.  Just think, there are crews or machines working just as fast, feeding and taking wood from this mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Thats why you cant ( ::)) make it as a small guy sawing ties when competing against the big boys.

In the big pine mills with the sharp chains and the curve gang saws, they can saw twelve 16' logs per minute and produce over 60,000 BF per hour.  Our best could produce 1 million BF a day of dimension pine lumber in two shifts.  No way to compete with that. 

Like Cedarman says, find the niche  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

I assume rr ties. That is some production from a small mill but as WDH suggests, no way anyone could meet demand and be cost effective with such a set up. It would have to be a niche market the big guys don't want to bother with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bandmiller2

That job looks more stressfull than an air trafic controller,I'll stick with my handset thankyou. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jeff

That's the job I had for 25 years, and it is the toughest job in the mill and the hardest on the mind and body.  He's probably cutting ties as it looks like hes cutting dense northern hardwoods. He might asl be squaring up to go to a gang or resaw, but looks like ties to me. 

QuoteIf he was that fast, why didn't he just cut them up into boards?

If you can pass the cant on to a gangsaw that resaws into boards in one pass, think how much faster that is than if he was to saw it himself into boards.

Shotgun

Jeff, why don't you put up the link to your sawing videos back in the day.  Good spot for it here.   :D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

There's not a whole lot of footage of me sawing, and what there is, is pretty bad quality, but there are two clips I have on youtube that I've posted on the forum in the past.  The first one was taken of me sawing, but not really showing the mill. The second one shows a little more mill. This is what I did 8 to 10 hours a day, and for several years an additional 6 hours on Saturdays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3PftuULqdk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VPJ-Ojha-s

stavebuyer

Thats pretty typical of commercial tie mills in TN & KY. He is sawing 7x9 crossties. A two headblock Hurdle mill will cut 400 ties a day. Side lumber is often seen as a "by product" to some of the folks that run these mills.

Ron Wenrich

Put a vertical edger on there and your world starts to change. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cutting Edge

I could imagine how tired a fella would be after a day of that kinda work.  I would think the mental drain would be the worst.  Either way, I know I wouldn't be able to coordinate fingers, arms, eyes, etc. to even run at a snails pace.  If it was me, they'd be lucky to edge out tomato stakes...  :D

Jeff, in the video it appears you had more to do than a pilot...WOW     :o

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Okrafarmer

Some peoples' lot in life is to be quick-thinking, quick-acting workers. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.  :(  :-\

petefrom bearswamp

Jeff I too noticed the laboring of the mill while sawing the Beech.
that thing goes too fast for me.
Regarding your video,  no grey in your hair back then eh?   
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

jueston

i used to operate an excavator and the joy sticks looked similar, but simplier, and i sure wasn't operating them that fast....
i watched it twice and its just crazy....

Okrafarmer

On the other hand, when the way is clear, I do operate a Bobcat almost that fast. I have to be careful or I get whiplash.

Thank You Sponsors!