iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID snaffoo

Started by metalspinner, December 17, 2007, 11:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

My wife and I were looking online at light fixtures for a remodel.  We came across this fixture at Lowe's, but something struck me as not-quite-right about it.  Do you see it? :)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=54226-76221-45071C235MR&lpage=none
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Sprucegum

Y'all sure got funny lookin' maples down there  :D  :D

metalspinner

I think maybe I should get a discount .  Isn't the red oak market down? ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

... an it's got a big crack in it! Sheesh ya think they would have ONE good one to put in the picture ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

OH!   I get it.  :D :D

Mabe those are leaves from a chinese Maple.  ;D

Furby

Chinese Maple  :D :D :D :D
Good one! ;D

SwampDonkey

Good for a laugh anyway.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Looks like split-globe oak maple to me :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

metalspinner

I went to the bigbox today to buy four of those lights, and would you believe it, they were all cracked. ;D  I bought them anyway.
The coincidental thing is, the floor and wainscoting I am installing in the room is Southern Red Oak!

Tom

tha's a shame.  where are you going to find light fixtures with Oak leaves on them? :-\

Furby

Maybe you can find some with Chinese Oak leaves eh? ;)

Phorester

That's about as clueless as their certified wood initiative.  Lowe's announced a few years ago that they were only going to offer wood from certified sources.

Ask an employee at Lowes if they are selling certified wood.  They don't know what you're talking about.

SwampDonkey

Phorester, that fits the bill.  ;D

I was going to suggest those lights might have 'split leaf maple' globes.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The public can be so ignorant.  My company sold some timberland in GA a few years ago.  Now, some of that land is being developed, and there are commercials on TV for the development called "Flat Creek Reserve".  In the ad, they talk of rolling hills and virgin timber.  Most of the area is a 26 year old pine plantation that has been thinned, pruned, and fertilized several times..........I guess that is virgin timber to some. 

Many people don't have a clue.  Most don't care about wood certification even if they knew what it meant.  They look for what is cheaper, not what is sustainably grown.  The whole "green thing" might catch on, but many people can be duped into thinking that anything "green" is good.  Kind of like "organic".  That makes it better, right?

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Phorester

And, WDH, you can bet your boots that if Lowes starts running out of "certified" lumber to fill their shelves, they will buy anything they can get their hands on.

Gary_C

I think there is a change in the "certified wood" game. Since there is not enough certified wood to go around, I think they are keeping track of the percentage of wood they buy from certified sources and then allow them to claim to be selling certified wood.

I know for a fact they are doing that in paper. Time Inc. and many of these upscale magazines are demanding paper from certified sources and the only way to get the volumes they buy is to allow a percentage of fibre comming from certified sources. And they have to have chain of custody records on the certified wood.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Norm

I've got to get out more. I looked and looked at the picture and the only thing that came to mind was it looked like a breast to me.....I guess it's because I was not breast feed as a baby. :o

scgargoyle

That'll learn ya not to buy any of that DanG Chinese Maple Syrup!! :P
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Furby

Gee Norm, I'm not going to comment! ;)

OneWithWood

Once again, Norm, our decrepid minds are in sync.  I was deprived as a baby also.  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

Now that ought to scare you Robert...before you know it you'll have a McCain bumper sticker. ;D

OneWithWood

Or . . . that nice new truck of yours will be sportin' a Kucinich one  :D

I must admit tho, McCain seems to be the sanest elephant in the bunch.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!