iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Photo guide online for northeast tree ID

Started by Stinny, February 08, 2013, 04:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinny

Have any of you run across a good internet guide showing photos of hardwood trees found in the northeast area ... Maine? There are many showing leaves but I haven't been able to find one IDing the bark and shape/sizes of the hardwoods in Maine.

Swamp Donkey's guide is a good shot at it.

Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

thecfarm

I know you want something online. But I like a book to bring out in the woods.
http://www.maine.gov/doc/mfs/pubs/ftm/ftm.htm
Click on to request the forest book of Maine. $15.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justinmay1982

I found this PDF online. This can be viewed online or saved to your computer and printed out. Best of all its free  :laugh:   http://www.bsa37.org/Resources/northeasterntrees.pdf I believe its for the Northeast. Hope this helps

caveman

Virginia Tech has a very helpful bank of fact sheets that include pictures and descriptions of most trees you are likely to run into. http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/factsheets.cfm
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Stinny

Thanks for the links. I've ID'd some of what we have on our 12 acre lot... northern red oak, white ash, red & sugar maples, yellow and gray birch... pretty common up this way. The lot used to be a field surrounded on all sides by nice stonewalls. Some of the ash and a couple oaks, with plus 15" at breast height, are coming out this spring. Lots of young trees coming along for many years too. Nice stand of wood... even has a few old log roads thru it.

I like  the idea of a book to take into the woods "thecfarm" ...  BTW...The "C" wouldn't be for Clare would it?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

WDH,I see a road trip to Ga so I can kick you.  :D
The C stands for Crane. We shorted up our email address before we started to sell veggies. We just felt The Crane Farm was too long. So somehow The C Farm just stuck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stinny

thecfarm... Knew a guy years ago named Ross who flew ultralights around Chesterville, and I think he also had (has) a saw mill.

SwampDonkey

Yes a field guide is always nice. There used to be, maybe still is, a guide book called Overwintering Trees and Shrubs of Maine. No leaves, but lots of other stuff to go by. It is not a pocket guide though, it's probably 8-1/2" x 11".
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!