iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern most drivable point in north america?

Started by smwwoody, June 11, 2005, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

I need to find out where it is?  I'm sure one of you guys on here can tell me what the northern most place in north america that a person can drive a truck to is.

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Paul_H

Uh oh,what did you do Woody,bust the Mizer?  :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

smwwoody

Naa just a little too hot here looking for a place to cool off :D
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Jeff

southern most tip of Tierra del Fuego 

northern most terminus of the Dalton Highway in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

smwwoody

Jeff

I thought that the Dalton was the northern most highway but I was told that The Dempster is the only public highway in North America to cross the Arctic Circle.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Furby

Yep, I belive you need special permission to drive to Prudhoe Bay.
I guess it all comes down to details in the ? woody. ;D

Kirk_Allen

I have made the drive north of the arctic circle.   There are winer caribou permits issued and if you get one you use to be able to drive up there but it did take a special permit.  The main concern is survival becuase there is NOTHING near by so if you dont know how to make it on your own you may not want to go.

Not sure if they still let folks go up there but it is quite a trip.  I think it was in 88 when I went up. 

Ironwood

SMWWOODY,

That sounds like a road trip question I would ask. I love to look at the maps and just imagine what say..... the road up the west side of Lake Winnipeg would be like (I will drive it some day just to satisfy my curiousity). I was a Terrain and Aerial Imagery Analyst in the military so I think that is part of my curiousity but just like to see the terrain and topography, when we fly my neck gets sore from staring out the window. I have to go to the Standing Rock Indian Res. Between N. and S. Dakota, spotted that really cool place from 36,000 feet last year on the way back to Pittsburgh from Seattle. New as soon as I saw the map when I got home that had to be what I saw, 100-200' high white rocks jetting vertically up from the pine forest below. Of course it would be called "Standing Rock" add it to the list!!!!   ::)

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawguy21

I think Inuvik NWT is probably the most northern point and it is a public road.  Lots of dust and man eating blackflies. :D GM ran an ad in which two guys drove from Tierra del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay in something like 21 days. The trip was actually made although they had to be ferried around the Darien Gap in central America as well as a couple of political hot spots.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodcarver

When my wife and I were in Alaska with our pick-up camper three years ago this summer people were driving the Dalton Highway, or the "haul road", as it is sometimes called.  We thought about doing it, but the distance to the only gas station on the road at the half-way point might have been a bit of a stretch with the range of our GMC.  If it had been equipped with saddle tanks we probably would have done it.

The Dempster is on our to do list.  We talked to a couple at an RV park in Alaska who had had driven the Dempster and were headed back to it.  They said they found excellent fishing along it, there reason for the return trip.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Don P

QuoteI have to go to the Standing Rock Indian Res. Between N. and S. Dakota, spotted that really cool place from 36,000 feet last year on the way back to Pittsburgh from Seattle. New as soon as I saw the map when I got home that had to be what I saw, 100-200' high white rocks jetting vertically up from the pine forest below. Of course it would be called "Standing Rock" add it to the list!!!!   
I got a crick in my kneck flying over that too  :D
We talked to a guy out there one time...he said "I'm centrally located, it's 400 miles to town in any direction"  ;D

We met some folks in MT one time getting ready to head south for spring vacation. We asked where they were going to. He just said "T-shirt weather, I'm heading south till I hit T-shirt weather"

Ironwood

Don P.

Thanks, good to know that I am not the only one out there. Like the centrally located thing.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

maple flats

smwwoody, if my central air quits I might split expenses with you and ride along, I hate the muggy heat. Only got 4 hrs sawing in today (and at a drastically slower pace) because the heat was unbearable.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mometal77

ferby,  You do lot of gates up in that area and miles of roads.  And no trees lol.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Robert_in_W._Mi.

The haul road is a decent road, i've driven it a couple times.  Even back when you needed a permit to go to prudhoe, you still could drive up it above the Yukon river and get pretty far up before you hit the road block.

Robert

Wudman

SMWWOODY,

I've lived in Southern VA most of my life and I found it to be a little uncomfortable over the weekend myself.  Between the heat and the horseflies, I think Sunday was one of the most miserable days I've ever had......but from what I've been told, I think I'll tolerate the heat as opposed to those northern climate black flies.  ;D

I was passing through Buckingham today and thought about stopping in for a visit.  Fireman Ed and I went to high school together and I've known his family pretty much all of my life.  I need to take a look at that LT300.  I'll drop in to visit one of these days.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

ADfields

You need no permit to drive the 500 miles of dirt we Alaskans call "The Haul Road" aka the Dalton Highway.   You will be under many watchfull eyes from the air now (post 9-11-01 the pipelne is a big target) and in a constant dust cloud from all the trucks in summer.   I was there in May, 1000 miles of rub board road and I was DanG happy to get home! 8)
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!