iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good day of chainsawmilling

Started by woodbeard, November 08, 2003, 05:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

A friend of mine called the other day and said I could have a silver maple trunk that was laying on the front lawn of a house he owns in town. So today I went down there with my chainsaw mill and 10yr old son. I slabbed up the tree while he tried to impress passersby with yo-yo tricks. Normally he is very helpful, but today there were no standing trees for him to prop up and prevent from falling on me.
 On the way back home, we stopped by the rustic furniture shop that I build chairs for and I gave them a slab. Charlie, the owner was very impressed with the mill, and indicated a pair of cedar logs that he needed cut into 2 1/2" thick stair treads for a log home. at this point, a flock of boys appeared and started playing dodgeball in the backyard, so mine naturally fell in with them. Charlie was on his way out to McDonald's so I said " Bring us back lunch, and I'll get on it"
Didn't have much else to do anyway, Right? ::)
So, I got fed and paid $40 to play with wood and loud power tools on a lovely autumn afternoon.
Can't beat that eh?

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds like ya really enjoyed the day, George ;) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

UNCLEBUCK

woodbeard do you have any pictures or threads on the forum showing your chainsaw milling , thanks  :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

Nothing like spending a Saturday goofing off with one of the kids. Cutting up some wood only makes it better.

woodbeard

Unclebuck, here are the two threads I can remember starting here about my milling.
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1044239118;start=0

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1060270458;start=0

And here is a 28" white ash plank with my 2yr old daughter for scale ( and decoration  ;D )

beenthere

Cute daughter, and are those "halo's" showing above her head, or angel wings?    :)

Also, what would a slab of ash like that be intended for?  ::)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UNCLEBUCK

ok thanks woodbeard, I checked it out and it looks like a rugged rig you have . this picture with the slab of ash and your daughter like would you stack a bunch of slabs like that on top each other and stickers in between then  would you paint the ends with wax or anchor seal or would you leave the ends bare ,  sure is a wide slab your chainsaw mill cuts .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!