iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

material for scarf template

Started by Greg, January 05, 2006, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Hey all.

Based on our previous scarf discussions, I recently made a couple of cutouts of a scarf joint profile (with a stop in it!) After 2 or 3 tries I have one that I am happy with.

I used a ruler, and a pencil to lay it out. I cut it out of my kids construction paper with scissors.

I'd like to transfer my template onto something more sturdy. I used some stiff cardboard, but that just doesn't last.

Something thin, easily cut, yet stiff and durable that will hold an edge with use, but not be real sharp to slice and dice the user's hands.

I thought of sheet metal, plexiglass, even plywood, but none seem to fit al my needs.

Other thoughts on template making for joinery in general?

Greg

Jim_Rogers

Years ago, when I worked in a furniture factory, we used Plexiglas as it is see through.
You can see the knots and other defects and work around them.
If you don't want to purchase any of that use either thin plywood or Masonite.
You want something that will not wear away from your pencil, but be careful if you use a knife along either wood or Plexiglas as it will cut it away and you'll be in trouble soon.
Cardboard is too weak, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ARKANSAWYER

My wife gets these white (teflon looking) matts at WalMart in the craft section for cutting material on with a sharp pizza cutter looking thing.  When they get scratched up I take them to the bandsaw and make templates and such out of them.  They are about 3/16 thick and work fine.  I have used plexi glass but it will break if dropped.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!