iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Dad

Started by Raider Bill, August 20, 2010, 12:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Bill,

Spending those last days with your Dad and having those mature conversations were just what he needed from you.  You were with him at the end, and that is very special.  I know that you will miss him, but smile when you think about his life and all that he accomplished in the face of adversity.  I honor him in your honor.  May he rest in peace and may you carry forward in his memory.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Bill, I cannot say any more than what has been said, Sue and I were pleased to meet you at the piggy roast, and seems like we would have enjoyed knowing your dad, sounds a little/lot like my dad.  And who ever said it is right, we don't get instruction books with kids, but some how they turn our all right.

Proud to know you, Bill.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Burlkraft

That was an awesome tribute to what sounded like a great Dad. It's funny how thing all line up and work out ain't it?
My Dad died when I was 6 months old. My Grandfather filled that void for me. He passed when I was 18. I just happened to stop by and see him the day before he died.
Meeting you at the roast was a great experience for me and now that you have shared this most personal side with us I respect you even more. My condolences go out to you and your family.
I hope you can spend some time celebrating his 94 year legacy.

Steve
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Weekend_Sawyer

Well written Bill, Thank you for sharing. Our fathers live on through their children. I can't tell you how many times I will be talking to one of my brothers and he will do something just like Dad and I'll say, "Just like our Father" giving us both a laugh.

My thoughts are with you.
Feel free to call me if you want to talk about fathers, or whatever.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

dewwood

Bill,

That was a great tribute to your father.  Our thoughts are with you. 

Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

paul case

you have my condolences and deepest sympathy. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

jim king

Your post about your father is one of the most impressive I have read anywhere and he as you have described was his own man and did not have the tradicional ring in his nose to be led by others and could have made it anywhere in the world.

The world needs more people with that attitude and live by it.

They are few and far between and you have reason to be proud.

scgargoyle

Bill- Sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds like he had a good run, and checked out on his own terms. We should all be so lucky! It's a fitting tribute you wrote, obviously from the heart. It may have been spur-of-the-moment, but it's no mistake you were with him at the end.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

customsawyer

I think you need to get on that bike and ride, feel the wind in your hair and let his Spirit be with you. That is about all I can muster right now.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mooseherder

It's great you went up to surprise your Dad.  I bet that meant a lot to him.
I guess he sorta had a surprise for you also and probably many more to come as you go thru his 94 years of collecting stuff.  You gotta hand it to the ol man for choosing his wishes and sticking with the plan.  He's a happy man right now.  The cousin you speak of must be a Politician.   You can send him a picture of the Mason Jar.       ;)

DanG

That was a magnificent tribute to your Dad, Bill.  Thank you for sharing that poignent glimpse into his remarkable life.  I'm sorry for your loss.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Bill, you will be in our thoughts and prayers here for many days to come. A very eloquent tribute to your father if there ever was.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

submarinesailor

Bill,

Sorry to here about your dad.  Him and my father were part of the greatest generation and they will be missed.

Bruce

Don K

Hey Bill, sorry to hear about your dad. He got his wish though didn't he. You were fortunate to spend that last day with him. Most of us will never get that "just right time of the day". My condolences to you.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Tim/South

You words show just how much of a man your father was.
Every time you look in the mirror you will see what he left behind. He will live as long as your memories and those of the lives he influenced have a tale to tell.

I know what I would do with the jar he left. I would do it just to feel his smile and sparkle one more time.
And the relative probably deserves it if the truth was known.  ;)

wood monger

Wow Bill what a story. You got me all choked up. I read it at work and I had too avoid people seeing me for a bit. That was no coincidence that you were drawn to go see your Dad. You were being pulled. I'm very sorry that your Dad passed. I will include you in my prayers. That last visit could be made into a movie. Hang in there. I think you will cherish this memory for the rest of your life. 

Bill aka (wood monger)

Ron Scott

A great tribute and time well spent. You have our sympathy.
~Ron

Ernie

Thanks so very much for sharing your Dad with us.  It's great that he was so positive about where he was going and who was waiting for him.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Scooby Doo

Bill I am really sorry for your lose. It was a great story and really made me cry. I am glad you got to spend time with him before he got his last wish. It was great seeing you at the roast and this kinda touches a part of me and where my dad stands in my life. My dad is one amazing man and I guess it isn't until you get a bit older that you finally realize that you can't take all things for granted in life. I hold my dad closer to my heart every day. We may not see eye to eye but he is one amazing man and am proud to call him my father! I LOVE YOU DAD!! :-* :-*

Sorry again for your lose Bill.

Stacy
Owner/Operator of a 1986 Wood-Mizer LT30 Manual

Wildflower

Bill our prayers are with you and your family. I lost my dad in 1999 on Father Day to Cancer. He was an amazing father and friend. He is greatly missed but I know he is in a much better place and free of pain. Thanks for sharing that amazing story.Your dad sounded like a very interesting dad I am glad you got to share is last day. You are a very special person and your dad knew that.

Jeff and Tammy
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

IMERC

Hearts and good wishes to you and yours...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Bill,

I'm sorry to hear that your Dad has passed but it is a real blessing to know that you got the chance to spend that last day with him. And though his time on this side has ended, I believe he'll be watching over you from the other side.

Take care and know you are in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers.

Herb

Don_Papenburg

Sorry to hear that  Bill .    But also glad your dad could live to 94    .  My dad made it to 93
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

ibseeker

Dang! That was a good but tough read, choked me up until the Mason jar then I was laughing. Great tribute and an excellent reflection on you.
No matter how old we are when we lose our parents, it's still hard. Your Dad sounds like a guy I'd like to have smoked a cigar with and had a drink too. What a character! Those old folks who lived during some very tough times are special people, not that they would think so. I think it's great that he knew exactly what he wanted and was ready for it. What's even better is that you had that time with him. How many people ever have that chance? One of these days when we finally are able to get together, we'll share a few stories about our Dad's and I'm sure have a few laughs over a beer.

You have my condolences on the loss of your Dad.

Chuck
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Piston

Bill,
That was a great tribute to your dad.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Next time I see my dad I'm gonna give him a hug and tell him I love him.
Thanks.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!