iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 170 will not run

Started by DonT, August 20, 2009, 09:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Greetings everyone. i bought a stihl 170 for my summer student to use for limbing and sometimes beside the chipper.It started after about 15hrs use stalling after it was running for about five minutes and then will not re-start for maybe an hour or so.i cleaned the carb and air filter,but i did notice it will run if the air filter (white pad is not in place)is not in place.i re-checked the air filter and air moves through it quite easily and it is clean.Now i am stumped any ideas?   Thanks Donald

Rocky_J

Sounds like it's running too rich. Turn the H screw in about 1/8 of a turn (clockwise).

And just so you have full disclosure and can understand the carb adjustments a little better, here's the carb adjustment page.  :)
http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm

But before you mess with the carb, make sure the muffler screen is not plugged up. Remove the screen, clean it thoroughly to remove the carbon buildup, and then throw it in the garbage can. Start the saw and see if it runs properly. If so, don't adjust the carb.

DonT

Thank you. one little screen(plugged) thoroughly cleaned and thrown in the garbage can.Problem solved thanks again donald

Red 93 L1 #3383

At work we have to clean a couple screens a season.  No big deal on the Stihl's, but the JD string trimmers are another thing.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Thank You Sponsors!