iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying beveled siding

Started by millwright, June 28, 2012, 07:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

Anybody have any ideas on how to stack and sticker beveled lap siding for air drying?

red oaks lumber

iv'e never air dried bevel only kiln dry. put 2 peices together to make 1 flat board and pile that way, from a short distance the pile looks like 1" material stacked. when i dried in the kiln it was only in there for no more than 48 hrs.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

snowshoveler

My buddy dries the beveled siding on a little stand he made up.
The siding sits on its edge about an inch or so from the next one.
It dries very quick because its not very thick.
I think he just uses a couple 2x4s with nails placed in to keep the siding standing.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Planman1954

The earlier post has it right. Dry beveled siding with 2 stacked together...bevels opposite. I always watch as I remove them from the mill and stack them opposite sides so the stack stays level. When you sticker them, there's no problem with marks from the stickers. The stickered side can always face the studs so there is no marring of the showing face! It's an easy system, and works great.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

millwright

Thanks for the replys. I will try the Red Oaks method, thats pretty much what I had in mind.

Dan_Shade

does that cause any mold problems with the two faces touching?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

John_Haylow

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

red oaks lumber

i have never had any issues with molding or staining for that matter
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

BigJim2185

I'm bringing this one back from the dead -

About to begin milling eastern white cedar beveled siding.  I had planned to stack it to air dry in board form, then make up a jig and saw each board into two pieces of siding after drying.  Go straight from the mill to a rack for staining, straight from staining rack onto the house. 

I would like to go straight to siding from the cant, and stack and sticker with beveled sides facing each other as suggested here - it would cut my handling dramatically.  I assumed this would cause a mold issue.  Has anyone stacked like this for air drying?  Results?   
-Thomas 8020 w/10' extension
-New Holland TC45D w/ fel and farmi jl501

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen many operation use this technique.  If drying is fast enough, no mold.  Slow drying can result in mold in many cases, not just Bevel siding.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!