iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 Part ?? Siding attachment for mill & Is pine a good choice for house siding?

Started by Piston, May 18, 2015, 11:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

Hi all,
I want to reside my house. 

I called Woodmizer and priced out a lapsiding attachment for my LT15.  The 16' long Shingle and Lapsider (SLR as they call it) is currently $1,250, plus a couple hundred dollars shipping. 

I have a ton of eastern white pine that I could mill into lapsiding.  I don't have any cedar.  ::)

My question is two fold:
1) Is EWP a good material for siding?  Should I avoid any sapwood when milling it? Should I just buy cedar siding?  We like a light grey color, and would like to do some sort of "paint stain" to get the color we want, but still be able to see the grain in the clapboards. 

Also, we are thinking of using shingles for the front of the house, which I could also use the SLR attachment for. 

2) I've read a few threads of people buying this attachment and not using it again, seems like that tells me something  ???  Are these "not worth it"? 
I'm thinking I could save quite a bit of money by milling the siding and doing the work myself.  Does this seem like a viable option or should I keep saving my pennies until we can afford the "vinyl is final" route? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

petefrom bearswamp

WP is OK but the knots will bleed thru any type of paint or stain.
I used Zinssers shellac product on  the knots on my shop and it works well
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sealark37

You can use white pine if you seal the knots as noted above, and use a vapor barrier on the inside of the wall insulation.  Stain is more durable than paint, but both last better with a vapor barrier.   Regards, Clark

Dad2FourWI

I don't think there is a problem with the knots if the boards are kiln dried.

We wanted the more "rustic" look and opted for the true 1" thick, wavy bottom board look.

We used a stain called OneTime  http://onetimewood.com/ ... interesting stuff, but make sure to wash any off the skin before you go out in the sun!!!!  :D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

fishfighter

If you are in no hurry, cut some cants that are 8" wide. Take a couple sticks about 1/2" and place them under one edge of the cant on your runners. That will till it. Set your mill to cut level leaving about 3/16" as you cut on the thin side. Then come back, remove the sticks and make another pass. Repeat for your lap siding.

Poor mans way of cutting it. 8)

Ox

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on May 18, 2015, 02:59:50 PM
interesting stuff, but make sure to wash any off the skin before you go out in the sun!!!!  :D

-Dad2FourWI
Why is this, Dad2?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Planman1954

Look for the thread called: "Making and Installing 8" beveled lap siding".
It shows the process using two little sticks. It works really well.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Verticaltrx

Can't comment on the shingle/lapsiding attachment but I can say that EWP is a good choice for siding. We use lots of it around here, if you have Yellow Poplar that is also a very good choice for siding. Both are fairly rot resistant in a siding application and can last for many years even without paint/stain/sealant. There are lots of old houses are barns around here sided in pine or poplar that haven't had a lick of paint in decades and are still sound.

I'll be interested to hear the consensus on the SLR jig as I have been interested in one myself.

BTW, don't do vinyl, it is not final, it's cheap plastic crap that will eventually get brittle and break. If it tells you anything we are about to tear the vinyl off our old farmhouse and go back to wood siding. With the invention of the airless paint sprayers and the much better paints available today it's quicker and easier than ever to maintain a wood sided building.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Bruno of NH

Use wood siding .
Vinyl sidings not final I've made a lot of money putting it up over the years but wouldn't use it on my own house . It just won't last like wood .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hunz

I just purchased an SLR, and did a siding job on our barn. It works great once you figure out how to use it, and the end product was nothing to be sneered at. Here is a pic of a small portion of what I did, its now stained.

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Piston

Quote from: sealark37 on May 18, 2015, 01:50:28 PM
You can use white pine if you seal the knots as noted above, and use a vapor barrier on the inside of the wall insulation.  Stain is more durable than paint, but both last better with a vapor barrier.   Regards, Clark
Vapor barrier meaning housewrap?  Like Tyvek?  I am planning on wrapping the house with tyvek first (after possibly having to replace my sheathing-one of my "complications" to this job)

Quote from: fishfighter on May 18, 2015, 04:31:57 PM
If you are in no hurry, cut some cants that are 8" wide. Take a couple sticks about 1/2" and place them under one edge of the cant on your runners. That will till it. Set your mill to cut level leaving about 3/16" as you cut on the thin side. Then come back, remove the sticks and make another pass. Repeat for your lap siding.

Poor mans way of cutting it. 8)
I don't "mind" the cost of the attachment, if it's worthwhile and works as advertised.  We'd also really like to do the front of the house in shingles, which I think the only 'efficient' way would be with the siding attachment? 
I may use the poor mans way of cutting lap siding as a test to see how it would come out though.  I'm also going to buy an extension at the same time.  Among other reasons, I'm hoping that with the 16' siding attachment, I can overhang the cant a couple of feet on each end, and make 20' lap siding, possibly longer. 

Quote from: Planman1954 on May 18, 2015, 05:46:03 PM
Look for the thread called: "Making and Installing 8" beveled lap siding".
It shows the process using two little sticks. It works really well.
Thanks Planman, that's an interesting read, and the pictures show how the process works very well.  Here is the link for anyone else intersted...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=58534.0

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 18, 2015, 06:06:00 PM
Use wood siding .
Vinyl sidings not final I've made a lot of money putting it up over the years but wouldn't use it on my own house . It just won't last like wood .
Jim/Bruno
That's interesting to hear from an installer Jim, thanks for the comment.  I really don't like the vinyl, and I'm sort of glad it's going to be as expensive as it is because it sort of rules it out, especially since we have to spend quite a pretty penny getting a new roof put on the house (not to mention a new septic going in next month  >:()

Quote from: Chuck White on May 18, 2015, 08:45:55 PM
Matt, If you were a little closer, I'd let you borrow my SLR.
Thanks Chuck, I appreciate the kind offer.  Can you comment on how you like the SLR?  How it works in general, and if you think it does what it's supposed to do pretty well?  Is it a "quality" piece, or does it seam cheap/lightweight and not too sturdy?  It looks like a pretty basic attachment, and I imagine it does what it's supposed to in a satisfactory way. 

Quote from: hunz on May 18, 2015, 09:50:22 PM
I just purchased an SLR, and did a siding job on our barn. It works great once you figure out how to use it, and the end product was nothing to be sneered at. Here is a pic of a small portion of what I did, its now stained.
Hunz, I've never seen a barn with dedicated handicapped parking in front.   ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

As an additional question, does anyone have advice on if I'd be better off using only heartwood for the siding?  Should I stay away from the sapwood in general?  I read that it will rot much sooner and last not nearly as long as the heartwood? 

I think it is very likely that I will end up purchasing the SLR attachment and milling my own siding, but I really want to get a little more info before making the decision. 
-Matt

Chuck White

I have had a couple of jobs that "were" going to include lap siding, but they both cancelled out, so in a nutshell, I haven't used it yet.

It is a very heavy-made attachment, you'll need 2 guys to handle it.

I got a good deal on mine, from the prior owner of it and my sawmill, so basically I got it with the mill, only a little later.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Matt, eastern white pine works OK, not as good as cedar, but will make good siding. It must be coated with something or parts of it will turn black, won't weather the "cape cod gray" look. I like the semi-transparent stain. I would use the heartwood and cut boards off the sapwood. Get the attachment you deserve it.  I think I would stain both sides before nailing it up. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Piston

Thanks for the info Frank, I think my wife would really like that "cape cod gray" color but I suppose we could always paint it some other color if we couldn't get the semi transparent stain to look the way we want.  We are going for more of a light gray rather than the weathered look of the cape cod gray though. 

Chuck, I've been looking on craigslist in the northeast for any used attachments and not finding any (not surprising), so if you wanted to sell it I'd certainly be interested in buying. 
-Matt

porcupine

I finally used my SLR last weekend after purchasing it about 2 years ago. My neighbor
found out I had it and asked me if I would cut him lap siding for a sauna he will construct next year. I really didn't have time but I wanted to experiment with it since I told him I would only charge him the cost of the machine. After it was done I charged less.....oh well.  My wife and I had 8 hours of effort.

Like any tool it takes time to become proficient. We cut 9 red pine logs averaging 14 inches, 10' long.

The Good:
   It's built strong enough and functions as advertised. The orange paint matches my LT50 :)

The learning curve:
   My sawmill has a stationary control so after every cut I had to walk to the attachment and swing the lever. (poor me)

You make cant's from logs. Remove cant place elsewhere. Set up attachment, Cant placed back on SLR attachment. Make a cut, swing SLR lever, cut......flip can't over. Cut .......

I was unable to use the Accuset to make programed drops after every cut. Siding was 3/4" - 3/8" X 8" wide.

You don't need to use all the clamps only on the ends. The screw tighteners are slow.

The instructions explain:
"Pull the shift lever up and lower the saw head the thickness of the thick end plus the
thickness of the thin end plus the thickness of the blade (B + A + Blade Thickness).
Allowing for a 3/16" blade thickness in the example above, the second drop would be 5/8"
(5/16" + 1/8" + 3/16"). Make a cut and return the carriage."

The Accuset reads out 1/4 inches, 1/8", 1/16", 1/32" etc. making it difficult to get a "right on" thickness.

Every time I swung the lever I measured with a tape and placed a mark on the cant to get the correct drop because I was unable to get a precise depth with the Accuset or gauge on the sawhead. I wanted to present decent siding to my neighbor.

I'm sure as I use it more I will become accustom to it. At this time I see this as a tool for personal use not as a business. I don't profess to knowing this SLR completely and am open for tips. I not unhappy with the purchase but would have liked more production. More $ spent could do that. :)
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Dave Shepard

Do not expose sapwood to the weather. I've been cutting 1"x8" lapsiding (not tapered) and if I have just a sliver of sapwood that I can hide under the lap, it goes in the siding pile. Any more than that and it's not siding.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Piston

Quote from: porcupine on May 19, 2015, 09:59:06 AM
You make cant's from logs. Remove cant place elsewhere. Set up attachment, Cant placed back on SLR attachment. Make a cut, swing SLR lever, cut......flip can't over. Cut .......

Porcupine, thanks for the comments!  I have a question, when you say "flip cant over" do you mean just rotate it a slight amount, to put the taper in/out?  Or do you actually have to flip the cant over each time?????

Dave, thanks for the info, I will go 100% heartwood based on your experience/knowledge.  I have some large pines with a lot of heartwood, and although I absolutely hate to mill them into tiny little boards for siding, I'll do so and get a lot of boards out of each log. 
(I can't stand sawing up a perfectly straight large diameter pine into something other than a giant beam) :D
-Matt

prittgers

The Wood-Mizer SLR is a good machine.  It is well made and there is little that can fail on it.  And, as a proud and loyal Wood-Mizer owner, I can say that I have cut a LOT of siding with one.  See the fishing lodge photo.

There is one that is better, though.  It uses either 12v electric to tilt the cants or hydraulic pressure from the clamp to tilt the cant. 

There are no Pony pipe clamp fixtures sticking up into the potential blade path so blades last longer. 

The last cut yields a piece of bevel siding as well as a flat, dimensional board with siding pieces up to 18 ft long.

www.bevelsider.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7lHfRUPkM

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Joe Hillmann

White pine is pretty common for siding around here.  From what I have seen of it.  I have seen it many times where sap wood was still on it and the sap wood wasn't deteriorating any faster than the rest of the wood as long as the paint/stain stays in good condition.  I personally would recommend stain.  If you want it a solid color they make solid color stains that look pretty much like paint but soak into the wood like stain.

To make any wood siding last longer large eaves and preventing water from splashing back up on it (that is two separate things, although long eaves helps prevent splashing) will help to prevent damage and rot to the siding.

Chuck White

DR Buck

Well I purchased the new belt driven resaw-lap sider from Wood-Mizer back at the Paul Bunyan Show.  Unfortionately, I have not had a chance to use it yet.  I've been wrapped up in  to many other projects.  My plan was to reside a couple sheds using poplar.  Never gave pine a thought and am glad to see it's a good option.  Maybe I'll get to use it before I move and  relocate my sawing and drying business.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!