iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tire repair ?

Started by Pa woodchuck, November 22, 2014, 10:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pa woodchuck

I have a skidder tire that had a piece if rebar stuck in it.  Would it be safe to just place a patch inside the tire?  Any other low cost suggestions?

sshier

Really heavy rubber patch and tube it that's what I'd try before getting a replacement I'd use a really heavy patch

Jhenderson

Go to a tire repair shop that specializes in off road repair. They will have a patch that's about 1 foot square and 12-20 ply. That will hold if the damage isn't too close to the bead. Really nasty damage needs to be vulcanized, which is done in a specialty shop the tire man deals with.

Maine logger88

Yup definatly can be fixed I even bolted a thick boot inside one of my tires seems to be holding up well. With new tires at 2500$ anything to get a little more life out of them

I used carriage bolts to bolt it in facing out then cut the bolt of flush with the nut
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

chester_tree _farmah

Yankee ingenuity at it's best...
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

dutchman

In western Pa.
Had a rear tractor tire valcanized by Good tire off I 80
Knox.
The tire shop is just off Rt 66 at Kittaning.

thenorthman

Have a 4" or so gash in one of mine, been there about 2 years, boot it and either patch the tube or get a new tube.

Anymore I just patch the tubes and keep going, costs about $150 to have the boot done, and really if the hole is less then 1" I would just get a large patch on the tube and not worry about it...
well that didn't work

RayMO

Had a metal fence post through one of mine and a boot and tube has held fine for over 6 months.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

bushmechanic

I've repaired hundreds with crusher belting and carriage bolts like Maine Logger88 has shown there. But I will suggest that you taper the edges of your boot because if not it will chafe your tube. I use a flap disc on the grinder and oh yes a dust mask .... definately a dusk mask.

Pa woodchuck

Thanks for the ideas guys. I went with a heavy patch and new tube, actually 2 patches because when I got the tire off I found a bullet inside it.

Jhenderson

That'll let the air out, sure enough.

KyLogger

I need to fix a tire on the 440B. Have changed lots of farm tractor tires, have a screw type bead buster and all the tools. But have never tackled a skidder tire. Are they doable or should I call in the pros?
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Maine logger88

A lot harder than a farm tractor but doable for sure even with just wedges a hammer and big tire irons. But a loader works about the best to break them down.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

OntarioAl

Kylogger
If you can maneuver the tire so that you can use your blade and a block of wood breaking the bead is no problem.
Al
Al Raman

treeslayer2003

Quote from: KyLogger on November 23, 2014, 09:19:29 PM
I need to fix a tire on the 440B. Have changed lots of farm tractor tires, have a screw type bead buster and all the tools. But have never tackled a skidder tire. Are they doable or should I call in the pros?
them little tires ain't bad..........i don't mind 28s to bad.......34 just to much lol. a grapple will break the bead easy, just got to be care full.
yer gonna need two long tire irons.

Thank You Sponsors!