iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Average cost to mark boundaries

Started by Bubbly, January 14, 2019, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbly

Under New York states 480-a forest program I am required to re-mark the boundaries on my 158 acres of forest land in Prattsville New York. In the past I did the marking. However just having my 76 birthday and having trouble walking what would be the average cost to have a Forester do the marking?

Southside

I have no idea what that would cost but out of curiosity I looked up the program.

Was a bit shocked to see you have to pay a local tax on the value of your own stumpage at harvest. Basically that is a tax on sunshine.  Ugg.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jwilly3879

You have to pay 6% on the stumpage you collect as the landowner but in return you receive a HUGE break on property taxes.

The property we are cutting on has a land assessment of $371k but since it is under 480A the landowner pays tax on only $51K.

timberking

Down here you would be looking at about $225/mile.  

Southside

Quote from: jwilly3879 on January 14, 2019, 10:02:56 AM
You have to pay 6% on the stumpage you collect as the landowner but in return you receive a HUGE break on property taxes.

The property we are cutting on has a land assessment of $371k but since it is under 480A the landowner pays tax on only $51K.
I think most forest producing states have similar programs, we do here in Virginia, which is why I looked up the New York program for comparison.  We don't have to pay a sunshine tax, nor maintain property markings.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BuckeyeAaron

Ohio has a similar program where landowners receieve a property tax reduction in exchange for sustainably managing their woodlots.  There's no additional tax on stumpage for sales but they do require that the landowner maintains forest boundary markings.  I imagine there's a wide spectrum of quoted costs to hire someone for that work but I would consider characteristics such as terrain, how brushy the understory is (i.e. thick honeysuckle understory here in Ohio), and method of marking (paint and flagging only or are laths/pvc required).  For that reason there likely isn't one, best answer.  I'd either quote a flat price to make sure my materials and time was covered or propose and hourly rate to do the work.  

For what it's worth I'd say $225/mile would be on the high side in Ohio.

Another option would be to hire a surveyor but I suspect they would be much more expensive.  
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

acsa3

It sounds like you have existing boundary paint out there?  If that's the case it should be pretty easy to simply freshen the paint up.  Could you buy the paint and have a youngster go through and freshen up the existing marks?

ID4ster

As always we'll go with the standard Forester's answer "It depends." Are all the corners marked and located? Have the lines been run in the past 10 years or so? How well were they marked and with what? Paint or ribbon?  Is the property rectangular or does it have an irregular boundary? Do you have an accurate map of the boundaries? 

If the lines are easy to find then you may just pay the forester by the hour and get it done in a partial day. Settle on an hourly rate and materials cost beforehand and go with that. If you're going to have it marked though I'd go with paint. If it has to be blazed than by NY law that has to be done by a surveyor.

Join the NYFOA (New York Forest Owners Association) They'll be a local chapter in your area and talk to those folks on who they use. You'll find the NYFOA and the member landowners to be a great and reliable resource.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Thank You Sponsors!