iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant Bradford Pear

Started by OutlawB52, June 02, 2019, 09:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutlawB52

I just picked up a large Bradford Pear trunk . 6 ' long 18 " at the small end. Probably 30 " at the base . How do wood turners like this cut up ?  

btulloh

Bowl blanks, billets, cubes
HM126

LeeB

If it's the same coloring as regular pear, the intarsia crowd will like it too. Somewhat flesh colored. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

OutlawB52

What size should the blanks/billets be milled ? Bigger the better ? 

btulloh

The bowl blanks are dictated by the diameter of the tree.  That means you can get some pretty good size ones.  2x2x 12 or 18 billets, maybe some 24".  You may try to get some large billets for hollow vessels - 5x5x16 maybe.  Depends on what the tree has to offer.  If you do business with turners on a regular basis, check with them.  Depends on how many bowl people, vessel people, etc.  

They must be dried meticulously.  Square the ends of the billets and coat immediately.  Thick.  Sometimes it's best to have extra length so small checks can be trimmed off.  No checks allowed.  Inclusions and natural defects can be a bonus.

Don't leave any pith in the bowl blanks.  Bowl turners usually want their material green, so they can rough out first and then dry - to avoid drying defects.
HM126

OutlawB52

The base of the stump looks to be spalted.

btulloh

That could be a bonus.  

If you can find some turning clubs in your area and talk to them it could be useful.  

Whatever you have, somebody's going to want the thing you don't have.
HM126

WDH

Many bowl turner inquiries that I get are from those that want you to give them the wood :).  They like to rummage in the slab pile but are not keen on pulling out their wallet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

Quote from: WDH on June 02, 2019, 08:03:55 PM
Many bowl turner inquiries that I get are from those that want you to give them the wood :).  They like to rummage in the slab pile but are not keen on pulling out their wallet.
From my experience that statement is the ABSOLUTE truth.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!