iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

loader question

Started by board, November 23, 2013, 08:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

board

hello everyone ,I was wondering what size of loader I would need to move logs ?  Right now my neighbor moves my logs for me , he has a machine like Lyle Niemi just got . I would love to have something like that but my funds wont allow that. So what would be the smallest I could get to handle oaks 8 to 12 ft. long from 15 in. to 32in. diameter and still be safe. Thanks for your help.
paul

Magicman

Maybe you just need a LOGRITE Log Arch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I would suggest that whatever you get, that it be able to lift the size logs you intend to saw!

Probably around a two-ton lift would be good!

If you got a tractor with a FEL, you could use it for other things as well, where as a fork lift would always be a fork lift!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

QuoteIf you got a tractor with a FEL, you could use it for other things as well, where as a fork lift would always be a fork lift!

Can add forks to the FEL and I think have the better of both worlds. I prefer to drop the bucket and pick up the forks rather than make forks for the bucket. I like to see the forks when approaching a log or pallet, and I made the forks to be able to use on the 3pt quick hitch.  Works best with a hydraulic top arm on the 3 pt.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

board

I was actually thinking about a tractor with a FEL . Benethere I like the fork idea. but I dont know a whole lot about tractors ,hp. size, ect. The only thing I used to play around on was an old ford 8n but I figured that would probably be to small. or would it be? I have an EZ Boardwalk mod.40 and need to be able to lift the log on to the track.
paul

thecfarm

I have a 40hp NH,4wd,with loaded tires and I can handle a 2 foot log,16 foot pretty easy. But I don't saw any logs bigger than that. I would not want to try with an 8n. 8-12 foot logs a 40 hp would handle,but I think those 32 inch ones would be hard to handle. Nothing a matter with forks,if you can keep the log on the forks. I myself use a chain. I can put it down real easy,just where I want it. I would probably run the forks into the sawmill knowing me. I'm not to easy on anything. Forks I can see as being better. No reason to get on and off the tractor 2-3 times per log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I'd go along with thecfarm's suggestion of 40hp or more. I have just over 30 and can lift some decent size logs with the FEL but over 18" diam and 12' length is about my limit.

Here are a couple white oak logs easily handled with the 30+ hp

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Front end loader is nice, but some old tractors don't tolerate them very well. Loader on An 8n ford is not a good idea. However something like this works well on just about any tractor. This is a small yanmar, belongs to a neighbor with a norwood mill. Home-made out of pipe and angle iron.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

wesdor

I see you are in New Boston, I live near Milan. 
I have a tractor with FEL, quick tatch bucket and pallet forks.  That is great for putting logs on the mill, but it have concerns about hauling big logs on the FEL over hilly ground. Safety is a big priority for me.  Also I do not like dirty logs.  I ended up buying a log rite arch and haul logs that way.

Send me a pm if you would like to stop by and see how some of these work. 

JB Griffin

Hp don't tell a lot about how much a fel will lift. Much more important is hyd capacity of the hyd pump (psi,and gpm)
But more important is the front axle of the tractor be it 2wd or 4wd.  We have a 4610 Ford 2wd w/ a TA 25 Westendorf loader on it. On paper this seems to be a pretty decent set up, but in reality it ain't much punkin. In the last 2.5 years we have broke 5 spindles  and warped the loader frame and the forks won't sit level now. My Dad was a tractor mechanic for over 30 years before he died in March. They had several small 25-40 hp compact type tractors that people thought were as stout as 100+hp tractors and absolutly gutted the front axle on the 4wd versions. In my book you should buy bigger than you'll need and weight the back end or the forks on the 3point is even better. Just my 2 cents.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

mikeb1079

saw some beams to make ramps and get a winch. then you can just parbuckle the logs up onto the deck.  better yet, build a dead deck next to the mill and winch the logs up onto that.  then make some foldable arms, so that when you're ready for the next log just use your logrite cant hook and roll em over.   ;)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

scleigh

Paul, I think everyone with a mill has the same issue that you're facing. I've got a Kubota 31 hp 4wd and it's small enough to use in the yard without tearing up the grass, yet big enough to handle most logs around the mill. Only problem is the lift capacity is about  1500 lbs and I've ruined the bearing and seal on the left axle once in the 6 years I've owned by tring to lift too much weight. I guess what I'm saying is a compact tractor has it's limits.
I plan to buy an offroad lift, such as a case or harlo, for logs and firewood baskets.

LoneDuck

I was lucky enough to get this one off ebay for a decent price. I had been looking for a while. My best bet has been to watch ebay and craigslist for decent used equipment. That's how I got my LT40 also.

beenthere

Quote from: JB Griffin on November 23, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
Hp don't tell a lot about how much a fel will lift. Much more important is hyd capacity of the hyd pump (psi,and gpm)
But more important is the front axle of the tractor be it 2wd or 4wd.  We have a 4610 Ford 2wd w/ a TA 25 Westendorf loader on it. On paper this seems to be a pretty decent set up, but in reality it ain't much punkin. In the last 2.5 years we have broke 5 spindles  and warped the loader frame and the forks won't sit level now. My Dad was a tractor mechanic for over 30 years before he died in March. They had several small 25-40 hp compact type tractors that people thought were as stout as 100+hp tractors and absolutly gutted the front axle on the 4wd versions. In my book you should buy bigger than you'll need and weight the back end or the forks on the 3point is even better. Just my 2 cents.
Hear what you are sayin and is why I have a Deere...  ;)   ;D
south central Wisconsin

rmack

Quote from: beenthere on November 23, 2013, 01:57:31 PM
Quote from: JB Griffin on November 23, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
Hear what you are sayin and is why I have a Deere...  ;)   ;D

I try to stick with machines that can take generic attachments. most modern tractors with quick connect buckets will take any bobcat attachment, john deere has there own oddball setup so you are limited to whatever they sell. that's why I don't own one. nothing against the colour.  :D
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

beenthere

Quotejohn deere has there own oddball setup so you are limited to whatever they sell.
::) ::)
The standard bobcat setup can aslo be put on the Deere...   ;D   So no problem. 
I don't because the only attachment I hang on the FEL is the bucket or the forks and switch between the two with nor more problem than using the bobcat skidsteer system (still have to get off to latch them and the Deere just drop two link pins in to secure).
south central Wisconsin

Tom the Sawyer

board,

I went through the same discovery process and have an 8N.  Forget moving anything but small logs with the 8N - you'll destroy the seals in the hydralics and front spindles.  I also have a Ford 4000 with a FEL but it will only lift about 2200 lbs and my mill is rated for logs up to 5000 lbs (TK B-20). 

I would love to have found a skid steer that would have worked but, paying attention to the 'tip load' stats convinced me that I'd have to spend twice as much as my mill cost to get one big enough to work on the heavier logs.

I also had concerns about terrain and moving lumber into my barn so a regular forklift or the larger loaders wouldn't have worked either, and I shied away from buying an 18,000 lb machine to move an occasional 4000 lb log.

The answer for me was a used, piggyback forklift.  Lifts 5000 lbs yet only weighs 4500 lbs.  Turns on a dime, three wheel drive and very wide flotation tires.  Runs for a long time on 5 gallons of diesel and fits through an 8' high door (it is 8' wide, part of the stability).  Its not pretty but I have less than $4000 in it and, for me, it works really well.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

thecfarm

Now rmack don't be saying bad things about JD.Might just as well start down grading Sthils too. :D
I have noticed those pins too on a JD. For all I know my NH may have an odd set up too.
Now as others would say,lets get this back on topic.  ::) :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

board

[quote author=Tom the Sawyer

The answer for me was a used, piggyback forklift.  Lifts 5000 lbs yet only weighs 4500 lbs.  Turns on a dime, three wheel drive and very wide flotation tires.  Runs for a long time on 5 gallons of diesel and fits through an 8' high door (it is 8' wide, part of the stability).  Its not pretty but I have less than $4000 in it and, for me, it works really well.

[/quote]  That just might be the answer I am looking for.  How does it handle on sandy ground?
paul

board

Quote from: wesdor on November 23, 2013, 11:52:59 AM
I see you are in New Boston, I live near Milan. 
I have a tractor with FEL, quick tatch bucket and pallet forks.  That is great for putting logs on the mill, but it have concerns about hauling big logs on the FEL over hilly ground. Safety is a big priority for me.  Also I do not like dirty logs.  I ended up buying a log rite arch and haul logs that way.

Send me a pm if you would like to stop by and see how some of these work.
After the holidays I may take you up on that. Thanks for the invite.
paul

Tom the Sawyer

board,

Don't know how it does on sandy ground, we don't have any around here.  It does pretty well on soft ground due to the floatation tires on the front where most of the weigh is concentrated.  On mine, all three wheels are driven, some are only two wheel drive and have a caster wheel on the rear. 

For larger logs (say 3000+), you raise the log higher than the tire and the entire carriage retracts which puts the center of the log behind the front axle where it is much more stable.  It also has side-shift and outriggers at the front for heavy lifts. 

One of the disadvantages of most 'forklift' types is that the forward/backward tilt of the carriage is limited to about 15°, something to consider if you are on hilly ground.  You can just back down on downward slopes; I have a J-hook on a short chain that I use to keep the log from rolling off. 

When unloading logs from a trailer with fenders I have a set of tongs that I chain to the forks.  Lift the end of the log and back up until only the end is resting on the trailer, unhook the tongs and pick up the log from the side. 

Due to the limited tilt, if you have a log that isn't very round you may need to give it a shove to roll it off the forks.  I normally store logs on RR tie runners so that isn't much of a problem, I can set the log on the ties, loading arms or deck without leaving the seat.

Mine is a '93 Princeton Teledyne, originally built for Home Depot.  There are several other manufacturers of similar forklifts, capacities range from 2000 to 6000 lbs.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

JB Griffin

Beenthere I here what your sayin about JD I too am partial to green tractors but a little differant shade, i'm talkin Deutz the most fuel efficent tractor on the market (or was due to them no longer being imported). JD makes a quality product  but always seemed to be over priced. MY Deutz 70hp 2wd will burn less diesel pullin a 4x5 hay baler than our 50hp Ford 2wd will rakin hay with a 8 wheel vee rake, same field, same day, every time.
Most FEL have a different quick attach but as said before most can be adapted to bobcat type QA.

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

bandmiller2

Handling logs is tough duty and really too much for a tractor that's handy around the yard. Probibly the best reasonable option is an industrial loader backhoe, their rugged and heavy enough. Anouther good option is a solid frame fwd loader such as an old pettibone or Michigan their really HD and can be had cheap. Of course articulating frame loaders are better but costly. Forks attached to buckets are not a good idea as it puts the weight too far forward and you can't see the ends of the forks. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JB Griffin

Amen Bandmiller my thoughts exactly.
Just didn't want to step on any toes.
A tractor can do it but is very far from ideal and can be damaging to the tractor and operater. I nearly turned a 60 hp 4wd Mahindra over the other day with 24" 10' syp log. :o

Brucer

As for size -- I use a Cat 910 articulated loader to handle Douglas-Fir logs up to 16" dia tops, 52 feet long. Bigger diameter I have to shift one end at a time, or buck them up. I don't have a proper log grapple so I have to balance the logs on the forks.

I've used a tractor with a FEL equipped with forks to shift smaller logs and it was not nearly as stable as the articulate loader. Think of the articulated loader as a pair of non-steering wheels with a loader on the front and a huge counterweight on the back (the other half of the loader including the motor is the counterweight). Geometrically a skid-steer is similar except the "counterweight" doesn't pivot to the side.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!