iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used a new (to me) tool today

Started by starmac, September 09, 2017, 02:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

My son has a skill saw for steel that I used today, doing a little fab work on the log truck.
It is supposedly rated to cut 3/4 mild steel, I needed to make 2 6 foot cuts in a piece of I beam and didn't want to use a torch, so used his saw.
I looked at the blade and it is no heavier and resembles a regular wood blade. He is down south of Houston and I could not get a hold of him to ask if he had put a wood blade on it. 
I wasn't keen on sticking this blade in 3/8 steel, so I went to the industrial hardware store that sells these things and checked out the blades, they resemble a regular carbide tipped blade, so I let her rip. lol

I made 12 foot of cut in 3/8 mild steel slick as a whistle.
I took it real slow, not knowing how fast a guy should push it, but cut straighter cuts than I can on plywood, probably because I went so slow.

A plasma cutter would have been faster, but mine tanked a year or so back and I have not got around to replacing it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ljohnsaw

What brand is it?  How big is the blade?  I'm tired of using the abrasive cut wheels.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

coxy

they are neat   I watched my buddy use one a years or so ago  he clamps 2 pieces of straight bar to the piece hes cutting just wide enough for the saw to keep his lines straight  the blades he uses he says he can cut up a 4x8 sheet of 1/2in in 3in wide strips on one blade  :-\

21incher

The saws usually turn at a much lower rpm then a wood cutting saw. I just bought one of the low speed dry cut 14 inch saws that uses a similar blade and love it. Cuts steel like butter with no heat. :)
https://youtu.be/rINV1AN1bQ4
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Magicman

Wow, what a tool and thank you 21incher for yet another very detailed and informative video.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

What a great saw.  I re-purposed a 10" wood miter saw with a abrasive blade to cut steel.  Works ok but gets hot and the sparks fly!  What did this saw cost from Northern Hydraulics?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

I used one at work. I did not like it. Hot chips down the shirt just don't cut it.
I go through over 100 cut off wheels a year.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

The one I used was not a cutoff saw, but more like a skill saw. It catches its own chips and you take the heavy duty guard off to empty them.
It is a Milwaukee 8 in saw, I do not see it replacing a cut off saw at all, but when you have long cuts or wider than a 14 in cutoff wheel will handle it is handy. In my opinion a good plasma cutter would be used more than this saw, but then again for some things this would be the berrys. The blades push a hundred bucks here for it though, not sure how long they last.

21incher

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 09, 2017, 11:46:23 AM
What a great saw.  I re-purposed a 10" wood miter saw with a abrasive blade to cut steel.  Works ok but gets hot and the sparks fly!  What did this saw cost from Northern Hydraulics?
It was about  $230.00 shipped . The blade alone is a hundred bucks and is only rated for steel. They are not resharpenable so I am waiting to see how long it lasts. There are different blades for stainless and aluminum.
I have a Evolution rage 3 being shipped to me to test that is basically a low speed sliding 10 inch miter saw rated for wood, plastic, steel, & aluminum that I am looking forward to trying. No sparks or heat with these saws, just small chips that I am going to try and collect with a magnetic in the future.

Quote from: starmac on September 09, 2017, 12:33:33 PM
The one I used was not a cutoff saw, but more like a skill saw. It catches its own chips and you take the heavy duty guard off to empty them.
It is a Milwaukee 8 in saw, I do not see it replacing a cut off saw at all, but when you have long cuts or wider than a 14 in cutoff wheel will handle it is handy. In my opinion a good plasma cutter would be used more than this saw, but then again for some things this would be the berrys. The blades push a hundred bucks here for it though, not sure how long they last.
I was just trying to show how they cut with no lube and create no heat.  You are right about plasma. I can cut 500 feet of 1/4 inch steel with $12.00 worth of consumables. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

I recently bought a sawblade.com saw. It works great but as Kbeitz said the hot metal chips all over the place is terrible and quite painful. I am planning on building an enclosure for mine to avoid the flying chips.

On a real positive note I am cutting 2x6x3/16 for my sawmill build and it cuts very fast and smooth. After you make the cut you can grab both pieces bare handed and they are still cold to the touch. The chips on the other hand... watch out they freaking hurt alot!

DeerMeadowFarm

I bought a small diesel engine from a guy off CL. He had one of those steel cutting skilsaws. Very impressive! He let me try it on some 1/2" plate. It didn't cut like plywood but it cut MUCH faster than anything else I've used.

Here's a relatively cheap one:
https://www.houzz.com/photos/76589549/Evolution-Rageb-Multipurpose-Cutting-Circular-Saw-power-tools

btulloh

Good info.  I gotta me one of those.  Or both of those actually.  It sounds like managing the hot chips is the key to happy cutting.
HM126

starmac

Like I said, the saw I used threw no hot, or any other chips. It catches the chips and you remove the guard to dump them. I did have water trickling on it, maybe that contained them.
I went slow, not really sure how fast a guy could go. It was much slower than a plasma cutter or torch, but a lot cleaner than what I can do with a torch.

Crusarius

My saw is probably 10 times faster than the bandsaw with 18 tpi blade. Cuts a little smoother to.

Corley5

A friend has the corded Milwaukee skilsaw metal saw.  It rocks!!!  They also make them in a cordless M18 version which has been added to my short list ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ljohnsaw

DeWalt has a cordless (20v) 6-1/4" metal cutting circular saw.  Has anyone tried that one yet?  It is a dry cut saw, but don't know if it a cold cut.
John Sawicky

21incher

I really don't get hit by many chips with my saw. The problem is more they get stuck in my shoe soles and get tracked in the house. I plan on mounting one of the magnetic shafts on it in the future to see if I can catch them all. This is what the chlp collection magnets look like. http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/us/group/cyclone.php

Kbeitz

I use a Bingo chip collector. It's made to pick up Binge chips off the Bingo boards.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: starmac on September 12, 2017, 08:32:00 PM
Like I said, the saw I used threw no hot, or any other chips. It catches the chips and you remove the guard to dump them.

The one I tried was also this way. Open the guard and dump the chips. Pretty cool I thought.

Don_Papenburg

21 , those blades can be sharpened , Just make sure that you stop using the blade when it gets just a bit more difficult to cut metal like a hot knife through butter.  If you find that you had to push a bit hard (or more than softly) on the blade remove it and send it to the guy that sharpens carbide wood saw blades.  Make sure you need less than five teeth replaced before sending it in .  It cost me about $20.oo a tooth to replace them .  Ideally you will not need any new teeth if you stop cutting intime .

What brand is your plasma setup?   Don't you have an exhaust fan for under the table? that makes our setup a lot cleaner while cutting.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

21incher

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on September 13, 2017, 10:35:07 PM
21 , those blades can be sharpened , Just make sure that you stop using the blade when it gets just a bit more difficult to cut metal like a hot knife through butter.  If you find that you had to push a bit hard (or more than softly) on the blade remove it and send it to the guy that sharpens carbide wood saw blades.  Make sure you need less than five teeth replaced before sending it in .  It cost me about $20.oo a tooth to replace them .  Ideally you will not need any new teeth if you stop cutting intime .

What brand is your plasma setup?   Don't you have an exhaust fan for under the table? that makes our setup a lot cleaner while cutting.

I have read there is not enough side clearance to regrind them. I will have to check into that.
I designed and built the table years ago. My first try at cnc and servo motors so it was a challenge. It just has a hypertherm 45 so it will only cut 1/2 inch and a candcnc digital thc. I did build a plenum with a furnace blower that will remove the smoke, but have never made the ductwork to run it outside so I rely on a exhaust fan in the back wall of the shop. It doesn't get used that much so I just keep putting off making the ductwork.

scsmith42

I've had an Evolution steel cutting circular saw for about 12 years.  It's a great tool.  Loud and messy but sure makes a nice cut.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

21incher

I just got my Evolution Rage3 and it throws a lot more hot chips at me then the other one, but it can do compound cuts in steel. Basically a slow speed miter saw. The blade will cut steel, aluminum, wood, & plastic pretty good. Plus I got the diamond blade for bricks, stone, & tile. Have to use my grinding face shield with this one.

Crusarius

pretty much same thing I have. And X2 on everything you said.

Thank You Sponsors!