iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Process to Re-Align Band Wheels?

Started by quadracutter222, February 13, 2019, 04:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadracutter222

Hi all.  I am going to be removing my steel wheels to be re-crowned and potentially replacing the bearings on the drive side.  Am wondering about how to get the wheels square and co-planner to each other once they are ready to be put back on?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!  The idle side will just be the wheel and the drive will have the shaft still attached.

Cheers, 

Stephen1

A little more info in your profile might help. What kind of mill? 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

quadracutter222

Quote from: Stephen1 on February 13, 2019, 04:30:57 PM
A little more info in your profile might help. What kind of mill?
Hmm I did add this to my profile, but perhaps in the wrong place.  The mill is a WoodCraft 30-20A.  Four poster, 24" steel wheels, full hydraulics.

dgdrls

Viewing the board Sawmills and Milling.

Personal Text: I'm new!

MaleAge:N/ALocation:British ColumbiaMy gallery:
VISIT MY GALLERY
Equipment:WoodCraft 30-20A, Long 5n1, MS461
Date Registered: July 29, 2018, 07:51:04 PMLocal
Time:February 13, 2019, 07:36:32 PMLast Active: Today at 07:24:41 PM

I can see this when I log in and look at your profile.
Under personal text you can add your mill
and it will show .

Some long straight edges will be helpful in the alignment process.
You should also make checks and measurements before you dis-assemble

Best
D

quadracutter222

Thanks, sir, got that added ;)  I did take a bunch of measurements prior to removing.  

Here is what I am thinking of for the process.

1 - Instal idle side first, as it currently has no vertical adjustment
2 - Instal drive side based on measurements.  The hight of the shaft might initially be different if the bearing system gets re-placed with a different setup.
3 - Add a band, tension and check for parallel above the bed.  Adjust drive side up or down as needed.
4 - use a straight edge to check the faces of the wheels.  Adjust drive side in/out as needed.
5 - Plumb both wheels.  This is what I dont yet understand. Can I just a plumb line?
6 - with blade on and tensioned spin wheels and adjust horizontal tracking of idle side with jack screw

A few unknowns/variables.  Currently the pillow block bearings on the drive side have no vertical or horizontal adjustment.  I am thinking of adding jack screws for vertical, but can anything be done for horizontal?  

An option I am looking into is converting the bearings to a Woodmizer style oil cartridge.

The idle side has horizontal, but no vertical without shimming the top or bottom of the mount.  How much vertical adjustment is needed?  Or should the wheels be plumb?

redbeard

If I understand you right sounds like you will be Starting from scratch when removing both wheels and pillow block bearings.   Then remounting them after there resurfaced. 
Your big concern will be getting the tracking roughed in for fine line adjusting.

The drive  side wheel stays some what level vertically it should be fine but you will need some adjustments too toe in and out usually moving the pillow block bearings.

The idle side will need to be adjusted vertical and horizontal there should be a plate on back side of frame too do this 4 way adjustments.

This will be how you will need too adjust for band blade tracking.
There's videos on Cooks, Woodmizer, Hud-Son, Norwood and others that give good explanation of this. 

All band mills work on this principal.

Once you get it all dialed in and everything tight and blade tracks good you will more than likely never have too do it again. 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!