iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scrap Pile.

Started by Bogue Chitto, February 16, 2012, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

I am always having people come by wanting my scraps from my saw mill.  I try to keep some out of the burn pile to give away, but some want to go into the burn pile.  I always say no because it is stacked high and I don't want them to get hurt or me to get sued :(. Do any of you have this problem? 

metalspinner

If someone wants your "scraps" that bad, they must have value. Maybe you're missing an opportunity to make some extra $$?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

redbeard

I will firewood the bigger stuff, I made a firewood cutting deck with 6x6 and layed them out on two beams so when I run the chainsaw between the 6x6 they are 16" long. Throw them in pile and let people load there pickups for extra cash. The trimmings I run threw the chipper there is some money in that also. Burnning in my area is not agood option.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: metalspinner on February 16, 2012, 05:18:51 PM
If someone wants your "scraps" that bad, they must have value. Maybe you're missing an opportunity to make some extra $$?
That is what I don't understand.  Why do they want this?  Am I missing something?  It all under one inch slabs or edges off boards.

Taylortractornut

Alot of hunting clubs use them for camp fire piles.   Id I get my mill soon Im building a pto  cordwood saw.   I burn wood in the green house and the house.      But alot of campsites are buying it for 5  to 10 bucks a pick up load.       The mill I was about to buy he give the pine away  just to move it but sells the hardwood. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

metalspinner

What kinds of woods do you normally saw?

Cedar and cypress scraps can keep a guy busy building birdhouse for quiet a while.

Hardwood's are great for fires like Taylor mentioned.

Do these "customers" ever buy some of the good stuff from you?  Maybe next time you can mention that pile is for your customers to use as an extra benefit from you.

Instead of throwing a match on it, maybe you can donate it to a worthy cause and use it as a tax deduction?  Scouts and churches are always on the look out for that sort of service.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Sometimes I give the slabs to a church group that donates them to needy people.  Sometimes I sell them on Craigslist for about $10.00 - $15.00 a pick-up load.  Usually on the first day that the ad runs, they get bought.  it is a hassle for me to fool with them, so I want to see them gone.  Mine are 95% hardwood, so they make great firewood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

Hard to sell fire wood this year down  in south Louisiana.  Its hot this winter 8). smiley_sweat_drop

millwright

In my area we have people waiting in line for the slabs for firewood, it is a good sideline income.

WDH

Quote from: Bogue Chitto on February 17, 2012, 08:58:32 AM
Hard to sell fire wood this year down  in south Louisiana.  Its hot this winter 8). smiley_sweat_drop

Market the slabs as "Bonfire wood".  Country folks, maybe even Cajuns, like to have fires  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

Good idea WDH.  There are many bonfires on the Mississippi river around Christmas time. ;) Thanks.

Magicman

When I have an excess slab problem, I just cut most of them into 4' lengths and stack them beside of the road.

I prop my "FREE WOOD" sign up and they do not last very long.

This guy is loading his truck.

Every scrap is gone.  One fellow who was obviously "needy" walked up the hill and with tears in his eyes, thanked me for the wood.  I did too after he left. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

Good idea MM. I will try that.

Silver_Eagle

That's awesome MM. Gave some gentleman wood heat that was probably desperately needed for his family. 

Magicman

I will never forget that guy and I will also never pass up an opportunity to help someone in like manner.  It just is not always about the money.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clark

Quote from: Bogue Chitto on February 16, 2012, 05:35:55 PMThat is what I don't understand.  Why do they want this?  Am I missing something?  It all under one inch slabs or edges off boards.

I've been reading about the new gassification wood stoves out there.  Not only will their popularity increase but they may be the only legal option in many areas in the future.  From what I've read they burn best using smaller pieces of wood, not the whole log, fill it up procedure that many with OWB are used to.  Could this put more value on the smaller pieces of wood in the future?  I'm really not sure but if I lived in area where gassifiers were mandated I would certainly test the market with smaller pieces.

Magicman - The more I read your posts the more I think "DanG, I wish he was my neighbor."

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Clark on February 18, 2012, 01:43:44 PM
Magicman - The more I read your posts the more I think "DanG, I wish he was my neighbor."

Clark

Makes me realize we should all be that kind of neighbor to those around us...

Herb

MotorSeven

I think I am going to do what Majic does once i have enough cut up for my wood shed.

Clark are you talking about "Cat" stoves". They have been around a while and I have also been reading about them. Wood for them has to be 2 years air dried or it clogs the Cat. Yes, smaller fires or you can over fire them. The Cats are made out of either ceramic or SS, and depending on size can be expensive to replace.

They are supposed to use a lot less wood, but it sure sounds like a hassle to me. I can stuff 8 big 24" splits(cut 6 months ago) into my vintage Hearthstone H1 and get a ton of heat out of it all night long. Not sure If I want to play with a Cat....., maybe a Cougar though :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

SPIKER

Quote from: MotorSeven  Not sure If I want to play with a Cat....., maybe a Cougar though :D
/quote]

yep those sound fun, got me a cougar in the other room fired her up a bit ago and getting a nice cold shoulder now  hahaha   yep gotta watch out for them COUGARS!  :D ;D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Bibbyman

Years back we couldn't give slabs away.  We cut up and burned some for our own use but burned probably 90%.  Then we started charging $10/PU load – customer loads himself. A few started getting them, then more, then more until now we get rid of most all we make as soon as we make them.  And we're sawing at least twice what we were sawing some 10 years ago.

For a few years we stockpiled slabs and had a mountain of them by late fall when the customers started showing up.  But we would soon run out.  Some customers got to where they were brining trailers and leaving them and we'd dump right onto their trailer from the mill.  We'd charge $10 for a smaller utility trailer and $15 for larger and $20 for a big gooseneck load.  The money was more for the interruption cost than the value of the wood.  We were glad to get rid of the slabs and not have to burn them.  We've had up to five trailers on our lot waiting for slabs.  We have two now.

Last spring I had a cleanup burn but have not had to burn since. Customers with trailers have been hauling all summer and fall.  This winter has been exceptionally mild but we've still had disappointed slab customers that had to come back later.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ladylake

Down south I like the idea of chipping them for mulch, up here I get $20 a bundle for firewood. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WDH

ladylake

3 x3 x  8 to 10' long.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!