iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pawn stars

Started by Dan_Shade, June 13, 2010, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Do any of you guys watch this?  I got hooked a few months ago.  I wish I could hold the demeaner the old man has when he's making a deal :).
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sprucebunny

One of the few "reality" type shows that I watch.
It's interesting to see the  different stuff.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

fishpharmer

Isn't the spectrum of diverse items they see amazing?  It doesn't appear they come out on the short end very often. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dan_Shade

they're pretty slick businessmen.  I think my favorite one was when they had the selling contest for a free steak dinner.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

isawlogs

Yep , quite amazing what goes through those doors .  8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

metalspinner

Love it!

The key to buying is not to fall in love with the item. :D  One lesson learned watching pawn Stars.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Woodhauler

Chum-lee is the man! He can't be that numb in real life! :D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Banjo picker

I watch it when I see that its on....I haven't seen a good banjo come through there yet..

Tim.
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dan_Shade

you just hijacked my thread, banjo picker!  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxdDoyTtab4

I took a fancy to a girl from Winchester once, wasn't this one...

WDH

I like the show too.  However, I ask myself why people would bring some of that stuff that is so valuable to a Pawn Shop?  They should know that they will only get 50 cents on the dollar.  That is the last place that I would go if I had something very valuable or rare to sell. 

I am sure that some of the stuff we see on the show is staged or pre-planned to make interesting TV.

BTW Dan, that girl had good rhythm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

i dunno.

I've never been much into the pawn shop thing.

However, if you are looking to sell something, they'll buy it.  It can be a real hassle to sell some wierd stuff.  On the other hand, I can't believe some people sell what they sell....

I saw one where I guy pawned a map of Iwo Jima that his father had before the invasion in 1945.  No way would I sell something like that.  he only got $2k for it, I'd donate it to a museum before I'd sell it for that.

metalspinner

QuoteHowever, I ask myself why people would bring some of that stuff that is so valuable to a Pawn Shop?

It's Vegas, Baby! 8) 8)

Raider Bill

Going a bit off topic here but why does the banjo girl keep adjusting her strings? Shouldn't they be tuned before she plays or is she changing the sound mid song? Seems like she does it a lot.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Brad_bb

They did buy a banjo on Pawn Stars once.  It was Yukalaylee Banjo, and Rick had it restored.
The show is entertaining, but a lot of it is staged/scripted.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Chum-brew on the market.  He should get with starbucks to make them a custom coffee grind called chum-brew with Chumlee on the bag.  They'd probably make more money in such novel sales(including T-shirts with Pawn stars quotes), than actually pawn items.  It must be hard for them in this economy selling stuff.  I bet their money is tied up a lot more in items now.  Ebay and craigslist selling is a lot harder right now from my experienc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

metalspinner

Raider,
I believe tweaking the pitch is part of the tune.  Kind of like a trombonist would slide around sometimes.

WDH

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 16, 2010, 09:18:26 AM
Going a bit off topic here but why does the banjo girl keep adjusting her strings? Shouldn't they be tuned before she plays or is she changing the sound mid song? Seems like she does it a lot.

It is a part of the song, showing skill.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Thanks Inquireing minds wanted to know smiley_fiddler

Bro. Noble

I got some old Scruggs Tuners somewhere,  maybe I'll take them to a pawnshop.

I saw a goldplated mastertone in a pawnshop once.  It was a bargain, but I was broke :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

I went in a pawn shop a while back to look for a saddle. They didn't have any worth buying bit I did buy an air compressor and another router w/table. My son asked."Don't you already have a router?"  Yep, four of them. Can't have to many. Saves time by not having to change bits.
Some of my best buys were made in the pawn shop parking lot.... ;D....catch em before they go in.
Haytrader

Raider Bill

Quote from: Haytrader on June 16, 2010, 01:44:14 PM
I went in a pawn shop a while back to look for a saddle. They didn't have any worth buying bit I did buy an air compressor and another router w/table. My son asked."Don't you already have a router?"  Yep, four of them. Can't have to many. Saves time by not having to change bits.
Some of my best buys were made in the pawn shop parking lot.... ;D....catch em before they go in.

Or when they come out disgusted. Bump the price up a little from what they were offered inside many times they will sell it to you but you have to go around the corner or the pawn broker can get ticked off. Rightfully so I suppose but oh well.

I try to make the pawn shop rounds every few months. I pick up some good junk from time to time.

A lot of dispair going into those places for many people.
Here in Florida we seem to have more than our share of it. Seems like theres a pawn shop on just about every corner.

Banjo picker

I just hyjacked it a little bit... ;)  not like I put a video or something up there... :D   I am even going to refrain from giving out info on the tuners...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!