iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you I D this baby tree?

Started by Banjo picker, June 16, 2019, 08:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

Some of you may get this right off...others may have a harder time with it.  I'll give you a hint...its not an oak.  Not much of a hint was it?  Banjo

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

caveman

It is a little difficult for me to see but I can tell that it is simple and opposite which rules out sugarberry or hackberry which is what the leaves look a bit like.  I do not think leaf base is just right or cordate enough to guess that it is a catalpa.  

I cannot see the veins but I am leaning towards flowering dogwood.
Caveman

low_48

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

After zooming in 300% and seeing the new, what looks to be a compound leaf on the tree on the left, I think that Southside and Low48 are right.  
Caveman

Banjo picker

Sorry thats not it.  Here is another pict.
  Banjo

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Are you sure it's a tree and not some sort of brushy plant.  Looks like some thing I see in the woods.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

Not tree of heaven.  I get to see too many of those babies.  Looks familiar, but . . .
HM126

Banjo picker

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 17, 2019, 08:41:48 AM
Are you sure it's a tree and not some sort of brushy plant.  Looks like some thing I see in the woods.
Yes its a tree.  My mickey mouse tree book says it grows to 75 to 100 foot.  So not a bush.  Also it is a native plant, not an import.  Banjo

Nathan Harp

Babylon519

Looks like ash to me.
 - Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Banjo picker

No, & no.  Here they are when they were just sprouting.  Banjo

firefighter ontheside

Ok, I thought you were looking to identify them.  Didn't realize it was a game.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Banjo picker

Banjo picker

That was a slight hint on post 12.  Thats coffee boxes they were sprouted in.  I watched a couple of things on youtube about how some have got them to come up before they arrived.  The method I used was to take a file and cut a light groove into the outer shell.  I will say that is the hardest wood product I have ever seen.  a file will just barely knotch it and you have to bear down at that.  A few looked to have already been swelled, so I just planted them.  Here is a picdture of the seeds with a dime as reference.

You can see where I put a slight knotch in each seed...both sides...just didn't go very deep so as not to mess with the innerds of the seed.

Here are the same seeds after soaking in water for about 30 hours or so.  Something that looks like shellac came off them, then I put them in this little incubator that I made out of a power aid bottle.

I finally put a paper towel on the bottom as well as the top and just kept them damp untill they started to send out a sprout.  As soon as I saw that I put them in some composted horse  manure.   I got 6 little trees so far and several more prospects.  I hope they continue to do well.  I have heard they develope a large tap root so I wonder when I should put them in the ground.  Dont want them to stay in the pot too long.  Thanks to those who posted and followed this.  Banjo

Ron Wenrich

Glad to see everything worked out okay.  I'm finding ones that are coming up in the yard after last year's pod drop.  It will be interesting to see how these develop in a wooded situation.  They tend to be bushy as a yard tree.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

firefighter ontheside

Interesting.  Don't think I've ever seen one.  Tried to get some logs for free last year, but guy never got back to me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DPatton

Here's a photo of one in my neighbors side yard. It was nothing but a 20' tall bullwhip when Steph and I first moved in 19 years ago. It turned into a pretty nice tree since that time.

Z
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Banjo picker

I ended up with 5 real nice young plants...had one more but it didn't look like it would make it in the woods.  I planted the 5 in a place that they should do well.  Planted them about 35 foot apart with plenty of young popular coming up in between them... I will cut the popular back as needed to get the shape I need for the ky coff. trees.  Don't want a plain shade tree type so will let the young populars make them stretch out for a while.  Put a stake by them with a red flag on top so I won't loose them.  Hope they do good.  Banjo

Banjo picker

Its been a little over a month since I put them in their forever home.  They seem to be doing very well.  We have had a couple of weeks with no rain so today I took a little water back to them.  I gave them all a drink although they didn't look like they needed it.  They are said to be drought resistant.  Here is a couple of pictures.  I will need to open up some space for one of them, but the other 4 are getting 6 hours or better of sunlight each day.  The one in the shade looks just fine also.  I have harvested several large popular's from the area and I bet there are several thousand little ones trying to take their place.

I know why there is an old fiddle tune called the holler popular.  When they get to 20 to 24 inches around here you need to cut them or they are gona be holler.

I am going to let the little populars force them to get some height.  Thanks for the seed....you know who you are.  ;) Banjo

Banjo picker

Well they made it through the winter.  Will be interesting to see how much growth they develop this year.

Thank You Sponsors!