iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brush Cutters

Started by Randall, June 13, 2005, 03:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall

I'm either going to buy a Stihl FS250 or a Husq. 232R Clearing
Saw/Weed Cutter.
The Stihl is 40cc at $459. The Husq. is 31cc at $479. I'm cleaning up 40 ac. of forest in North Idaho. Mostly Alder, Pine, Ceder, brush and weeds. No "hard" wood like Oak. Any thoughts?

Tillaway

More cc's the better if your clearing.  I have a 165 Husky out on loan right now.  The 45 cc husky is a good clearing saw too.  Lean towards the bigger Stihl if price is an issue.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Ed_K

I've been running the husky 240r for 3 yrs now. If you get a husky, make sure it has the spring type clutch. The clip type won't stand up to brush cutting.
Ed K

Woodhog

It looks like you are about one range too low for the job you have in mind...

I would look for 45cc and higher for that job...

I use a 345 Husky for that kind of work... If I was more able(younger) I would go up to the next size...
If you get a Husky make sure they throw in the Deluxe Harness at no extra cost...

I dont know much about the Sthil except other people around like them...most are using the two largest Sthils for clearing work....

The local Highways dept uses all Sthils..

Get a few extra blades as they get dull quickly and I find them difficult to sharpen...

maple flats

What is the size of the stems you need to cut? 40 acres is a lot of brush if the density is very high. You might do better with a walk behind brush cutter. The one I used could cut most stems up to about 1 1/4" and some softer ones at 1.5", but if they are in high density clumps you need a tractor mounted brush hog type or a chain saw. Chain saws have a brush bar attachment available but I use a regular saw bar and do it carefullu. Real tough on the back as you are bent over for long periods and the vibration will get to your back muscles rather soon if you are like me. In open fields I have a 5' pivoting blade mower that I use on a 20 HP tractor which works wonders but it is real hard on the equipment. Must keep your foot ready to hit the clutch all the time but still never ride the clutch. As small as this tractor is I can drive over any clump that the tractor has enough weight to climb over and mow it off. Made a brush guard for the radiator that angles up to the homemade canopy roof which also protects the engine. However even this is barely able to do the task. I did clear all of the brush and left the hardwood trees on a 7 acre piece I bought real right on a tax sale and then resold it 2 years later for a handsome profit.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

timberjack240

randall
just get a 3120 with a 33 in bar. that should handle anything you need done   ;D  :D well... i guess thats a little big for what you need it for  ;D

SwampDonkey

I think you'de like the Stihl FS 550 much better than those smaller saws. Forty acres is alot of clearing. When your hitting into hardwood those smaller saws won't have enough umph and you'll think you have a sythe strapped on as you take wacks at the hardwood stems.  You might be ok if the stems are under 2 inches on the stump. Otherwise, your gonna end up with pain in your arms from the extra stress with all that whacking. Blades aren't too bad to sharpen if ya have a guage and make sure the teeth are set up. A tooth set (good one) is about $25 bucks. There are sets built into some sharpening guages, but they aren't worth a pinch of snot, they slip. You can make a sharpening bench right out in the bush by whacking off a 3 or 4 inch stem at 4 feet and cut a groove, top-down into the stump. Set the blade in there and use the supplied pin or * screw driver to stop the blade by spinning (there is a round hole you insert it down into a slot in the blade assembly).

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oakiemac

Randall,

Get a walk behind Gravely brush mower. Not a new one, but an older one from the 60-70's. I have my grandfathers old 1976 model Gravely and it is built like two tanks. No belts, all gear driven, over engineered. Won't bust, rust or take on too much dust. I love that machine. It will cut samplings in the 2" range, thicket, stickers, prickers, weeds 6' tall-it don't matter to a Gravely.
Go to ebay and look under Gravely. they usually have some for under $500. I can't say enough about these machines. I read once where Gravely had decided to sub contract out the making of a cart for their machines. They gave the specs to a vendor, he replied back that their specs where way over done and would cost a fortune to make this cart. Gravely replied back that this is what they expect from all their equipment so just build it.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Randall

Thanks to everyone. I bought the Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!