iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice

Started by Pjames, May 19, 2018, 06:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pjames

What kind of finish do I need to use on an outdoor cedar bench??

caveman

I would use boiled linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits.
Caveman

WDH

On oil finish will be easier to maintain as it soaks into the wood.  Varnish is only a film coat and it will peel over time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Pjames

Thanks for the advice I was leaning toward polyurethane but I have never finished outside furniture before it is just something I put together for my wife actually she is supposed to do the finishing?

Ljohnsaw

I came from a big family (7 kids).  For our dinning table, my folks picked up a 6 or 7 foot diameter picnic table (redwood) with 5 2-seat benches.  They finished it with a really nice varnish.  My Dad's first big paying job was as a varnish cooker so he knew varnish.  It was spectacular.  It stayed inside for years.  We moved to NY and it was outside 1 summer and the varnish cracked and peeled.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

Polyurethane for a dining table inside. It might not be the "best" finish, but it will handle the moisture / spills / kids better than the fancier finishes. Outside, the UV sunlight and weather will break it down over time, and it just ends up looking ugly and flaking. 

An oil finish is better when it's outside. It will also break down over time, but you just re-apply it as needed to keep the wood looking good. Make it an annual "spring cleanup" thing and cedar will last and look good for years. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Pjames

Thanks for the advice will try to add picks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Poly will shed like a snakeskin in a few years, but any kind of oil is good.   

Cedar doesn't care, it will last a long time the way it is.  Hit it with a pressure washer every once in a while, it will turn bright red again.  Cedar has a lot of natural oils, and as long as the piece hasn't been high temperature kiln dried, the oils will stay in the wood.  

If you want to keep as much color as possible, use a marine spar varnish with UV inhibiters, but as any boat owner will tell you, varnish is a maintenance item.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Pjames

Thanks I will go with linseed oil don't mind reapplying every now and then

Thank You Sponsors!