iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log-splitters

Started by tstex, January 12, 2009, 04:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

This is the setup to work up firewood out of junk logs. Seein' as how I have a bad back and no one trying to give me a check I have to make adjustments.

The log is placed on the old truck bed with the loader and cut up with chain saw, standing up straight. Wood is them rolled to the other side of the bed and on the splitter, don't matter how big they are they still roll, no lifting. Split wood is thrown in the box at the end of the splitter then picked up with the loader. It is easier on me than setting the splitter upright and bending over on the big ones. The splitter is a 35 ton Huskee, a Speeco rebranded for Tractor Supply.

Bill

ohsoloco

That's a SWEET setup ya got there WH  :)  My back is in rough shape as well, and I've always thought it would be nice to have everything on a platform.  I also split all of my wood by hand (5-10 cords a year), and that constant bending over is a real pain.  Gotta try that splitting in an old tire trick I just read on here the other day.

bandmiller2

Superdave,I have often thought about a hay bailer splitter but the bailers I've owned were always making too much money bailing horse hay to cut up.There is an old time tool you see at shows called a woodpecker.Big overhead flywheel crank and wedge that constantly travels about 8"up and down.Under the wedge is like a piano stool threaded to adjust up and down.You hold the chunk[by the side] and when the wedge is going up put it under.Osha wood surely fudge their rompers if built today.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Rockfarmer

I would stay away from anything with a Briggs motor. Nothing but poor assembly/performance from these motors lately. Sad but true.

wi woodcutter

Quote from: Rockfarmer on January 18, 2009, 08:58:46 AM
I would stay away from anything with a Briggs motor. Nothing but poor assembly/performance from these motors lately. Sad but true.

Got that right! You could not give me a B+S motor, maybe for a boat anchor. Too bad because they are only made 60 miles from my house.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

ErikC

On the Briggs motor-we have a troy built rototiller with one it starts and runs fine, and is 8years old. But only has about 15 or 20 hours probably. We had a generator with one, the motor blew a hole in the block after 150  hours. Good thing I don't use the rototiller more than a couple of hours a year.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

bmill

I have a troybuilt 27 ton with a 5,5hp honda and couldn't be happier. have had it for a bit over a year and have split about 8 cords with it. It is amazing how big a piece you can split with it. I split Burr Oak and Red Elm with no problems.  I got mine on sale at Lowes last year for $945. They run about $1300 now, but they should go on sale in a month or two.
1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

cheyenne

Unfortunately Troy-Bilt was bought up by MTD after Troy-Bilt went bankrupt due to the foriegn import invasion of the market place & the stiffling business enviroment of New York State. But I have seen a drop in the quaility of Troy-Bilt since then. It's to bad because Troy-Bilt was a familey owned business that took pride in their products. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

ErikC

My dad has an older troy-built rototiller. I'm happy with the one I've got  but there is definitely a noticeable difference in how heavy duty his is compared to mine. I think he has replaced the motor on his 3 times, and he has beat the daylights out of it in rocky ground, but the tiller is still going strong. I assume their log-splitters have followed the same pattern.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sawmilllawyer

Engineer, my brother and I bought our splitter at a farm auction for about 1/3 of new price. Just a suggestion. Why rent if you can find a deal and buy? The convenience of splittiing wood when you decide you want to is worth it. Besides in one hour working steady I can split a heap of wood and burn a quart+ of gasoline.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!