iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitters

Started by Adam_MA, April 20, 2009, 02:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_MA

Just wondering what everyone's preference is with brands and such. I have been looking at the one from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96907
It's a 9hp 30ton unit with a log lifter. I think I would prefer one like this rather than standing hunched over with a vertical model.

Any good deals out there?

WH_Conley

Got mine as a return at Tractor Supply, big discount,no log loader.
Bill

Ironmower

Looks alright, the only thing I wouldn't like is that you are pushin' the wood istead of the splitter head, not a big deal, unless you're splittin' "bigger" wood ;)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

cheyenne

I would be very suspect of anything from Harbor Freight. It does not seem to be very well built. Make sure to get a two stage unit. By the time you pay freight charges you could get a Troy-Bilt or something equal.Buy American....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Ironmower

I believe the Huskee brand splitter from Tractor Supply is a well-built & affordable machine, I had a Yard machine (made by MTD) it was a fair machine also, but I didn't like the cast iron splitter head, and yes, I agree with cheyenne, buy American ;) ;D
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

york

"Are you tired of waiting for the boat to come in with your stuff"

Buy American.....
Albert

RSteiner

On things like that I like to touch it and see for myself what the quality of the welding is and the brand of the components are.

Cycle time might be the one thing I would be interested in, of course all the cycle times are figured when the pump is in the high volume first stage of operation.

I have a SuperSplit and really like it but it did cost twice the price of the one you are looking at.

Randy
Randy

Adam_MA

I guess I have some more thinking to do. I would of course rather buy American, and now that I do some checking you are right. With shipping and then the fluids I would have to buy I am pretty much over what it would cost to buy the TroyBilt one. I would be losing the lifter, but honestly I don't know how much I would even use that option. I have only used horizontal splitters before, but with the Troy I would have the option of horizontal or vertical if the pieces are more than I want to lift.

I would love to get one of the SuperSplit models, but for the 4-5 cord a year I can't justify the extra expense.

Now I am leaning heavily toward the TroyBilt model. Does anyone have feedback to offer about the LS27 the 27 ton model?

Thanks again
Adam

Raider Bill

Just my .02 but look hard at the super splitter. HAd one years ago, brother still uses it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

wi woodcutter

I have a speeco and I like it a lot.

I sell a lot of firewood in the winter, so it gets used a lot.

It is also made in the USA.

They are sold at Tractor Supply by their own name.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

rebocardo

> but for the 4-5 cord a year

That is not much wood, I would look at an electric splitter. I split that much oak and pine in one week with my $300 electric (made in China and bought end of season $240 with two year warranty) log splitter bought at Lowes.

I can attest it hates green sweet gum though :-)

You can buy heavy duty electric ones for about $700 on E-Bay (I have not tested those).

The cheap gas splitters HF and others work fine for a few cords a year, I have customers that use them.

I guess the target wood and size pretty much dictates what type of splitter and how much $

Victor

Adam,

I have the Troybilt LS33 which I bought new 3 seasons ago. I like it very much. I split about 7 cords per year for home heating. I have split both oak and maple over 36" diameter with no trouble in vertical mode.

I am thinking about buying a Rayco log splitter ($6,700.00) as I have about 50 cord to split this year. I got a lot of wood from tree service people this year and need to get it split. I would be willing to sell the LS33 for a very fair price.

Victor

Adam_MA

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think I would be happy with one of the smaller electric splitters. I have seen them in action, and I am not very impressed. Also, if I am going to spend $700 for a splitter, I would rather add money to it for a decent gas powered one, so I'm not tied to an electrical outlet whenever I want to split.

Victor, I sent you a PM regarding the splitter you have for sale.

Thanks again
Adam

RSteiner

Quote from: Adam_MA on April 21, 2009, 11:30:46 AM
I guess I have some more thinking to do. I would of course rather buy American, and now that I do some checking you are right. With shipping and then the fluids I would have to buy I am pretty much over what it would cost to buy the TroyBilt one. I would be losing the lifter, but honestly I don't know how much I would even use that option. I have only used horizontal splitters before, but with the Troy I would have the option of horizontal or vertical if the pieces are more than I want to lift.

I would love to get one of the SuperSplit models, but for the 4-5 cord a year I can't justify the extra expense.

Now I am leaning heavily toward the TroyBilt model. Does anyone have feedback to offer about the LS27 the 27 ton model?

Thanks again
Adam

My neighbor and a friend of his picked up a used TroyBilt splitter which I thnik is in the 27 ton range.  It looks like a well put together unit and does a good job for their splitting needs.  Together they may split around 6 full cords of hardwood.  It does seem to have a good size gas engine powering it which I can hear from my place 1/8 of a mile away.

Randy
Randy

Modat22

I buy based on the engine powering it. Briggs, kohler. but prefer PTO driven  ;)
remember man that thy are dust.

cheyenne

I have a troy-bilt 33 ton and split 100 cords a year. You pick...Longivity is happiness.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Adam_MA

WOW! 100 cords a year sure speaks to the quality and durability of the machine!

Thanks for the reply

Captain

Adam we've got about a dozen Troy Bilt units out with customers and they absolutely adore them.  Good buy for the price range.  I have a difficult time beating the price on them at Lowe's we're within about $75 of them.

Captain

Adam_MA

Just a quick update.

I picked up my splitter on Saturday morning, and got to splitting wood when I got home. WOW! What an easy machine to use. That Honda engine is quiet, and doesn't even seem to be working hard at all. I only used it in the horizontal position, mostly because I've never used a vertical splitter, but I'm gonna try in in the vertical position on some larger stuff I have waiting to be split.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

Adam

Thank You Sponsors!