iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 390 starts well cold. Won't start hot.

Started by Ward Barnes, March 12, 2012, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks:

Now that the carb has been rebuilt my Sthil MS 390 will start and idle when the engine is cold but will not restart after about one tankful of fuel.  I am using 93 octane non-ethanol fuel.  New spark plug.  Any suggestions?

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

kenskip1

Try enriching the low side about a 1/4 turn.When cold it has the extra gas when using the choke but hot it requires a bit more gas.Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

lumberjack48

If it restarts using the chock when hot, then do what kenskp1 said.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

T Welsh

Ward Barnes

Quote from: kenskip1 on March 12, 2012, 04:27:13 PM
Try enriching the low side about a 1/4 turn.When cold it has the extra gas when using the choke but hot it requires a bit more gas.Ken

Early today at home the saw started on the first pull.  Went directly to the new cutting area and could not get it to start at all.  Brought it home, readjusted the carb and it started and ran normally on the top end and idled a bit rough.  Adjusted the AL and it now starts, runs and idles like a champ.  Ran a full tank of gas through it on some oak and it seems to be holding its own.  Thanks for all the help.  I will be giving it a full work out on my next day off.  A neighbor has several large and tall oaks down across her fence so I'm calling her yard my new cutting area.

God Bless, and thanks again, Ward and Mary.  P.S. I'll let you know how she does.  wpb

7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Thank You Sponsors!