iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 271

Started by NITRO313jh, December 29, 2014, 07:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NITRO313jh

Never been a Stihl Guy, J red or Hysky All I have ever run, 266 ,625 / 630 and 262XP  . But Under the tree was a NEW never fired up MS271 . My Dad and Brother picked out for me . As I am Now heating with Wood Again. And They  thought I could use a NEW Saw . Not what I would have Got for my self , But What are your thoughts ? Not shore what to do ? I would have Gone With A Red One .  :-\ ??? ??? ???

NITRO313jh

What Are any ones thoughts on the MS271 ? Should I run it or try and trade it in on a Red Or Orange saw ? ?

missedbass

I've had mine 2years now and never had a problem. keep the chain sharp and the blade clean and the saw has been great.
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

JohnG28

It's a ~50cc firewood saw.  As long as you keep that in mind I think it will work just fine.  It's not Stihl's best by any means, but also far from their worst.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

The people who own them in these parts use them for a light weight less expensive trim saw .Most are pleased with them for that purpose .

Bricklayer51

Bought mine in aug. ran around ten tanks red and white oak and ash I am happy so far but this is my first new saw.

NITRO313jh

Thanks Guys . I have decided to keep it . May fire it up in the next few days . Still cutting cord wood . At least I am working on Next years wood . At least I hope I am . Happy new year to all on the list ! Be safe and cut straight :new_year: :) :) :)

missedbass

Good luck with it and after you have run a few tanks through it let us know what you think. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 29, 2014, 09:47:42 PM
It's a ~50cc firewood saw.  As long as you keep that in mind I think it will work just fine.  It's not Stihl's best by any means, but also far from their worst.  ;)
It is a "homeowner" class saw, with a clamshell engine and a plastic case - and heavy for just 50cc. The 291 makes more sense, if you can find one without any silly add-ons...
Information collector.

JohnG28

It's probably about on part with my Husky 350, in size, power and weight. I consider that saw to be light and well powered for its size. It's not a 261, but it doesn't cost what a 261 costs either. I like that size saw, and even a heavy 50cc saw is easier on the operator than an 80-90cc saw IMO. But to each his own!  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

NITRO313jh

Sawtroll. I know it is not what I would have Got for my self . But  what can I do ? Just run it and know that it is a Home owner saw . Not the Red one I would have picked out Thanks JEFF :new_year: ;) :) :new_year: :new_year: :new_year:

SawTroll

Quote from: NITRO313jh on December 31, 2014, 06:50:54 PM
Sawtroll. I know it is not what I would have Got for my self . But  what can I do ? Just run it and know that it is a Home owner saw . Not the Red one I would have picked out Thanks JEFF :new_year: ;) :) :new_year: :new_year: :new_year:

It will of course do the job it is designed for - it just is what it is!  :)

Happy New Year! :new_year:
Information collector.

7sleeper

So how does it run? Have you already run a few refills through it?

Don't forget, still a classic carb and no electronic. That might still be seen by a few as a definitiv plus.

luvmexfood

I would keep it and run it some rather than risk hurting their feelings. If you don't like it then you can always set it up and say it has too much sentimitial value to use everyday.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

NITRO313jh

The Plan was to Run it today ( Saturday ) . But By the Looks of the weather that is not going to be the case . SNOW , Ice and Rain on the way .
Starting Early Am  :(  . No need to work in that weather if I do not have too. No need to get Cold and wet just to give it a try . Lots of time to fire it up when the weather is a bit better .
??? Question , I know it said to run it at 50/1 . I have run my others at 40 /1 and never had an issue . Any one have any thoughts on running it Rich on OIL . I Know that When I Got My 625II New the shop owner told me to run it at 40/1 not the 50/1 the book said to . So That is what I have done with that and the ,262xp  and the 630 No Issues at all . Only 91 or better octane ..   
  As soon as I run it a bit I will let you all know what I think

JohnG28

I run around 40:1 in all my saws/equipment. Also run high octane, although that's also due to it being only ethanol free gas I can get.

luvmexfood

I always follow what the owners manual says. Who should know better than the manufactor. Course that's just me and my opinion.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!