iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello New member with a bar replacement Question

Started by Spudler, January 08, 2015, 12:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spudler

Hi , This may sound funny after reading some posts, but here goes.
I am trying to find a Bar abd chain combination to "Upgrade" my Poulan Pro PP4218 from a 18" to a 20"
Before you all start with the Cons about this, Trust me I need the extra length for 2 projects I am in the middle of and
I have actually been tuning the PP4218 and I have it screaming (in a good rip through wood way)
To be honest I was totally bummed with this saw first day as it kept bogging and dying at full throttle which I instantly knew was due to far to lean carb settings.
Once I fixed that along with a couple other small tweaks this saw all of a sudden became Awesome.
I have been cutting through a 90' Leaning Tower of Pine that was about to fall on my house after a wind storm and the last 20 feet happen to be larger in diameter by just enough that I need a 20" blade.
I cannot afford to spend $199 on the PP5020 ( I actually only have the PP4218 as I did some work for a neighbor that purchased the saw about 10 days ago and after I was done he gave it to me.
SO anyway back to my delima, I cannot find a combo bar abd chain kit that will work on this yet.
The Oregon ones I found the chain does not mesh with the drive sprocket correctly and so far I am puzzled as to how or if I can even use a 20" bar on the PP4218A
BTW thank you in advance :)

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

QuoteTrust me I need the extra length for 2 projects I am in the middle of and

Would like to hear about the 2 projects. 

As for the parts needed, pay a call to our sponsor Chainsawr (see left column where sponsors are listed) as a good possibility.

No mention of what the cost limit is, so why I'm curious about the "trust me, I need.. " comment. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Spudler -

20" is too much bar for that saw, IMO (though IMO, 18" is also too much bar for that saw). Cutting pine, it will be less of an issue than if you are cutting hardwoods. Keep the chain sharp, and have patience.

You can pretty easily use an 18" bar to cut up to +/- 36" trees if you cut in from both sides (maybe not quite 36", since an 18" bar doesn't necessarily have 18" of available cutting length). With a couple of tricks, you can cut substantially larger than 36".

If you are determined to put a 20" bar on this, both the bar and the chain will have to have a pitch that matches the pitch of your drive sprocket. (Pitch is basically the distance between the teeth on the chain - its not measured at the teeth, but that gives an idea of what I'm talking about.) 

The fact that the chain does not mesh with your drive sprocket is an indication that you have the wrong pitch chain for that sprocket. If the chain does mesh properly with the sprocket on the bar tip, then your Bar will not work with the drive sprocket on your chain.

You could change just the drive sprocket on your saw, but that would b=mean you can no longer use your 18" bars and chains.  I suggest looking for a 20" bar and chain which matches the pitch of your drive sprocket.  It's probably stamped on your bar somewhere, typically you'd see .325 pitch, or .375 or .375 low profile, though there are other pitches out there. The gauge (width of the slot the chain rides in on your bar) does not HAVE to match your existing bar - the drive sprocket should handle any gauge of chain - but it may make sense to have that match for convenience: all of your bars will then use the same style of chain

I would try calling forum sponsor Chainsawr as beenthere suggested. Have your existing bar in front of you so you can read of the info stamped on it.  Or take your bar & saw to a real chainsaw dealer (I don't count the big box stores in that category). You might have the best luck at a Husqvarna dealer. Husky makes Poulin saws, and I believe your Poulin uses one of the standard Husky bar mount methods - so a Husky dealer is more likely to stock something that will fit.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnG28

A quick look online shows your saw has a 3/8" pitch, 0.050 gauge low profile chain, which makes sense on a smaller saw.  So you'd need to find a bar which will match the bolt up pattern for that saw and be 3/8" lo-pro setup.  Then the correct chain to match that bar, which will be a low profile, 3/8" chain.  Not sure the drive link count but I'd guess around 70-72.  As suggested, Chainsawr is a good place to look.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

double clutchin weasel

http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/products/bar02---guide-bars-that-match-mount-type-a041-k041-t041--z041-426-c

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/lookups/selguide.aspx?BusId=OCS&SellReg=USA&LangId=ENG

Looks like you may need an A04, K041, or T041 motor mount, depending on adjuster type & the shape of the heel end of the bar.

Good Oregon website to start on...and another for reference!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

SawTroll

3/8 lo-pro bars usually are quite a bit shorter than "called" - but a 20" still is too much on that saw, unless the chain is skip (the original chain may well be)
Information collector.

sawguy21

He will not find skip in lo pro. I agree though, if he needs 20" he needs more saw. Even  18" is too much for a 42cc saw but that is what sells at the box stores.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Aren't some of the consumer safety chains essentially a skip chain? They have an extra bumper link taking the place of some of the teeth.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 11, 2015, 12:46:23 PM
He will not find skip in lo pro. I agree though, if he needs 20" he needs more saw. Even  18" is too much for a 42cc saw but that is what sells at the box stores.

A lot of small consumer saws with long bars comes with that kind of chain - but finding  them elsewhere may be a challenge.....
Information collector.

rburg

Left Coast Supplies has a 20" GB bar A041 mount lo pro 3/8 that should fit your saw. I am not sure what length chain it would take. My 18" GB bar only takes 62 drive links for an 18" bar. I believe you would do just as well cutting from both sides.

Thank You Sponsors!