iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LT40HDG28-RA delivered

Started by pnyberg, October 16, 2009, 09:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

If you missed it, the prior chapter in this tale is here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39413.0.html

As I mentioned at the end of that thread, the mill was delivered yesterday (Oct 15), by Jeremy and Kyle from the Hannibal, NY office.  In talking with Jeremy earlier in the week, he had told me that they would be leaving at about 6:00 AM, and they would expect to arrive around 11:00.  Jeremy called from the truck around mid-morning to say that they had run into traffic near Albany, and would be a bit late.  They pulled up to the house at about 11:45.

When the arborists visited a while back, they created the good quality logs milled by New England Saw & Lumber in September, and also some lower quality logs that I had told them to just leave in the woods where they fell.  In the days leading up to the mill delivery, I had spent some time using my LogRite Fetching Arch to get these out where we would be able to use them for instructional, and practice purposes.  I didn't want to try to get my tractor into the area, so in this case I was using the tongs rather than the winch and cable.  This was yet another learning experience, but I was able to maneuver a few good sized logs out to a woods road.

I staged these logs in the same area I used for the prior set, and had Jeremy and Kyle set up my new mill in the same location that Scy and Jane Montgomery had set up theirs. 

I had pulled my camera out before they arrived, and had intended to take pictures during the training, but the human brain can only juggle so many things at the same time.  Once they started running me around the mill showing me this, and that, and the other thing, the camera was forgotten. 

Among the features that Jeremy pointed out to me, there were a few surprises.   When I ordered a new mill, I chose the Debarker, Accuset, Autoclutch, Board Return, and 2 extra side support options. (The start out small and slow theory had been thrown over the side at some point.) Then Dave Scott called and said that I could have all that plus the Command Control Station on a demo unit with 6 hours on it for only $392 more.  So, we went with that.  Dave didn't mention that the four outriggers along the main rail had been upgraded to the Fine Adjustment Outrigger (FAO) units.  He also didn't mention that the mill had the Lube-Mizer option installed.  I don't think there's anything left.

So, after a whirlwind tour of the setup process, Jeremy demonstrated a bit of log handling and sawing, and then turned the controls over to me, so that under close supervision, I could do a bit of log handling and sawing.  Kyle must be low man on the totem pole, because he mostly got to tail. 

Two mid-sized logs got milled up into 4/4 stock of dubious merit, after which I got a brief tour of the major maintenance  points.  Then, we took care of that annoying paperwork.  Then, I remembered the camera.

There's Kyle on the left, and Jeremy on the right, with my mill behind.  What's that blue thing?

Kyle took a picture with me on the left, and Jeremy again on the right.  And another mysterious blue smudge.

After Jeremy and Kyle left, I played around a little with the last log.  This was definitely an ugly log, with several large branches and other irregularities.

I toyed around with this slowly, trying to get a feel for things.  At one point, I totally lost control during an attempt at rotating.  Fortunately, I had learned to leave the arms up.

I got the log loaded up again, and made a few more cuts before shutting down.  The Accuset was confusing me.  I had a family dinner that had been arranged months before that I needed to attend.  Also, it was snowing.  This is not common for mid October in Connecticut.

Dinner came off without a major incident (which is the best you can hope for).   The sort-of-snow continued through the night, and in the morning, I found this:

OK, it's not exactly a winter wonderland, but I've seen what can happen when wet snow falls before the leaves fall, and it's not pretty.  So, I'm glad this is all there was.

I sawed up the remainder of the last log today.  I had spent some time studying the manual, so I was a little less confused than yesterday.  Still, using Pattern Mode, I ended up with a thick board an a thin board at the bottom, so I must have been doing something wrong.

I think that's enough for now. 

Now I own a mill, but I don't think that makes me a sawyer.

--Peter
No longer milling

Dan_Shade

you'll be a sawyer soon enough.

A little practice, and learning how to start your cuts, and when to turn the log, you'll be rolling!

I "loose" a log every now and then.  I find it slightly embarrassing when in front of a customer, but it happens.  Leaving those arms up is very wise.

I've found with small logs, it's easier to flip the cant with a cant hook from the back side.  If you have a good helper, they can have it flipped by the time you get the clamp loose enough to engage the turner.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

James P.

Congratulations on your new mill. Saw the snow on the news this morning . Record early season snow. I would have negotiated for a woodmizer jacket ;) You've earned it

DanG

That was a good report, Pnyberg.  I get excited when somebody gets a new mill and tells us all about the arrival.  It is a really special moment in a fella's life, because most people spend years in the "I want one" mode before they take the plunge.  I was glad to see that you included a couple of your little initial boo-boos in your write-up.  Even veteran sawyers get those when learning a new mill, and talking about them might help a novice feel a little less intimidated.  I'm happy to see that you have gotten such a fine new machine.  Besides all that, it is nice to see a Woodmizer that hasn't turned pink yet. ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fishpharmer

Pnyberg,  as my kids would say about a new toy.........

AWESOME! 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for sharing your whole decision making / purchasing process with us.  You have done an outstanding job conveying  your  path towards sawyer in a clear logical way.  I truly look forward to reading the next chapters.  I have no doubt that a person with your attention to detail will excel in the field or should I say woods. ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

Congrats on the new mill. Been so long since I've seen the orginal color of a WM mill I was shock at how bright the color is if its clean. You got to hand it to them WM guys they can talk some  of us in to just about anything and then up sale us and we like it. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Congrats on the new mill Peter ;D ;D 8) 8)  as James said  ;) You have gone through the whole process of selecting and organizing a mill for yourself  well  ;) ;D and You will be of to a Great Start Mate  ;D 8) 8) 8) The Ccs,bdb and auto clutch would be sweet as ive only used walk along type heads on the basic WMlt40s ive run in the past  ;) ;D

With becoming a Sawyer it all takes time  ;) but you have a nice bit of gear to learn how to on  ;D it takes me anywhere from 2 hrs to a week to get tuned into a different mill and/or controls to become realy productive on it as i dont like pushing a machine untill i have it in my memory what dose what  ;) as it saves some pretty expensive lessons   :o :)  ??? ::) :D  :D :D the biggest thing to remember is to not get your self in a rush  ;) just work smooth and steady and you will soon pickup the pace and remember we all get the odd misscut Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D

Customsawyer Its funny how they loose that brand spanking new shine off em  :o :( it must come from alot of use Mate   ;) :D ;D 8) the hour meter broke on the one i use to use (lt40super15e)but the first time i was on it it was 2 months old and the last time i sawed on it was about 14 months ago but its done a power of work in 10 years doing breakdown of oversize logs  ;) ;D 8)

AWESOME  ;)  ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Im just a Big Kid James  ;) :D :D :D :D  ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill Pete!  8)

I don't see where that particular log was ugly!   ;D
You wait a while and you'll get some that will make that one look like a high-value log!  ;)

Again, congrats!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

Congratulations, that is a nice mill that you got.
Whenever I find an odd thickness on the bottom board, I make a quick check to see if the head is still calibrated, this is done by setting the control panel to12" with the band over one of the four solid bedrails, and measuring from the tip of the lower tooth to the bedrail. It should be 12" on the drive side and slightly over on the idler side. If it is not then you need to recalibrate the head. If it is 12" then you smile and know that the mill is still cutting accurately. If you look closely, you will find corrective cuts in all of our tailing piles at some time or another.
The accuset can seem a bit intimidating at first, but as you put time on the machine and find what all of the features do, and become fluent with it, it becomes your best feature.
Enjoy learning your new mill.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

Nice photos. I've spoken with both Jeremy and Kyle, and had a visit from Jeremy as well. They can usually walk you through any question right on the phone. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!