iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Rain. The flood warnings continue along the St John River in the low lands.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Had 70s early this week. Now back down to a more normal 50, last night was 27. Still snow to melt in places but at least the frost has mostly left the ground. 

Woodcutter_Mo

It's been in the 70's and 80's the last few days and windy. This morning I woke up at 3:00 to my cell phone going off with weather alerts. I went outside to make sure the windows were rolled up in my truck and I could hear the tornado sirens going off in town. I don't know of any tornados touching down, but the storm got pretty crazy for a while. Supposed to be warm with more storms today and looks nice for the weekend.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

SwampDonkey

Heavy rain and thunder storm here last night. Not going to be good for the flood depth down river. The old Saint John runs deep and very swift right now. And this is no small little river to begin with.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I suppose I had the same storms here last night. Even woke me up twice!!
The heat is back on. Need something to take the chill off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

We had high winds with "sideways" rain and hail!

Our area was under a Tornado Watch!

Lasted quite a while, then the rain slowed to a stop, but before it did, we lost power around 8:00pm, and the outage lasted about 4 hours!

Didn't take long for the ditches to fill up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

Many areas around here are under a flood watch.  First snow melt  and now rain.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SwampDonkey

I did see a bumblebee yesterday. Today it has cleared to sunny skies, but wind. A drying wind. ;D

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on May 03, 2018, 09:35:17 AMIt's been in the 70's and 80's the last few days and windy. This morning I woke up at 3:00 to my cell phone going off with weather alerts. I went outside to make sure the windows were rolled up in my truck and I could hear the tornado sirens going off in town. I don't know of any tornados touching down, but the storm got pretty crazy for a while. Supposed to be warm with more storms today and looks nice for the weekend.

What do ya do when that happens (you can hear the tornado sirens at night)?  Do you have a shelter in, under, or outside the house?  Just wondering, we don't get too much of that type of weather around here, I'm guessing falling back asleep isn't the answer!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Chuck White

This was the second high-wind period we've had this Spring!

I think I posted a while ago that the wind took a very large limb out of one of the White Pine trees (38 inches across the stump) in the middle of my back yard!  The rest of the tree had to be taken down, and we got six 8-foot logs, and a 6-foot butt log out of it!

Well, to add to the post that I made this morning, I went out at about 8:30 and over half of a second White Pine yard tree was on the ground, so that planned our day!  We hooked the logging winch cable up in the remaining standing part and pulled tight, then sawed while pulling more and soon the remaining part was also on the ground!  Got only two 8-footers out of it!  Finished the clean-up late this afternoon!

WHEW!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I know what that clean-up is like. I've taken down 8 problem trees this spring in the yard. Two days to haul brush and make firewood. ;D I had to remove the old butternut and the two walnut trees this spring. The walnuts were never very frost hardy, the hurricane in 2014 took out a major limb on the butternut. Butternut is amazingly rot resistant, but prone to wind damage. The wood is not strong and limbs grow out too long. If I had a place for the but logs I would have saved them. But no, so they are firewood. Shame. ;)

But brush, even a 60 foot tall spruce makes one big pile of brush. But at least softwood branches stack fairly neat. Now hardwoods have limbs more aerial and don't stack flat. Oh, well. Fire or fungus will flatten them. But we can't burn as simply around here no more. By May 1st one has to have a burn plan, not just a permit. No place for a fire to get away around my lot, there is acres of bare mud all around.  ;)

thecfarm

A cool down for us.  ;D   Not even going to get in the 70's today.
We had a storm the other night,hard rain and hard,and I mean hard wind. Some places had no power. I suppose some trees came down on the lines.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

SD;  Butternut is good woodcarvers material!

We never had any luck getting Butternut to burn unless you already had a good fire going first!

There might be a market in your area for the butt logs!

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on May 05, 2018, 01:05:58 PM
Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on May 03, 2018, 09:35:17 AMIt's been in the 70's and 80's the last few days and windy. This morning I woke up at 3:00 to my cell phone going off with weather alerts. I went outside to make sure the windows were rolled up in my truck and I could hear the tornado sirens going off in town. I don't know of any tornados touching down, but the storm got pretty crazy for a while. Supposed to be warm with more storms today and looks nice for the weekend.

What do ya do when that happens (you can hear the tornado sirens at night)?  Do you have a shelter in, under, or outside the house?  Just wondering, we don't get too much of that type of weather around here, I'm guessing falling back asleep isn't the answer!
I live about 5 miles from town where the siren is, we can usually just hear it if we're outside. Quit a few people have shelters around here, we have a cellar in the back yard but rarely go in it. We usually just watch the weather and if it looks like we may have trouble we usually just go in a room with no windows. 
 In town there is a public storm shelter for people to go in. 
 I would like to eventually get a storm shelter, this house has been here around 120 years with out being blown away but you never know. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

SwampDonkey

I find butternut burns quick when dry. Right now it is ringing wet. ;D I can always add some cedar or spruce to coax it along. ;)

Too late for carving and lumber, no place to store it. Everything is full up with furniture from moving. :D

Yeah, butternut is good carving wood. I have an old butter tray my great great grandmother would wash the butter in when removed from the churn. Yup, old considering they was the first homestead on the Tobique River. And butternut was growing along the shore then.

chest

Chuck White

Really nice stuff there, SD!  ;)

SwampDonkey

Been watching for fiddleheads. Still nothing but dry spore heads from last year. Probably be jumping up this week, it is going to be sunny, and if like yesterday, on the muggy side. Be tramping the bush this week running lines and boundary ribbons for thinning.

thecfarm

I saw someone in town selling fiddleheads.
Need a sweatshirt on here first thing in the morning and late evening. But the sun has been out.  

SwampDonkey

I've been eating fiddleheads this week to. The little brook by the house has a few.

Was in the 70's, now down in the 50's. We had frost a couple days ago, and suppose to dip into the 20's tonight, but recover to 60's on Saturday. ;D

curdog

We've had thunderstorms the last couple of days , dumped hail yesterday on my way home.  Looks like we're going to get a taste of summer this weekend with 93 on Sunday... I'm not ready for the heat.....is it fall yet?

thecfarm

Frost? I have not been out yet,but 32°.  I am on a small hill,I might of made it.
I can hear people now saying how cold it is. Just normal weather for Maine. Mid 80's last week,yesterday if you was standing around,you would need a sweat shirt on. 

Bricklayer51

We had frost the last two nights it is supposed to warm up a little this coming week going to put my plants in the garden sunday

SwampDonkey

A light frost this morning on the grass. Never seemed to hit the plants in the woods. Fiddle heads was still bright green this evening up near the woodlot. Sure was a good drying wind, clothes on the line dried between loads mother said. :)

thecfarm

Yesterday was another cold day. The wind was blowing. Seem like it's warmer early this morning than high noon yesterday.

chevytaHOE5674

Frost the last 4 mornings. Thursday night the temp dropped to 21° and stayed there for 7 hours, needless to say the ground was frozen, water troughs iced over, garden hose froze solid, grass and tree buds turning a little black at the tips. Days have been in the 40s to around 50. Nothing super was but nice working weather.

Thank You Sponsors!