iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any news on the MS 462?

Started by WoodBurner19, December 06, 2016, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Very nice well done video....But that operator was struggling with it. The chain's depth gauges were way too low.
I would have refused to run it until that problem was fixed.
If it wasn't the depth gauges then they had way too much hook in the cutter side plates.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

I took a second look at that video and saw what looked like 2 different operators.
The first guy apologized "sorry for the dull Chain."
But in fact it wasn't dull, the chain just had the wrong settings making it too aggressive that's why he was struggling with it.
The second tree that was felled was by what looks like a pro who cuts daily. His helmet screen was always down when cutting and he was smooth on the saw.
The chain was cutting good and from seeing his bar's Stihl logo was not upside down like the first guy's, he probably resharpened  or replaced the chain.

leeroyjd

I wondered if the first operator was not used to the felling spikes on that saw.
They looked much larger than 461 etc?

DelawhereJoe

The guy in that last video said something about a new chain, does anyone have any info or guess on whats so special about it ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on November 22, 2017, 02:26:18 PM
The guy in that last video said something about a new chain, does anyone have any info or guess on whats so special about it ?
Husqvarna has introduced their own line of chain now called "X- Cut" followed with a  different # for each pitch and style. The chain as mentioned on the 572XP is labelled  C85.
What I can see from looking at it on my phone the rivets are flattened, the cutter bit appears to be moved further  back from the depth gauge producing a large gullet. It appears to be a narrow kerf cutting chain right out of the box.
To better explain we all know a chain will cut the fastest when the cutters are filed back to almost half with the cutting edge just a little ahead of the rear rivet. That's how this new X-Cut chain is designed new right out of the box.

The host of that video said they tested the the MS462 with a 33RSC chain against the 572XP with the new C85 chisel chain. The 572XP cut 2.2 seconds,  the MS462  3 seconds in the same log.
But the 572XP with the Oregon rebadged H42 chain took over 4 seconds.

teakwood

I want one!  Is the 462 available in the US and at what price?

Stihl's New MS 462 Chainsaw - Review - YouTube
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on February 14, 2018, 09:25:56 PM
I want one!  Is the 462 available in the US and at what price?

Stihl's New MS 462 Chainsaw - Review - YouTube
Yeah that's a great video teakwood.
I want a MS462C  too but still not available in North America.  Hopefully sometime this year. ???
It would make a perfect team match with my MS261CM .
Reason why I recently sold off most of all my Husqvarnas. ;D

teakwood

You can buy it in Europe for around 1350 Euros and send it to Canada. ;D

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on February 15, 2018, 06:23:46 AM
You can buy it in Europe for around 1350 Euros and send it to Canada. ;D
Ouch! A MS461 here in Canada retails for $1,280 Cad.
1,350 Euros is $2,100 Cad :o
I'll wait until they come to my dealer plus I'll have warranty :)

teakwood

Wow, that's cheap. I heard that everything is super expensive in Canada (a beer around 8$??), but it seems that the chainsaws are pretty reasonable.

Of course the 462 will be a little more than the 461.

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on February 15, 2018, 06:50:35 PM
Wow, that's cheap. I heard that everything is super expensive in Canada (a beer around 8$??), but it seems that the chainsaws are pretty reasonable.

$8 for a beer sounds like a price from Norway.  :D
We do pay more taxes here though compared to our neighbors south of the border.  Retail tax here in Manitoba is 2 taxes : GST 5% PST 8%.
But to pay for our infrastructure for a country larger in land mass but with 1/10th the population of the U.S. We have to pay substantially  more tax dollars. And our Medicare for "everyone"  is not cheap either.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 16, 2018, 01:04:57 AM
Quote from: teakwood on February 15, 2018, 06:50:35 PM

$8 for a beer sounds like a price from Norway.  :D
We do pay more taxes here though compared to our neighbors south of the border.  Retail tax here in Manitoba is 2 taxes : GST 5% PST 8%.
But to pay for our infrastructure for a country larger in land mass but with 1/10th the population of the U.S. We have to pay substantially  more tax dollars. And our Medicare for "everyone"  is not cheap either.
Seems sometimes like we are in a mad rush to catch up though...:) 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ehp

I pay less for my 461 arctics than my 372 xpgs here . Im sure the 462 will be more but not much more I feel.

HolmenTree

Big news for the Stihl MS462.
Take a look at page 8.
Available in either CM Tronic or regular manual adjustable carb.
But don't hold your breath North Americans , seeing this brochure is addressed Stihl South Africa. 

https://www.stihl.com/p/media/download/en-com/Brochure_MS_462.pdf

teakwood

Awesome! do you know something when they will be available in America? 

ehp

Carb for me please and arctic

Thank You Sponsors!