iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Zealand Earth Quake

Started by dgdrls, July 21, 2013, 08:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Meadows Miller

Looked bloody rough on the news here too   :o:) :( Like yourself I hope everyone is OK and one of the Kiwi's can chime in and let us know Mate

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

JustinW_NZ

All ok here.

We are about 90km's away from where it was, rocked the house a bit but all ok.
My 4 year old decided she doesn't like earth quakes however  :D

Its not quite the same as what hit further down south and cost lives a couple of years ago, but a few people with that very fresh in their mind so people are being pretty careful I feel.

Us Kiwis thank you for your thoughts!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Ianab

Luckily this one was far enough out to sea to not cause too much damage.

We felt it here, 150 miles away. Not severe, but a definite quake that lasted about 30 secs. Had the fish tank water sloshing around. You could tell it was a distant, so I wasn't too worried, but obviously it was a big one. You wonder "who bore the brunt of that".

Wellington city was pretty much shut down today as they checked buildings, cleaned up debris (broken windows etc). Airport was shut down for 1/2 a day, and trains for a day etc.

The series of big quakes around Christchurch that caused the havoc there where right UNDER the city, and shallow, hence the damage and loss of life there.

Lil has a bunch of Australian relatives over (for an uncles funeral). Most of them had never experienced a quake  of any sort (rare in Aussie) so they were a bit freaked out, even though they were ~100+ miles from it.

One of the weird stories was one of the big ferries that sails between the Islands was near the epicentre. At first they though they had hit something as the ship shook and rocked (this is a pretty big ferry that carries railway wagons and large trucks)

NZ has a nickname of The Shaky Isles for a reason  :-\

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

clww

30 seconds is a long time to be shaken around. Glad everyone is fine.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

grweldon

The article in the link said it was 6.9 magnitude, then 6.5.  Anybody know what the true value is?  From what I understand 6.9 is like 40 times more powerful that a 6.5....
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ianab

6.5 is the official figure.

The 6.8 / 6.9 was a "first guess" from the automated stations, and was made a few seconds after the quake, and automatically posted to the NZ and US geological service web pages. After the boffins have a good look at the records from a bunch of different stations they get a more accurate measure.

The scale is also not a very good indication of how bad the shaking is. A 6.0 is pretty bad if it's only a mile beneath you, where a 7.0 may not cause a lot of damage if it's 100 miles deep. (as it's 100 miles away from you to start with)

But they have to put some sort of measure on the quake, and that's the total "power" generated. It doesn't tell you about what area it's spread over. The worst quake in Christchurch was a 6.3, but it was only a couple of miles from the city centre (both horizontal and vertical) so the shaking was severe. The G forces (the actual acceleration) hit about 1.5G, like it bounced people off the ground.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Ianab on July 22, 2013, 03:52:57 PM
6.5 is the official figure.

The 6.8 / 6.9 was a "first guess" from the automated stations, and was made a few seconds after the quake, and automatically posted to the NZ and US geological service web pages. After the boffins have a good look at the records from a bunch of different stations they get a more accurate measure.

The scale is also not a very good indication of how bad the shaking is. A 6.0 is pretty bad if it's only a mile beneath you, where a 7.0 may not cause a lot of damage if it's 100 miles deep. (as it's 100 miles away from you to start with)

But they have to put some sort of measure on the quake, and that's the total "power" generated. It doesn't tell you about what area it's spread over. The worst quake in Christchurch was a 6.3, but it was only a couple of miles from the city centre (both horizontal and vertical) so the shaking was severe. The G forces (the actual acceleration) hit about 1.5G, like it bounced people off the ground.

Ian

yip, and there's just something wrong about watching a 4x4 bounce off the ground while its parked!!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: grweldon on July 22, 2013, 01:53:20 PM
The article in the link said it was 6.9 magnitude, then 6.5.  Anybody know what the true value is?  From what I understand 6.9 is like 40 times more powerful that a 6.5....

Actually, a 6.9 is 2.5x stronger than a 6.5. It's a base-10 logarithmic scale.

10^6.9 = 7,943,282

10^6.5 = 3,162,277

7,943,282/3,162,277 = 2.512

Of course, we're really talking about the amplitude of the waves generated by the quake, not the actual amount of energy released. For every increase of 1 on the Richter scale, the amplitude of the waves is 10 times higher, and the amount of energy released is 31.6 times greater.

But all that aside, I'm glad our Kiwi friends seem to be OK. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

dgdrls

When I was shopping for a new mill I had correspondence with Layla at Peterson mills
and Steph at Mahoe mills. 

I sent them both emails just to say we were thinking of them and hoping they were all well.
I heard back from both,  all doing fine.

I have an email out to Greg at Rimu mills also, he was another fellow I spoke with from NZ.
waiting to hear from him.

pretty amazing this internet is.

DGD

Martha White Nelson

Martha

soutz

We were in Rarotonga at the time and our main fear was tsunami being on the coast at home in waihi beach. we had a few wellingtonians on the island and they were pretty upset. We are such a small nation that we all know some one that this type of thing effects.
Just glad no one lost their life in this one unlike Christchurch a while back, but as they say, keep calm and carry on.
thank for the concern

Thank You Sponsors!