iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing logs longer than the mill on WM LT40

Started by Bibbyman, August 17, 2003, 02:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We had to saw one log today that was longer than the mill.  Here is how we do it.

Start with extra length sticking out the operator's end of the mill and butt just as close to the other end you can get and still saw out the end. Put flats on all four faces.

Saw as much as you can off of the four faces while the small end is sticking past the hitch end of the mill. Once you've got four flat faces, raise the toe boards and push the log forward until you can saw into the end.  Saw far enough so that you can push the log back and finish the cut.  In the case of our 25' log,  the first cut would have to be at least 4'.

With first few feet of log sawn, back the head up,  raise the toe boards just a little, push the log back far enough to saw out the end. Lower toe boards, find saw height settings and saw out the end.

Once you have four nice faces, you've about got it licked.  Here Mary is starting another cut on her end. Note about 5' of log sticking out the other end.

Mary finishing up making 4 2x6s,1 2x8, and 1 6x6 all 25' long. Also, a couple of short boards.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

That's slick Bibby! 8) 8)  I'm sorta slow and never would have figured out what you were saying without the pictures.  Sure beats the way I did it. ???

Got some 20' boards to cut this fall on my 16' bed.  Looking forward to it now. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

Roller toe boards and the cantilever head make it a lot easier. 8)

I took probably 20 pictures but I neglected to get one with the roller toe boards raising the cant just a little and one of us pushing it back or forwards.  I was pushin' or pullin'.

With a good flat on the cant,  one person can pull or push it.  Mary sawed out a bunch of long sycamore for a shed last year by herself.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

"Roller toe boards and the cantilever head make it a lot easier."

You reading my mind? :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!