iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am so ready.............

Started by Woodhauler, February 20, 2013, 02:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

For this winter that wasn't to end!!!  Mills shutting off, New Page laying off 45 people in rumford, and the politictions telling us the economy is turning aroud! Heard on the news this am, if every man women and child gave 54,000$ to the us goverement we could pay off the debt! Next winter i am going to be better prepaired for this! Hope the wood markets come back this summer! :(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

I read about the 45 layoffs in today's paper. That is too bad. By the way what winter?? :D  I know what you mean. First it's cold than warm,repeat 4-5 times and that has been our winter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GATreeGrower

Havent even had a good freeze here :(  I am worried the pine bugs will hit our area

chevytaHOE5674

Come on UP we have plenty of winter for everybody. Cold temps and getting close to 200 inches of snow now and its only February. Wood work is starting to slow a tad in places as the deep snow makes things a little harder. On a job I have going they are processing with a tracked timbco and it gets around just fine, but they are having to use a dozer to plow some snow off so they can get the forwarder to the piles.

ArborJake

Im sick of winter too. Doesn't much matter how the winter has been, by feb. I,m always getting tired of it. You get a little taste of spring here and there but its not really winter and its shure isn't spring. Roads here are starting to pitch and heave so not too much longer.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

colincb183

300 lay offs to come at the Wisconsin Rapids, WI NewPage plant. 

thecfarm

300  :o  That is not good. About how many work there?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Got word on a sawmill opening up at an existing facility on the Mirimachi. 100 jobs in the mill, 200 in the bush. Opening in June. A Quebec company.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

colincb183

Quote from: thecfarm on February 21, 2013, 06:45:30 AM
300  :o  That is not good. About how many work there?

I don't know for sure, last I knew it was at least 2000. I think there's even more than that.

colincb183

I take that back, there's 1700 employed at that mill.  But the 300 layoffs was company wide, not just at that plant.  Still bad pretty news

thecfarm

That's a big mill. Part of the 300 came from Rumford,Maine as woodhauler posted.

Ken

Although I don't like to wish time away I am also looking forward to my first mosquito bite.  It seems like the cold weather has caused at least one breakdown issue every day that can be attributed to cold weather combined with old machinery.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Woodhauler

Played the waiting game with temps all nite! Itsaid low 20s and right now its 29!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

coxy

im with ken cant seem to work with out working on skidder every day or two :(

Stephen Alford

A little open water, some heat in the sun and daylight after Five.  Alls good.   8)

logon

Thank You Sponsors!