iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log dogs

Started by JPM, May 03, 2006, 11:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPM

i'm looking to replace the log dogs on my home made procut mill because i have 8 bolts to loosing and retight every time i move a log.
Could some one post pics of the manual ones on your mills .I'd love hyd.ones but with a 8hp's it's not going to happen
thanks  j

WkndCutter

The manual log dogs I have on my Hud-son mill work well.  I'm not sure if they would work on your mill or not.  Bmail me if you have any questions.

Andy

Frank_Pender

Before I acquire the only two hydraulic log dog mills that Mobile Dimension build, I sure like the spring loaded units that Mobile made.  You would also need their bunks to really make the dogs work most efficiently.
Frank Pender

Qweaver

I have been fighting slipping and hard to tighten dogs since I bought my LT 15 last spring.  I built this one a few weeks ago and it works great...no slipping and I can easily get just the right force against the log. The square tube is 1.5"x 1.5" and the S/S bolt and nut is 1.25" UNC.  Now I need to sandblast and paint it...maybe next winter.

Quinton

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Trent

I'm in the process of building stops and dogs. I have 3 stops and dogs on the stationary side. How many movable type will I need to build for the other side?  Trent
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

rbarshaw

I have since changed the wood buncks to steel I-beams and welded the pipe flush with the top of the I-beam so the clamps and pipe don't carry any of the weight of the log.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

JPM

thanks for the reply's. Sorry i took so long to respond but stuff happens.Andy if you have pics of the hud-son's i'd like to see them because i'm running a oscar 28 on the procut base   thanks   j

WkndCutter

J,

I'll get some pictures for you. 

I have to admit I kind of like the pipe clamp idea.

Andy 

rbarshaw

Here is a picture of how I actually did it. The clamps are both adjustable so the wood can be placed anywhere across the bed.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

tomboysawyer

I don't own this mill any more, but when I bought it (a Norwood Mark IV) the guy who sold it to me gave me the option of the "homemade" Amish-designed log dog or the original Norwood screw thing.

He showed us how both worked and we didn't hesitate to choose this one over all that screwing.

This is really slick. The bottom tube slides on that solid round stock. When there is no tension on the dog, you can slide it wherever you want. Plus it turns around that round stock to adjust for different size logs. The handle is a cam, much like the Woodmizer cam except instead of the cam pushing into the wood, a nice dog tip pushes into the wood. With pressure on the dog, the slightly larger cylinder of the bottom tube locks into the round stock.

I have hydraulics on my new mill, which does save my back a LOT, but there are times, especially with small stuff, I really miss the simplicity of this dog and its design. I might just have to make another one and put it on my Frankenmizer.

sawguy21

It will never work. It's too simple :D :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!