iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up some Red Elm today!

Started by burtle, July 22, 2018, 08:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burtle

A local guy on facebook was giving away a red elm tree he cut down. I've never messed with red elm. I have these two longs and I have two more about half the size of these.

Do any of you mill Red Elm? What do you generally build with it? I plan on building a book shelf out of some of the boards, cutting boards, and I might sell some of it. I'm not too sure just yet. I need to get it milled and kiln dried before I make too many plans with the boards.

<br

>

Never Give Up

4x4American

I cut them into RR ties and pallet lumber.  Some people ask for it for trailer decking as well, supposedly it holds up real well.  It's kinda stringy like how spruce is.  
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Red elm is the wood of choice here for bulldozer trailer decks.  Every time I announce a fresh load of elm boards on our webpage, I get calls from guys who own tracked vehicle trailers.  It's really tough and resilient wood.  If somebody ever comes at you with a baseball bat, pick up a stick of elm and you'll win.   :D :D

The wood has a very nice, feathered grain useful for furniture grade wood.  

It moves a lot when it dries and it is very restless.  Parrallel bark sawing and not crossing the sapwood heartwood boundaries unless necessary are helpful.  Careful balanced sawing will help prevent twisting. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

burtle

Quote from: 4x4American on July 22, 2018, 09:01:57 PM
I cut them into RR ties and pallet lumber.  Some people ask for it for trailer decking as well, supposedly it holds up real well.  It's kinda stringy like how spruce is.  
Ah, the more research I do the more I see people using it for things like that.
I'll put it to use I know that.
Never Give Up

burtle

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 22, 2018, 09:27:31 PM
Red elm is the wood of choice here for bulldozer trailer decks.  Every time I announce a fresh load of elm boards on our webpage, I get calls from guys who own tracked vehicle trailers.  It's really tough and resilient wood.  If somebody ever comes at you with a baseball bat, pick up a stick of elm and you'll win.   :D :D

The wood has a very nice, feathered grain useful for furniture grade wood.  

It moves a lot when it dries and it is very restless.  Parrallel bark sawing and not crossing the sapwood heartwood boundaries unless necessary are helpful.  Careful balanced sawing will help prevent twisting.
It sounds tough indeed. I will use it to make a few ramps to load my mower, four wheeler etc..up on the trailer with now.
The rest will be for projects. Sounds like it would be great for cutting boards.
Thanks for all of the tips and advice
Never Give Up

Klicker

2006 LT 40 HD

nativewolf

Veneer guys are paying top dollar for good logs.
Liking Walnut

WDH

Elm has spiral grain, that is why it is so tough.  Practically unsplittable. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jack S

I remember that the ol timers always said use  elm in horse stalls because of it being so narly and tough . Horse shoes wouldn't tear it up

Brad_bb

Red Elm aka Slippery Elm, is nice and a lot of uses.  I milled out of my stash as a mantle for a buddy a couple months ago.  It can be used for furniture.  I have two whole logs about 22 inch dia that have a lot of fluting on the outside I'll use whole in an entryway.  The wood grain itself is beautiful, but the fluting on the outside of some of the older ones can be really cool.  Some say it stinks a bit as you mill it, but I don't think it's that bad, and it goes away when dry.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tmbrcruiser

I mill about 1,000 bf of 1" x 6" that was used as paneling in a "Trapper's Shack" ( party shack). Once is kilned and milled it is very nice.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

4x4American

The locals around here pronounce it el-um.   How do yous guys says it? lol
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

They must have relatives from the South :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Here, city slickers pronounce it "Elm" but the country folk pronounce it "el-um." Not sure why it's so, but I'd like to know the story.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

burtle

Quote from: Klicker on July 23, 2018, 06:42:37 AM
It makes a great bow

That's a good idea! I will look into that.

Quote from: nativewolf on July 23, 2018, 07:50:38 AM
Veneer guys are paying top dollar for good logs.

Send them my way :laugh:
Quote from: WDH on July 23, 2018, 08:25:49 AM
Elm has spiral grain, that is why it is so tough.  Practically unsplittable.  

I'm leaning towards live edge 2 1/4"-2 1/2" slabs for counter tops, table tops, mantles etc...

I ordered a chainsaw mill to mill these since my local sawmill can't handle them due to being too big

I will post more pictures once I start milling them.
I'm excited to see what they look like on the inside.

Never Give Up

burtle

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 23, 2018, 09:49:04 AM
Red Elm aka Slippery Elm, is nice and a lot of uses.  I milled out of my stash as a mantle for a buddy a couple months ago.  It can be used for furniture.  I have two whole logs about 22 inch dia that have a lot of fluting on the outside I'll use whole in an entryway.  The wood grain itself is beautiful, but the fluting on the outside of some of the older ones can be really cool.  Some say it stinks a bit as you mill it, but I don't think it's that bad, and it goes away when dry.

I can smell it just sitting on my trailer. I don't think it smells bad though. i can see where some people would think that. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like inside. We will know...soon.
Quote from: tmbrcruiser on July 23, 2018, 10:23:58 AM
I mill about 1,000 bf of 1" x 6" that was used as paneling in a "Trapper's Shack" ( party shack). Once is kilned and milled it is very nice.

I bet it turned out well!
Never Give Up

curved-wood

Not shure but I think red elm bark was the original active ingredient for fighting ache. The active ingredient was sythetised and gave the ASPIRINE

WV Sawmiller

My grandfather in NW Fla pronounced it el-um too. I don't ever remember seeing any there so don't know where he ever saw it.

I mostly tie bushhooks/limblines to it on the Bluestone lake 8.5 miles away and catch a lot of catfish under it. Never sawed any yet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

Elm is easy to saw but very difficult to make flat lumber. It will buckle, twist, bow and cup [and not dry thoroughly] worse than any wood I have handled. However it does not spiral crack like Pepperidge.  In spite of these difficulties I think it is the most beautiful of the Appalachian hard woods. Cut it thick, put sticks close and tons of weight. Powder post beetles love elm.      As 4x4 says, in the Adirondacks elm has two syllables.

burtle

Quote from: moodnacreek on July 29, 2018, 10:07:40 AM
Elm is easy to saw but very difficult to make flat lumber. It will buckle, twist, bow and cup [and not dry thoroughly] worse than any wood I have handled. However it does not spiral crack like Pepperidge.  In spite of these difficulties I think it is the most beautiful of the Appalachian hard woods. Cut it thick, put sticks close and tons of weight. Powder post beetles love elm.      As 4x4 says, in the Adirondacks elm has two syllables.
Any advice on how to combat the beetles?

I'm going to mill these two logs next weekend.

I plan to sticker/stack them at my house for at least 6 months before taking them to a kiln to dry.

Unless you guys suggest I cut them and put them in a kiln sooner ?

I will cut them to 2 1/2" thick

Never Give Up

moodnacreek

It is said that the ppb's lay the eggs on the rough lumber in june,  so if you get it k.ded before next june there should be no problem.

WDH

To be safe, you could spray them with a 15% solution of disodium octborate tetrahydrate. 

burtle

Quote from: WDH on July 29, 2018, 07:28:29 PM
To be safe, you could spray them with a 15% solution of disodium octborate tetrahydrate.

Ah, I will look into that!

I will let it air dry until May of 2019 and then get it to the kiln to be safe.
Never Give Up

Thank You Sponsors!