iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

044 ,weird stalling/idling problem, any ideas?

Started by skipster, September 01, 2015, 04:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipster

My old 044 starts up ok,revs and cuts like a demon, but stalls regularly,usually after a cut as I'm moving around limbing.
Starts again straight away,cuts great, then if i dont keep revving it, ppphhhht (usually a split second before i give it some gas! i swear,it reads my mind)
Cleaned out the carbie, went to set the idle,and found that the idle adjustment screw does absolutely nothing ,no change at all no matter which way i turn it.
So,I'm presuming this has something to do with my stalling,but what?
The Stihl dealer reckons the carbie is kaput,and is very happy to sell me a new one,but at $150 AUSD I'm hoping theres an easier answer.
Any clues,oh wise and wizened ones?

ZeroJunk

You can buy one on eBay for less than $20 shipped that will work fine.

Weekend_Sawyer

My 044 started running poorly and it turned out to be the gas line.
It felt like it was slightly melted. I ordered a couple of spares.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Mountaineer

Check your base gasket.  Don't know what to say about the carb screw.  I just know that an older 372 I had did this when I first bought it.  And, the carb adjustments didn't faze it.  I'd start it.  It would run decent but, when idling for a brief bit, it would die. Got weak and would not idle once hot.  The dimwit that I bought it off of bent the low end adjustment screw removing the caps.  I figured it was sucking air or, the carb was fouled up.  So, I just put it aside until having time to tear into it and fix the ailments.  I bought it with the idea I was going to trick it a bit anyways.  So, not the ed of the world if things need rebuilt.  But, I had plans to use that dang jug. 

Meanwhile, I broke down and bought a new carb for it in preparation.  I installed it once starting on the endeavor a couple months ago.  No change.  So, I tore into it.  When breaking it down, I found the head bolts loose.  It turned out the base gasket had come apart underneath it.  I knew I was in trouble as soon as I got the top end plastics off and saw the blow by.  The saw was sucking air and had done so for a long time since I hadn't even run a tank through it since buying it a year earlier.  It ruined the jug.  Which were OEM stuff.  PO'ed me I was dumb enough to buy something from a stranger and assume he was telling the truth about it.

Anyways  that is my guess.  Check your head bolts and if they are loose, get the jug off and asses damage done.  And hope, you caught it soon enough if this is the problem.  God bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

nitehawk55

When you say it revs and cuts like a demon , do you think it's revving higher then it should ? Unfortunately a lot of times when a saw is running a bit lean the person thinks it's really working well but there is a serious problem that's going to cook it !

I just had an 046 in from one of my tree service customers who I had preached to "that if it starts running strange in any way stop using it" and he did thankfully . In this case it was revving high at idle so the chain kept spinning . At first I thought it might be the carb because the revs were holding nice at WOT but on closer inspection found a section of the case gasket was blown out .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

WV Mountaineer

Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 03, 2015, 11:16:14 PM
When you say it revs and cuts like a demon , do you think it's revving higher then it should ? Unfortunately a lot of times when a saw is running a bit lean the person thinks it's really working well but there is a serious problem that's going to cook it !

I just had an 046 in from one of my tree service customers who I had preached to "that if it starts running strange in any way stop using it" and he did thankfully . In this case it was revving high at idle so the chain kept spinning . At first I thought it might be the carb because the revs were holding nice at WOT but on closer inspection found a section of the case gasket was blown out .

Exactly.  When first fooling with the 372 I described above, it did this.  Which is why I went to adjusting the carb to no avail.  If it is running like a demon at WOT but, won't idle, I'm betting it is the cylinder gasket leaking.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

grassfed

Make sure that you double check your airscrews. You want to screw them in until they seat (all the way in but don't turn them in hard) and then unscrew them to the factory base setting (usually 1-2 turns out your manual should tell you ). I have seen what you said about the idle screw not making a difference happen because the low speed airscrew was too far out of adjustment. Fuel line/ fuel filter should also be replaced if they are more than a year old. Alcohol in the gas makes the fuel line get hard and then it can get small cracks that can cause intermittent stalling
Mike

Texas-Jim

Do you know how pressure check the crankcase? There are lot of things that act like a carb. Just a slight air leak at a crank seal or as was said above the case seal can give you all kinds of fits.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

skipster

had the local Stihl guy check for crankcase/gasket leaks,and theyre fine

ladrhog

Buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQYUA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61

And do a vac and pressure test.  I wouldn't believe a dealer.  I get some of my best saw deals from a dealer because he can't diagnose the problems.  I would bet a leaky flywheel side seal.  With a little time and this kit you can test your saw and all the fuel lines, impulse line, and carb.  You will have to build some block off plates but if you can run a drill and have an old inner tube laying around it is relatively easy.  If you need any help let me know and I'll show you all my block off plates. 
**new to me ms441**
ms200t           
ms362
ms260
026 pro
Pioneer p-41

skipster

I think your right about dealers!
He said "no leaks" then sold me a new carbie ($$$)
got the saw home and it ran beautifully until it warmed up,then Bingo,stalling again.
so,its definitely a pressure leak then?

ZeroJunk

Take your tank vent off, take the worm screw out and clean it.

If that doesn't help take the impulse line off and check it closely for a crack.

If that doesn't help try another ignition module.

And, there is no way I would buy a carb or ignition module from a Stihl dealer. Their pricing is simply outlandish.

I bought four carbs for Stihl last week. The most expensive was 19.95 and two were 7.98 and that includes shipping.

I don't mind Stihl making a little money, but that discrepancy is just too much.

skipster

Thank You Sponsors!